Motoring Discussion > Cabriolets Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 18

Cabriolets - Fullchat
On my motorcycle today on a 30MPH contraflow stretch. Running alongside a Mini cabriolet.
29 deg.
The roof was well and truly closed. It crossed my mind, why bother? Hot sunny days are few and far between as it is :)
 Cabriolets - carmalade
Far too hot to have the roof down . My bmw gets the lid flipped down when temperatures are mild .
 Cabriolets - R.P.
I thought the same at one time...before multiple MX5s came into my life. I now realise that there is only a narrow window for roof down fun.
 Cabriolets - bathtub tom
Roof folding mechanism failed? I believe they're known to.

No point in using a/c with roof open?
 Cabriolets - Runfer D'Hills
Tchah!
As our dear departed friend used to exclaim.
My Westfield always had the roof off all year unless it was raining or snowing. It didn’t have a heater and we lived 1200’ above sea level in rural Scotland.
It was also occasionally to be found in the South of France in high summer.
No such thing as the wrong weather if you are wearing the right clothes.
;-)

(Have I ever told you about that car?)
 Cabriolets - legacylad
I progressed from a Triumph Spitfire ( in BRG) via a new Mk1 Elise ( divorce present to self) to my 330 convertible.
Roof down whenever it wasn’t raining. Even when snowxwas on the ground. Warm clothes in winter. Factor 30 in summer.

I see plenty of convertibles roof down when 30C+ when on holiday in Cyprus & Turkey during the summer months.

About time I bought another...just chatting about that tonight with friends...I’ll reassess when back from Spain late autumn.
 Cabriolets - Dog
www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/10-best-convertibles-for-10000-less-britain-heatwave-used/
 Cabriolets - zippy
The Nissan appeals.

A bit left field, not many about, reasonably reliable.

I haven't looked at prices but a Honda S2000 might fit the bill but not quite as aggressively styled as the Nissan.

I miss my Audi A4 cabriolet, 3.2l v6 rocket. Had the roof down whenever I could.
 Cabriolets - legacylad
From memory, the S2000 was in its element when being driven hard and given plenty of revs.

My own experience of open top motoring is that I drove slower with the roof down...I’ve never owned a cabrio whilst living in the city so was fortunate to enjoy open top motoring in the countryside on my doorstep.

Owning another is an itch which won’t go away....hence a pano roof on my past recent cars ..GRY excepted.
 Cabriolets - Zero
>> From memory, the S2000 was in its element when being driven hard and given plenty
>> of revs.

Husband of a friend of her indoors has an S2000, I was complimenting him saying it was really good choice for a classic rag top. And it is, in so many ways. He tho swelled with so much pride he went on to say it would cane the pants off my Beemer.

So we did the deed late one night.

He lost. Badly. TBF some of his horses had died of old age no doubt.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Jun 23 at 11:19
 Cabriolets - Dog
I miss my 948cc Triumph Herald convertible - cost me all of £30 back in '72 + another £30 for the welding!

I always had the hood down on that and the MGB Roadster ... I wore the white scarf too.

:o}
 Cabriolets - carmalade
Looks like they’ve forgotten one of the best value cabriolet models . What about the BMW E 46 . ? . Far superior built than the later E 93
 Cabriolets - legacylad
A good friend sold his E46 330 for a new 335i petrol. Proved unreliable over a few years of ownership, which he putdown to it being a ‘Friday afternoon’ car. His following 335i was equally unreliable.
 Cabriolets - Dog
One 'ere for the jocks: www.carandclassic.com/car/C1444016
 Cabriolets - Boxsterboy
Mrs BB has had her CLK (180K) cabriolet for 13 years now, before which she had another CLK cabriolet (V6 240). She won’t have anything else as her ‘summer car’ but the infrequent use is doing the electronics no good at all. And now the hood has flaps sticking out where they should be tucked in (I suspect some of the elastics have gone). The mechanism is fearfully complicated and is not really a car i want to hang on to for much longer!
 Cabriolets - BiggerBadderDave
'the hood has flaps sticking out where they should be tucked in'

Nothing a good labiaplasty surgeon couldn't sort out.
 Cabriolets - legacylad
BBD...I bow to your superior knowledge.

I’m so glad that’s beyond my area of expertise
 Cabriolets - BiggerBadderDave
More of a hobby, really...
 Cabriolets - Boxsterboy
>> 'the hood has flaps sticking out where they should be tucked in'
>>
>> Nothing a good labiaplasty surgeon couldn't sort out.
>>

Thanks! I'll tell the wife! :-)
Latest Forum Posts