Motoring Discussion > mini roundabouts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 9

mini roundabouts - henry k
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/highway-code-rule-could-see-31226671

The poll's results also showed that nearly half (48%) admit to driving over a raised roundabout and almost two-thirds (62%) to driving over a flat one. Sections 188 to 190 of the Highway Code state: "It is important to remember that all vehicles must pass round the central markings, unless they are too large to do so. You will find that when driving around mini-roundabouts there is less room to manoeuvre and less time to signal, so take extra care."

And there was me thinking that mini roundabouts are installed to allow minor roads joining traffic to have a good chance of joining the traffic.

i suspect there are not enough traffic police to deal with "offenders"
 mini roundabouts - smokie
I'd agree with your statement but I'm surprised that the %ages driving over the roundabouts aren't higher. I know I do it. I don't "straight line" them (often!!) but some I can think of would e virtually impossible to drive around rather than over, and at others, traffic permitting, I'd see it as somewhat "pedantic", for want of a better word... almost an impediment to "making progress" . I'm more cautious if there is other traffic around which might be affected by going over rather than round.

I've done my IAM btw :-)
 mini roundabouts - bathtub tom
The link also states: "a quarter of those surveyed unaware of how to signal correctly".

I'd put the figure a lot higher than that!
 mini roundabouts - CGNorwich
How I dislike that phrase “making progress”, so often an excuse for aggressive driving. Highway Code is clear on how to deal with roundabouts. Most people simply don’t read it.
 mini roundabouts - smokie
That's just your interpretation though. I do drive assertively too, which I guess you might also take as being aggressive, but in fact I am not aggressive at all when driving.

I'd sooner be known for assertive driving than mimsing :-)
 mini roundabouts - Zero
>> Highway
>> Code is clear on how to deal with roundabouts. Most people simply don’t read it.

Didnt think the highway code said "Put mini roundabouts in road space clearly not large enough for them to be used properly". Highway code also says, and I quote.

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to
.....especially vehicles .....
traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly

So there, you give way to me even if I drive over the pathetically non existent roundabout.
 mini roundabouts - Boxsterboy
Exactly. Highways ‘engineers’ have put them in where they really shouldn’t have. There are 2 mini roundabouts on our road, both of which are rarely used properly’ - i.e. in accordance with HC, and there have been collisions as a result. But having said that, roads flow better and would probably be more dangerous if the previous T-junctions were reinstated
In my roundabouts usually work well and improve traffic flow. For those who don’t like them what alternatives would you suggest?
 mini roundabouts - Zero
>> In my roundabouts usually work well and improve traffic flow. For those who don’t like
>> them what alternatives would you suggest?

Well if they work well the way they are bing used, what you moaning about?
I’m not.
Latest Forum Posts