Motoring Discussion > Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 20

Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8555574.stm

Any other ideas out there?
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Focusless
>> Any other ideas out there?

Someone at uni recommended doing lots of press-ups to burn off the alcohol.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Alanovich
I was once told that drinking milk takes it off your breath.

But, of course, the only way is not to drive when in doubt.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - oldnotbold
Drinking milk won't remove the alcohol - it's come from the lungs as oxygen is exchanged for CO2, and is a good indicator of the blood alcohol level, which is why blood samples are then taken.

You need to coat the inside of your lungs with something that prevents alcohol from passing from the blood, but that would almost certainly also stop the CO2 from being expelled, so you'd die.

If you ran hard while drinking I guess the alcohol would be metabolised faster, but a) you'd get sweaty and b) many city centres now ban you from drinking in the street.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - L'escargot
>> Someone at uni recommended doing lots of press-ups to burn off the alcohol.

While taking the test?
;-)
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Old Navy
I was watching a TV programme recently that tested many "old wives tales" about beating the breathalyser. These included eating peppermints, using mouthwash, exercise, drinking milk or orange juice, smoking, and several others I cant remember. None worked, and as the supervising policeman said, I wouldn't let you do any of that anyway.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Iffy
Might be an urban myth, but wasn't there something about insisting the blood test is taken from your big toe?

It either doesn't get drunk, or if it does, it takes a long time.

Think I read somewhere the rules were changed to take account of this.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - midlifecrisis
Defending solicitor Nigel Daniel said: "I wonder how many other red Audis have the registration number JPR."

Yet another defence solicitor coming out with tosh to try and insinuate some wrongdoing on the part of the Officers!

If your breath sample leads to a blood test, the doctor decides where it's coming from (the arm strangely enough!). He certainly won't be taking your shoes off.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - rtj70
JPR was also a doctor... He should have known better. He was also a bit of a dirty player at times I think. When he did surgery he was also a bit brutal some say.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 16:00
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - R.P.
......is also a doctor by the way, well an orthopedic surgeon to be accurate. He was the 70s Wales dream team.

Max Boyce has a good joke - Gareth Edwards asked by a TV interviewer "Do you think the 1970s Welsh line up would be up to the task of beating the current English"

After considering the question for a minute Edwards says...."Yes I think so, mind you a couple of them are getting on a bit now"

Barry John turned to drink as well (allegedly).
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Iffy
...turned to drink...

I saw some Wasps players - think it was the 18th team, not the firsts - in a pub in West London years ago.

They were drinking beer out of watering cans.

>>Barry John turned to drink as well (allegedly).
>>
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1308895/Drink-drive-ban-again-for-Barry-John.html
>>
Lets hope things have got sorted since 2001.
I quickly edited what I originally wrote hence the past tense. He is said to be a bit uncaring as a surgeon. And caused many an injury to the opposition when playing when I was a youngster.

I only go from what I have heard from people treated by him. My opinion of course.

You'd think a doctor/surgeon would know about alcohol and the metabolism wouldn't you. Sucking pennies is something I'd never heard of before.

P.S. I might be wrong but I am pretty sure he lived near us when I was a child in the seventies.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 20:07
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - R.P.
Cracking player though.
So were quite a few others for Wales in the 70s like JJ Williams and of course Gareth Edwards.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Biggles
I have it on good authority that players of brass instruments can dodge the breathalyser quite effectively. Something to do with inhaling and exhaling at the same time.

Biggles
>> I have it on good authority that players of brass instruments can dodge the breathalyser
>> quite effectively. Something to do with inhaling and exhaling at the same time.
>>
Or learn to play the didgeridoo through advanced techniques including circular breathing.
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - Pat
Yes.......... and some lorry drivers believe all the data can be wiped off their Digtal Tacho card ( credit type chip card) by putting it in a cashpoint or in a microwave for 30 seconds!

Pat
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - ....
Unfortunately the brass players recirulatory breathing method is not true. You use your mouth as a third lung filling it up whilst exhailing. The exhailed air coming from the lungs.

Pity someone hadn't told Mr Williams shoving wasps up your bottom is a very effective cure for the morning after hangover. Well takes your mind off it for awhile.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 9 Mar 10 at 12:45
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - L'escargot
I would never suck any coins. You don't know where they might have been. For example, just consider the position of your trouser pockets, let alone anyone else's!
;-)
 Sucking pennies does not fool the breathalyser - bathtub tom
SWMBO watched a 'gentleman' leave the pub lavatory pulling up his fly - obviously not having washed his hands.

"That's why you don't eat peanuts off the bar" she said.
Latest Forum Posts