Motoring Discussion > Lighting use - a snapshot Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 23

Lighting use - a snapshot - WillDeBeest
Prompted by the discussion in Motorway Spray thread, I conducted a little survey this morning. It was just after 0800, so not fully light, and it was raining. The survey route was five miles of a single carriageway A-road in Berkshire.
As it happened, I passed exactly 100 vehicles, including a couple of HGVs and one motorcycle. Of these, 77 were showing headlights (some may also have been showing front foglights but there was only so much I could count and still concentrate on my own driving); 19 were showing only parking lights, and four showed no lights at all. I gave those showing only one headlight the benefit of the doubt and counted them among the 77.

23 percent inadequately illuminated seems awfully high to me, but how does it fit in with other contributors' experiences of non-motorway conditions?
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Bromptonaut
Wasn't counting this morning but at similar times on an unclassified county road in northants I'd say the proportions were about the same.

One was a BMW with all four headlights having the 'angel eyes' surround showing but no proper bulb lit. How does that work?
 Lighting use - a snapshot - R.P.
One was a BMW with all four headlights having the 'angel eyes' surround showing but no proper bulb lit. How does that work?

Fiddling around with the menus on the X1, seems the DRLs are switchable, in the on mode the "side lights" + "angel halos" are on permanently. I leave mine off.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 20:18
 Lighting use - a snapshot - idle_chatterer
On my 2009 330d the four 'angel eyes' were merely side/parking lights, activating the DRLs meant permanently illuminating the dipped headlamps.

Mine had very effective auto-headlamps (which like auto-dimming mirrors I once considered a gimmick but found very useful), this meant I never drove with angel/side-lights. I think auto-headlamps are optional on 4 cylinder derivatives so I guess drivers might opt to use only side-lights ?

Models with optional Xenons do get proper DRLs - effectively lower wattage halogen bulbs in the central driving lamps, why BMW couldn't do something like VW do on the Golf VI and fit this arrangement to all I don't know, model differentiation I guess.

IIRC, latest BMW models have LED Angel Eyes which are much brighter and provide the DRL functionality on all derivatives ?
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 03:18
 Lighting use - a snapshot - FotheringtonTomas
So, is this true?

This morning you should have had your headlamps on until 06:47, then sidelights until 07:17. Tonight, sidelights go on at 18:34, and headlamps at 19:04. If visibility is seriously reduced in "headlamp" time, you should have them on. If visibility is seriously reduced in "sidelight time", you should have them on.

That not to say that putting your headlamps on at some other times isn't a good idea - just that it's not legally necessary.

Hm?
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Stuartli
>>..had your headlamps on until 06:47, then sidelights until 07:17. Tonight, sidelights go on at 18:34... >>

Apart from the pedantic use of exact times (it could be cloudy and therefore darker for longer), you are legally able to use sidelights only on 30mph speed limit roads where the street lights are no further than 185 yards apart...:-)

To be honest anyone who just relies on sidelights, especially when in a line of vehicles displaying dipped headlights, runs a serious risk of not being seen by oncoming motorists, especially a driver coming in the opposite direction seeking to turn right.
 Lighting use - a snapshot - WillDeBeest
I think FT is right in terms of the law - or at least of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations. 1989 - which specifies the use of 'front and rear position lamps' between sunset and sunrise, and headlamps only in the shorter 'hours of darkness'. But there was rain, as well as some spray, which produced 'seriously reduced visibility, and much the situation Stuart describes.

In any such case, the Highway Code recommends dipped headlights, and it's a lot easier to read than the Regulations - although perhaps not easy enough for some!
 Lighting use - a snapshot - a900ss
My view on this is probably going to be quite contraversial.

In Wales, they will drive with no lights or at best side lights when it's raining.

I also find that HGV's are very poor at putting headlights on in the rain although they will put side lights on, therefore acknowledging that they are aware of the poor visability.

When I drove lorries, I could quite often lose a car in a mirror that had rain all over it if they didn't have headlights on so I would expect better of them.

I did say contraversial but they are my opinions.
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Pat
Things have moved on a little bit now a900ss, and all lorry mirrors are heated so should be completely clear.
Having said that it is still almost impossible to see a car on sidelights approaching through the spray in heavy rain and standing water.

I can't disagree with you about lorries using sidelights but I certainly don't think it's not common with cars as well.

I do think it happens more on the motorway than on single carriageways...something about that central reservation that gives a feeling of nothing needs to see the front of the vehicle, perhaps?

I also think this problem will worsen when we all have to use daytime running lights.
So many people will think that as they have lights on they don't need to use dipped headlights in bad weather.

Pat
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Cpt. Flack
You would expect the bigger the vehicle the bigger the rear lights.
Have a look at any "new" National Express coach from the rear. The lights are more apt for a bicycle not a great big coach. And in reduced visibility, they are virtually unseen. How on earth do they get away with it. They would be totally useless in fog or heavy spray.
I predict over the next few months a rear ended NE coach by something as big (LGV or coach) and the associated deaths and injuries that go with it. Because the rear lighting is shockingly poor. IMO.
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Old Navy
>> My view on this is probably going to be quite controversial.
>>
>> In Wales, they will drive with no lights or at best side lights when it's
>> raining.

Not contraversial at all, If you don't expect to be seen you can't complain if someone doesn't see you and hits you or runs you off the road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 19:06
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Stuartli
>> In Wales, they will drive with no lights or at best side lights when it's raining. >>

Probably thinking they are saving the battery then as their lights must be on all the time...:-)
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Bellboy
its so they dont wake all the sheep up
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Suppose
>> Not contraversial at all, If you don't expect to be seen you can't complain if

Old navy, wouldst thou in thine own words teach me what "contraversial" meaneth?

>> >> Not contraversial at all, If you don't expect to be seen you can't complain
>> if
>>
>> Old navy, wouldst thou in thine own words teach me what "contraversial" meaneth?
>>
>>
Sorry speelchecker failure, I blame these new fangled computer contraptions.
 Lighting use - a snapshot - idle_chatterer
Many US states require the use of dipped headlamps whenever it rains (basically if you need your windscreen wipers on then you should illuminate your headlamps). I noticed DRLs (basically like the old UK Dim-dip headlamps) fitted in North Carolina too.

Here in Hong Kong, drivers seem to prefer the "Christmas Tree" look, most have Xenon headlamps or upgraded bulbs and showing front fogs is de rigueur, many have upgraded with xenon-like bulbs in too and certainly dazzle - very pretty (but pointless), but cars are about posing here - not transport ;-)
 Lighting use - a snapshot - brettmick
On a slight tangent, the new A3 rear indicator light is so slim as to be almost impossible to see in bright sunlight or heavy rain....
>> On a slight tangent, the new A3 rear indicator light is so slim as to
>> be almost impossible to see in bright sunlight or heavy rain....
>>

You seem to get the extremes of design these days, as you say, almost invisible, or led's that sear your eyeballs.
 Lighting use - a snapshot - PhilW
Odd, isn't it, that DRLs are all the rage for some drivers yet others only use "sidelights" (aren't they really "parking lights"???) or no lights when good lighting is required to be seen?
I usually set off for work about 5 am and am amazed how many drivers are inadequately lit. It has been most noticeable in last week or so when the problem has been compounded by rain/spray/fog both morning and evening.
Problem was solved by dim/dip but some odd regulation got rid off that - still don't see why (I also neeed enlightening!!)
Wonder also whether permanently lit dash displays are part of problem - people see a bright speedo and assume their lights are on?
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Iffy
Found a genuine use for the front spots on the CC3 - amazing, but true.

At about 7am this morning in leafy North Yorkshire, a combination of rain and fog made the spots the most efficient form of forward illumination.

These conditions only lasted for a few hundred metres, but for that short distance, spots were tops.

Lighting use - a snapshot - FotheringtonTomas
>> Found a genuine use for the front spots on the CC3

What are "front spots"?

What is a "CC3"?
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Harleyman

>> Wonder also whether permanently lit dash displays are part of problem - people see a
>> bright speedo and assume their lights are on?
>>

I'd tend to agree with that. First car I owned with that set-up was a Citroen BX, and although I do tend to put my lights on before many others, that car caught me out till I got used to it. As I've said somewhere before, in America they are called parking lamps and AFAIK it is an offence in many states to drive with just the parking lamps on.

My normal mantra in wet weather is "Wipers on = headlights on" unless it's a small shower on a sunny day. I rarely bother with side lights anyway, unless I'm parked up unloading somewhere.

Lighting use - a snapshot - Cliff Pope
On my run into work (7am to 8 am) I notice that whether someone displays proper lighting or not depends entirely on when they started their journey.
Those who began in the dark leave their lights on the longest. Of those who began in twilight, 50% don't have lights on from the start.
Those who began in a well lit built up area are least likely to put lights on even when they reach open countryside.

The most noticeable effect is stubornness. No one ever alters their lighting as a result of noticing what others are doing. An unlit car facing a long stream of cars with lights will never put lights on. Conversely, and surprisingly, I very very rarely ever see a driver decide that it is now light enough to turn his lights off. Once on, on for the duration.
 Lighting use - a snapshot - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
Nowadays,I start off in dull daylight with my 21W DRL lights. Not sure how dark it would need to be to put on headlights, I guess during the sunset to sunrise period or if the weather conditions make it so.

I saw a BMW 3 series the other day with four annular headlights. They dazzled me as they were really bright. Non standard bulbs perhaps.
Latest Forum Posts