Motoring Discussion > NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 6

NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - zippy
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1155226/rother-valley-decision-letter.pdf

Save for a small stretch of dual carriage way around Lamberhurst, the A21 from London to Hastings is single carriageway between Royal Tunbridge Wells and Hastings.

The A21 is one of the most dangerous A roads in the south of England.

It's the only main road in to Hastings, which is one of the poorest towns in the South East, and which has been crying out for better transport links to encourage investment and jobs growth.

The Govt. has decided to allow a level crossing across the Robertsbridge by pass for the Rother Valley Railway - a hobby railway that serves no other purpose then as a tourist railway. Apparently a bridge or tunnel is unsuitable. This will cause delays and frustrated drivers will no doubt try to make up time with dangerous overtaking manoeuvres on an already dangerous road.

To allow such an organisation to build a level crossing (and allow the compulsory purchase of land from people who have confirmed that they don't want to sell it) is outrageous considering this is not an infrastructure project that will benefit anyone by the people that run the hobby railway.

The comments made in the report re congestion make it clear that no-one writing it has actually travelled on the A21 recently or even put a temporary restriction in place to mirror the effect of a level crossing - if they did - they would realise that traffic would quickly build up around the area as it does when there are minor accidents.

Thousands have protested against this, signed petitions and representations and have been ignored.

Rant over.
 NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - Bromptonaut
How many trains a day will run at peak midsummer?

Will it operate at all, other than perhaps weekends and 'Santa Specials' in the winter?
 NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - zippy
10:00 to 16:00 daily with reduced services out of season.

Expect a crossing every hour minimum, but in reality the level crossing is near the terminus so there will be an in and out in relatively quick succession.

There is a very steep hill down in to Robertsbidge with a roundabout at the bottom. The crossing will be on the 1980s built bypass and will cause queuing down the hill which has sharp bends and cars can pick up some speed going down it, I guarantee some drivers won't stop on time and will hit queuing vehicles. there used to be an escape lane there. They will also queue on the roundabout, blocking access from the adjoining roads.

NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - R.P.
I was meant to ride that way after my Netherlands trip (time and a infected finger) prevented me visiting a former colleague who fell on hard times through no fault of his own. He's ended up living in Hastings. My one and only visit there quite a few years ago now confirms my impression that it was pretty pverty struck.

Might divert during this year's trip to northern France
 NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - Bromptonaut
So based on the KESR, to which this is effectively an extension, we're looking at 4-5 trains per day each way. The proposed level crossing is close to a roundabout. Is it before or after the speed limit becomes NSL?

I can't see barriers being up/down 10 times a day for a minute or two while a train passes causing too much mayhem tbh.

While the hobbyists/volunteers running the trains will get much pleasure from it (if it ever opens of course!). But the main beneficiaries will be the passengers, mainly tourists/visitors, who will spend money on their fares and in the shops around the Robertsbridge station.
 NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - Zero
Yes the A21 is a crap road, it has many speed limits, restrictions lots of holdups in many places

A twice an hour level crossing is not going to make slightest difference to an already slow route.

Lot of nimby fuss over not much.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Jun 23 at 13:31
 NEW Level Crossing on A21 for hobby railway - Rudedog
Also the A21 is DC from where it peals off from the M25 at the Sevenoaks-bypass near me then is DC all the way down past Tonbridge before it gets to TW - some of the parts up at the start are downright dangerous with the surface very bad for a NSL road.
Latest Forum Posts