Motoring Discussion > Renewing Insurance after a claim Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: hobby Replies: 11

Renewing Insurance after a claim - hobby
A little question for you all...

Earlier in the year I had an accident on a roundabout where someone came across my lane and hit the rear side panel of my Roomie... Now as with these things she admitted responsibility at the time and then changed her mind... The car, as some of you know, is a Motability car, so any claim doesn't really affect me apart from paying the excess and the annoyance of it...

But (and this is the question at last!), my insurances on my Classic car and another car are coming up for renewal... and I'm wondering what I'll have to do and the likely outcome...

Now I reckon I'll have to tell them, and the fact that I'm disputing her version of the accident and am prepared to go to court if required... but has anyone any idea how it will affect the premiums on those policies considering the the cars they insure aren't affected? (One is a Classic Policy, the other an ordinary one through Swift).
 Renewing Insurance after a claim - Crankcase
5 years ago now I had a crash in a second hand car I'd only had for a month.

Writeoff, my fault (well in law anyway), court, points, fine.

Insurance paid out exactly what we paid for the car - £13k - without question, straightaway. (Asda Insurance).

At renewal time the premium went up £50, to about £250, so not too bad.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 14:11
 Renewing Insurance after a claim - Tooslow
My guess is that you will get the same discount (protected NCB?) but on a higher premium.

John
I should have said, the Classic doesn't have protected NCB, it wasn't offered, and nor does the other which is TPFT. I just wondered if that accident in another vehicle would affect these two, even though the cars they insure are perfectly ok...
 Renewing Insurance after a claim - Bellboy
you must declare at renewal
let the insurer tell you if your risk has changed (probably yes as its not sorted)
do you not have legal protection cover and a chuckable camera to store those moments of blame on?
Yes to legal cover though its Motability who are dealing with it... no re the damage, a camer, unless it was pointing backwards and to one side and a video would not have been much use in this case!
 Renewing Insurance after a claim - bathtub tom
Every year you have to answer:

Have you had an accident or claim in the previous twelve months.
I know I'll have to declare it, I just wondered if anyone else who had more than one car and seperate policies had any experience of how the policies would be affected?
 Renewing Insurance after a claim - AshT
I've got two cars, both insured by the same company, and had an accident in one earlier in the year. My renewal for this car came through a few weeks; the premium had increased albeit not by the large amount I'd expected.

Going through comparisom websites - putting full information about the accident - yielded several quotes cheaper than my renewal, one of the cheaper quotes being from my insurer. A quick call to their (UK based) call centre got me the lower price for renewal. I could have saved a bit more going elsewhere, but the service from my current insurer (Kwik Fit) is well worth paying an extra £25 a year.

The other car is up for renewal just after Christmas, I'm assuming it will cost around the same to insure.
Thanks Ash... Was the accident your fault, 50/50 or the other person's fault?
 Renewing Insurance after a claim - AshT
It was decided as being my fault unfortunately Hobby - I broke the golden rule of never pulling out when some stops and waves you forward. My insurers were very good though, had the claim processed very quickly with the minimum of fuss.

Out of interest I fed the details of the other car to the meerkat tonight - came out with a very similar figure to the premium for the other car.
Cheers for that... hopefully things might not be too bad then...
Latest Forum Posts