Motoring Discussion > What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 Buying / Selling
Thread Author: oldnotbold Replies: 16

What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - oldnotbold
The present Mrs ONB is bored of her very reliable 01 Focus 1.6 auto. She fancies a change.

Her first thought was a three year-old A3, but they AT suggests they come in at £10,000 (staggering), but she's not sold on another Focus - too ordinary for her.

Requirements:

Auto
Four years old or less, ideally three, sub 60k

Doesn't need to be a five door hatch, convertibles out (we have one already)

Seems she wants a premium-ish badge, so no Renaults, Pugs, Citroens, bad-ish experiences with 90s VWs, but she might go back.

Budget £7500 inc what she gets for the Focus, from a trade seller.
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Netsur
Volvo C30?
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - oldnotbold
Isn't that a Focus in a fancy frock? Good idea though, I'll check them out.
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Alanovich
Merc C-Class, 3 door hatch thingy? Seem to be some around your budget on Autotrader, around 06 plate.
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - oilburner
Sadly, I don't think you'll get much in the way of premium motors at that age and mileage for that price.

I thought of the C30 too, but check the prices out... The cheapest auto nation-wide is £9,990. 3 years old and 40k miles on it. Nice though, 2.4 five pot in SE trim.
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Focusless
>> Sadly I don't think you'll get much in the way of premium motors at that
>> age and mileage for that price.

Yep, if you search on Autotrader for <£8k <60k <3 years old autos, then you click on the 'Make' drop-down, it shows how many results there are for each make. There aren't many Audis/BMWs/Mercs.

Next age up is 5 years which gives a few more results - 3 Audi A4s, 0 BMWs and 3 C class Mercs (40 odd A class).

EDIT: and one of the A4s is '120 miles' ie. 120k.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 12:32
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Mapmaker
SUBARU Impreza
>> SUBARU Impreza

...although not many around - Autotrader says there's only one (in Cardiff) that meets the other criteria apart from being a 2005 (55).
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Haywain
I'll never get to grips with the mentality that says "I want something that's not as good as a Focus, and I want to pay more for it because of what it says on the badge". I suppose that this is the burden of my scientific training.
But find me a nice three door Focus with a coupe body? - Answer - Volvo C30!
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Dog
>>> But find me a nice three door Focus with a coupe body? - Answer - Volvo C30! <<<

Yer, I think I'd plump for the C30 as well, I had a 3 door Focus Zetec auto about 3 years ago - nice car + drove well.
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Avant
A Golf would be cheaper than an A3, but in either case a secondhand DSG-equipped care might be something of a gamble. (I assume it's not the reliability that she's bored with!)

If it's lack of performance that is the issue, a 2.0 Focus might be an idea.

Or a Honda Jazz CVT - I think these have proved to be reliable.

Or a Mercedes A- or B-class - but don't go for the diesel CVT unless you are immune to noise and vibration.

All that said, the C30 does seem like a good idea. I can't remember what engines you can get it with other than the 1.6.
The C30 came with a 2.4 5-cyl petrol and diesel as well as 1.6 and 2.0 engines. For me it is the modern equivalent of the Scimitar and needs a large torquey engine like the 2.4.
Another alternative - Hyundai Coupe. Not a premium brand but a good looking car with a great warranty and probably available for little money, especially the 2.7V6 auto.
>> The C30 came with a 2.4 5-cyl petrol and diesel as well as 1.6 and
>> 2.0 engines. For me it is the modern equivalent of the Scimitar and needs a
>> large torquey engine like the 2.4.

Cheapest C30 on Autodtrader is £8.5k and that's got 72k miles - there's a few 1.6/1.8s for £9k with lower miles, but they're manuals. Cheapest 2.4 auto is £10k :(
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Fenlander
If Mrs ONB is bored with the reliable Focus surely a Renault is the answer for some excitement?

Seriously though does she want greater performance, a more comfortable ride, quality feeling build, a badge to impress... or just something different for a few years??

Are you sure a 2005-on shape Focus/Astra in a decent trim level wouldn't appeal?
 What car for 'er indoors? Budget £7500 - Londoner
How about a Golf? Looking on AT, you can get a decent automatic and 4 years old, and under 40,000 miles for about £8 grand.
(Although, I'd have to say that you could get a newer, better Ford Focus for the same money - but if that's what higher management wants.....)
Latest Forum Posts