Motoring Discussion > Reference to your car (or another). Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 11

Reference to your car (or another). - FotheringtonTomas
Only an observation: If it's OK to refer to your car (?) as "the XF", or "the CC3", or whatever, why not refer to, for instance, your "MINI Cooper D Clubman" as "the Clubman", or even "The D", or refer to "The Hardtop", "The L1", for what-have-yout? Just as meaningful.
 Reference to your car (or another). - Old Sock
Just as meaningful pretentious?
 Reference to your car (or another). - Dave_
>> pretentious?

Whenever I get shot of an old heap on eBay, I always refer to it as "she". I don't know why.
 Reference to your car (or another). - bathtub tom
We always give our cars a female name, something the number plate inspires. Currently Gracey and blondie.
 Reference to your car (or another). - Mike Hannon
I never, ever, call the Beast the Jaaaaag...
 Reference to your car (or another). - Runfer D'Hills
Can't post what I used to call the Espace...
 Reference to your car (or another). - Dave_
>> the Jaaaaag...

You slaaaaag...
 Reference to your car (or another). - R.P.
Dunno - Generally by the make, sometimes by the model designation - recently ?

Skoda was the Roomie,

Honda was the CRV

Trying to avoid Beemer - probably will be called the BMW

Bikes

The BMW R1200GS was plain old GS, the RT is the RT - a Kawasaki ER6-F which shares the garage is the Kwaker and the wife's YBR125 is Kato - don't ask.
 Reference to your car (or another). - Stuu
Mine is known as the Korean Expresso or Expresso for short - nobody knows what an Espero is and not that many know what a Daewoo is, so name dropping is a bit of boasting cul-de-sac.
 Reference to your car (or another). - WillDeBeest
The one I don't get is using manufacturers' internal designations as if everyone understood them. I can just about get Mercedes - I was surprised the other day to see an old E bearing the registration W211... - but the E39 or Astra G stuff defeats me. How about just using the year to indicate which type of Astra?

My car is 'my Volvo'. Mrs Beest's is 'our Verso'. (Other cars named after Latin verbs are available.). The other essential on most user forums - shamefully neglected here - is to have a signature that lists all your cars, cameras, lawnmowers or whatever, whether relevant to the discussion or not.
 Reference to your car (or another). - Cliff Pope
Funny how my wife always calls the car she mostly uses "my car" but when it goes wrong or needs petrol it becomes "our car", or in dire circumstances, "your car".
 Reference to your car (or another). - Crankcase
I understand some people use this convention with their children too.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 12:43
Latest Forum Posts