Motoring Discussion > My experience with Autotrader Buying / Selling
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 20

My experience with Autotrader - VxFan
I recently advertised a car on there. Very clear and easy to use menus made creating the advert a doddle.

No interest so far however, but that's another story. I had a couple of text messages from other companies trying to offer their services, namely cardata and wewillbuyyourcar.com

I'm also getting annoyed with cardata continually phoning me on a daily basis. What part of "remove me from your records, I am not interested" do they not understand? If I wanted to use their services then I would have approached them and not Autotrader.

Does anyone bother taking up the offers from these other companies?

Is there something like TPS (telephone preference system) that I could use to stop these so called marketing calls?

I'm glad now that I used a spare PAYG number in the advertisement instead of my day to day mobile number.
 My experience with Autotrader - bathtub tom
On the advice here I sold my last car through piston heads.
Might have to look into that. Is it free or do you have to become a paid member beforehand?
 My experience with Autotrader - bathtub tom
It was free and you can include a few photos.
 My experience with Autotrader - DP
When I sold my Volvo earlier this year, I used the free option on Autotrader to display a forwarding number in the ad rather than my landline or mobile number. This is a "fake" number in the ad, which forwards all calls to a nominated number (i.e. your landline or mobile) while filtering out many of the numbers used by the canvassers.
Whatever, it seemed to work. Not one canvasser called me, and like you I usually get plagued.
I recall a year or so ago when selling a car, I got a call from one of these agencies, who convincingly pretended to be a prospective punter. Wasted several minutes of my time asking loads of questions, and then when it came to arranging a time to come and look at the car, came clean and said "we're actually an agency". I can't repeat here what I said (or shouted) down the phone before hanging up.
>> I used the free option on Autotrader to display a forwarding number

Ah, Telesafe. Didn't bother with that option for a couple of reasons.

The negative comments I found whilst googling people's views of Telesafe.

The cost of calling a Telesafe number. I'd certainly think twice about calling one, as I'm sure potential buyers would too.

My experience with Autotrader - midlifecrisis
Another big thumbs up for Pistonheads. (And it's free)
 My experience with Autotrader - Chris S
>> I'm also getting annoyed with cardata continually phoning me on a daily basis.
>> What part of "remove me from your records, I am not interested" do they not
>> understand?

Say "Just a minute please" and leave them on hold. The longest anyone has remained was 10 minutes. Nobody phoned back again.
Last edited by: Chris S on Tue 5 Oct 10 at 12:19
 My experience with Autotrader - Iffy
...Say "Just a minute please" and leave them on hold. The longest anyone has remined was 10 minutes. Nobody phoned back again...

I do that with cold calls at work, trouble is they are automated, so they do call back again.

Their lead information is rubbish, I routinely get requests by name for someone who left us 15 years ago.

We've never done any business with these companies, the contact name they've got is ancient history, yet still they keep calling.
 My experience with Autotrader - Bellboy
why not put your name as thomas tank in the advert then you know if its the fat controller your dealing with?
or just put a trade advert in for a few more pund s,saves all the diddly hassle
 My experience with Autotrader - Skoda
My deceased cat still has a magazine subscription in his name.

And a mountain of junk mail, despite ticking the "do not share my details with 3rd parties" thing on said magazine's subscription form.
 My experience with Autotrader - ....
Are you sure Tiddles hadn't been at the catnip and ticked the wrong box.
 My experience with Autotrader - Tooslow
May I ask, out of curiousity, what your cat subscribed too? I can imagine interests in fishing, birdwatching, small mammals....

John
 My experience with Autotrader - Skoda
>> birdwatching

Yep spot on, UK lads mag Zoo www.zootoday.com/ ;-)
Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 5 Oct 10 at 20:01
 My experience with Autotrader - Marc
What car is it you're selling?
 My experience with Autotrader - R.P.
Marc,

Check out Cars for Sale on here !
 My experience with Autotrader - Berisford
I too put my car in/on Autotrader a couple of weeks ago, had the same problems and worse.

I rather naively used my own PAYG number and some scumbags have cleared off with all my credit by sending me a selection of 'spam' texts at £1.50 a time!

I've had the number a long time and now it's become useless, the texts have only stopped because I've no more credit on the phone. If I put more credit on (based on what I've read about the scam) the texts will start again. My trouble began the day after I put the ad on so I'm assuming they got the number, like cardata from the ad.

When I realised my credit was running down very quickly I tried the 'STOP' & 'STOP ALL' message but they just generated another £1.50 SMS each in reply to tell me the word was not recognised!

Gits.

Good news is I sold the car. (I think, well I've got a deposit.)
 My experience with Autotrader - BobbyG
How can someone send you a text and it cost you £1.50?
I understand it can cost if you reply but how can it cost with them just sending you it?
 My experience with Autotrader - Berisford
Up until 2 weeks ago I'd have been with you there BG, impossible you'd think, the scams have been going for a few years now and the network providers aren't too keen to stop 'em seeing as they get a cut from this questionable 'legal' scam!

There's plenty on the web if you look at SMS Scam and similar, here's one from 2007;

boards.thisismoney.co.uk/tim/threadnonInd.jsp?forum=98&thread=73526

I'll add that I've just looked my Google page and this is at the top, blatant what?

www.mobilebill.net/
Last edited by: Berisford on Tue 5 Oct 10 at 21:12
 My experience with Autotrader - Tooslow
Thanks B, very useful info. Wife is dithering about changing her car so I'm picking up any info I see about selling /money transfer / adverts etc.

It also seems that anyone with a mobile phone contract has a potential open wallet to these guys. At least my liability is limited to the £11 currently on my PAYG!

John
 My experience with Autotrader - Bellboy
as far as im concerned and i must add i never ever reply to text messages or anything like that as invariably if someone needs to contact me then they can jolly well phone me back

how can you get charged a fee if you dont contact them?
Latest Forum Posts