Motoring Discussion > New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 9

New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - smokie
I'd not seen this. Doesn't include UK (at the moment)

uk.motor1.com/news/706444/new-car-black-box-mandatory-europe-2024/

Apart from yet more cost on a new car I don't really see a downside.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - tyrednemotional
...EDRs are already fitted to a number of cars. My XC40 is so equipped.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - neiltoo
I think that these have been installed for several years, certainly the emergency call system is in UK BMWs.
UK will Have to follow to sell cars into the EU, and EU manufacturers won't take them out to sell here.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - smokie
Ah OK I hadn't realised that
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - VxFan
What I think car manufacturers should do is factory fit dash cams to new cars.

And whatever governing body to provide an incentive for all drivers to have them fitted to existing cars. A discount scheme, or lower insurance premiums for example.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - Falkirk Bairn
My car was in last week for it's 1st service

The car has been absolutely fine except it has the habit of switching on dipped headlights even in the middle of the day.
I looked on-line & the US there is an option to reduce the sensitivity of the auto lights.

The EU has given the settings and you cannot adjust the settings in Europe.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - bathtub tom
>> And whatever governing body to provide an incentive for all drivers to have them fitted
>> to existing cars. A discount scheme, or lower insurance premiums for example.

That has been a question on insurance applications for a while - have you a dashcam fitted? Don't know if it affects premiums.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - Zero
>> I think that these have been installed for several years, certainly the emergency call system
>> is in UK BMWs.

Mine isnt working at the moment, it needs a new battery.
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - Bobby
Is yours similar to mine that you need to remove half the headlining to replace the battery?
 New EU cars to be fitted with black box from July - Zero
>> Is yours similar to mine that you need to remove half the headlining to replace
>> the battery?

Yup, its up in the rear roof lining near the shark fin. I'll get it done at its next service in July
Latest Forum Posts