Motoring Discussion > DVLA clamped car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 6

DVLA clamped car - bathtub tom
I saw one on a nearby road, that was then towed away. I looked up the VRN and it had the hat-trick, no tax, insurance or MOT. It got me wondering how they could get it back. It would need an MOT to tax it, but if it's clamped and then impounded......................................
 DVLA clamped car - Bromptonaut
Neighbour reported and MR2 without tax (it was subject to SORN) left in the next road for several weeks without moving. It was almost certainly part of a menagerie of vehicles belonging to one of the houses with long gardens who've created rear access into the road concerned.

Parking is tight along there. Not all the time but often enough for it to be a problem whenever there are events on the sports fields etc.

DVLA clamped it. Penalty was presumably paid. Since then its been kept off the road most of the time and is taxed; at least during the summer road season.

When I worked in the Town Centre the police were around on a regular basis lifting cars that pinged ANPR. Quite often got 'entertaining' when the owner turned up.

Unless there are means of taxing it without MoT I guess it would have to be trailered to a test centre.
 DVLA clamped car - Biggles
If they insure it and book an MOT, they can drive it away to that MOT station.
 DVLA clamped car - Dave_
It would definitely need insurance to be recovered; a surety of £160 is payable to release cars with no tax. It would have to be trailered or trade-plated away from the compound, because driving an untaxed car is illegal - even to an MoT station.
 DVLA clamped car - Robin O'Reliant
>> because driving an untaxed car is illegal - even to an MoT station.
>>

Not if you have an appointment already booked at the MoT station.

Otherwise you're in a Catch 22 situation.
 DVLA clamped car - Fullchat
I cant say Ive seen a statutory exemption for no Tax to go to a pre arranged MOT. A quick search and Gov.uk says you can take a SORN'd vehicle.
Practical common sense needs to override any potential infringement but common sense isn't that common and when technology such as ANPR is involved who knows.
The reality of course is that once the MOT is in hand the vehicle can be taxed and youll be paying from the beginning of the month anyway. So the've had their cash.
 DVLA clamped car - Biggles
Conversely, if it fails, you're stuffed.

Presumably W. Yorks police know the law
www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/question/Q360
Last edited by: Biggles on Mon 9 Oct 23 at 18:22
Latest Forum Posts