Motoring Discussion > Breakdown Experience. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Breakdown Experience. - Bromptonaut
Today was our Grandson's second birthday so there was a family gathering at our daughters house near Connah's Quay (NE Wales). D currently has no spare room so Mrs B and I were outstationed at a nearby Holiday Inn.

We had a couple of beers and a glass of bubbly and left the car at D's. Son to run us back to hotel on his way back home to to Liverpool in his petrol 2008.

On the A494 climbing up toward Ewloe car started to run pretty rough, and warning lights *3 on dash. Usual generic engine light, a spanner and one I didn't recognise. Managed to trickle it onto the hatchings of the nearest junction. Continued to sound rough and after switching off the engine the cooling fan ran on quite a bit.

Rang the AA (he has them thru Admiral) who said we were in a high risk location and they'd be there in an hour. SIL was summoned to get Mrs B and I away.

After leaving the car for a few mins I suggested trying it again and seeing which warning lights were still on. It actually seemed OK(ish) and we ran it down to the car park of the Village Hotel. t least there was food and coffee there!!

AA, on being advised of location, gave a precise ETA in roughly and hour.

Mrs B and I were just sorting ourselves into SIL's car when AA van arrives. Barely five minutes after Tom's call.

We left at that point but apparently he connected his kit to the car, found a code and suggested it was perhaps some sort of passing anomaly. Swapped plugs/coils between the cylinders as a precaution. Constant narrative about the carpness of French cars.

He then followed them as far as the Mersey Tunnel in case it went off again.

So far as we know it's been OK and they're more or less home in Liverpool.

AA apprently will email them details of the fault codes etc.

Pretty good performance by the AA all told. Tom'll have to get the car looked at by his local garage during the week.
 Breakdown Experience. - sooty123
Constant narrative about the carpness of French cars.

I suppose they would see alot of them stuck on the roadside in their line of work.

I've heard good things about the callout of the aa, not so much on the admin side. But good that you got sorted quickly.
 Breakdown Experience. - R.P.
Sounds like excellent service. My Guzzi broke down a couple of months ago, I have to say that AA was brilliant.
 Breakdown Experience. - zippy
Actually similar experience here with the AA.

Two separate incidents. On got me going and tailed me down the m40 and round to the m3 to ensure I was running ok.

Second incident, this time the Tucson wouldn't start. He got it going but it was rough and limp mode. Tailed me to the dealer and drove me home. Was surprised as he rarely has problems with Hyundais.

Excellent service and all very polite and professional.

Miss Z is with them and their fee went from £100 to £240 this year. Phone call sorted to about £120 for an absolutely all events cover. No cheap, but imho worth it!
 Breakdown Experience. - Duncan
If you buy car breakdown service as an add on to the car insurance, I have found it's a lot cheaper.
 Breakdown Experience. - zippy
It is, but you don't always have the choice of service providers and someone I know found out there was an excess that cost more than AA membership would have cost!
 Breakdown Experience. - smokie
Full AA cover (excl foreign) comes free with MG servicing for my car. The service last year was about £50 IIRC so quite a bargain even without the AA.

Last year they mumbled about an optional fluid replacement this year which would push the cost up but I can't remember how much by. I think it would go to £120ish.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 8 Oct 23 at 23:48
Latest Forum Posts