Motoring Discussion > Diesel cheaper than petrol Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Diesel cheaper than petrol - Bobby
In Costco in Glasgow tonight.

Diesel 131.9
Petrol 134.9

Can’t remember the last time I saw diesel cheapest?
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - sooty123
I think quite a few costcos are the same selling diesel cheaper than petrol.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - Lygonos
Heating oil demand collapsed presumably.
Happens every year this year is much lower, probably down to Ukraine as refineries started to switch over.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - Bromptonaut
>> In Costco in Glasgow tonight.
>>
>> Diesel 131.9
>> Petrol 134.9
>>
>> Can’t remember the last time I saw diesel cheapest?

Supply demand thing I think.

Diesel is a similar refining fraction to domestic heating oil, demand for which drops in the Northern Hemisphere summer. OTOH there's more call for petrol in the US/Europe summer holiday season.

No doubt Ukraine/Russia distorts that to some degree too and in ways which vary.

Also, you're in Scotland which seems to be a different market vis a vis petrol/diesel at least in some parts.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - legacylad
Diesel dropped 2p litre at my local garage yesterday. Now identically priced.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - Lygonos
New diesel car sales have been in the toilet for the last couple of years: now being outsold by EVs.

Demand for DERV is going to keep falling.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - Duncan
>> New diesel car sales have been in the toilet for the last couple of years:
>> now being outsold by EVs.

But if last year you (one) thought that diesel was the best buy, why wouldn't you think it was right this year?

In 2030 - unless they change it again - you won't be able to buy diesel, doesn't it make sense to buy one now before they reduce the variety of models on offer?
i would imagine supply will reduce in the near term to keep prices high. Good to see lower prices at least for a while, especially compared to last winter.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - legacylad
Has the price of second hand diesel cars dropped much ? I’m not in the market for one, but a friend has a Yeti 2.0 Tdi 4x4 and prices he’s been offered for it seem surprisingly strong.
 Diesel cheaper than petrol - Runfer D'Hills
I think it’s a great time to have a diesel that you’ve long since paid for, have no intention of selling in the foreseeable future but that is still very useable and useful.
Latest Forum Posts