Motoring Discussion > Another electric car that can’t stop! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 20

Another electric car that can’t stop! - Bobby
Looks like a Jag this time?

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/electric-vehicle-unable-brake-busy-32289356
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Lygonos
Zero damage visible - assume it was doing 1 mph.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - VxFan
>> Looks like a Jag this time?

Correct, a Jaguar I-Pace

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68500233
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Fursty Ferret
Another attention seeker causing all eight lanes of the M62 to be closed. Interesting to note that they always seem to go very quiet once they've had their time in the news but there isn't a massive recall of the car.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - CGNorwich
An electrical fault woul not stop the brakes working as in all cars they are hydraulic with dual circuits. Brake failure is highly unusual, almost unknown. Almost certainly driver panicking . Usual press tosh.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Terry
The news includes the somewhat emotive word "RAM".

Far from a scene of a wreckage strewn motorway with cars seriously trashed by the "ramming", it looks like little or no damage was done.

Reporting seems grossly exaggerated - the Daily Record is unlikely top be a natural choice for balanced reporting.

It is also evidently the case that brakes on ALL cars occasionally fail - that motive power is EV or ICE seems completely irrelevant.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - VxFan
>> An electrical fault would not stop the brakes working as in all cars they are
>> hydraulic with dual circuits.

Some cars now have brake by wire though, and whilst still using a hydraulic system, a position sensor monitors how far the driver has pushed the brake pedal, which is used to determine the amount of braking force requested. A control unit then determines how much hydraulic pressure is required, and an electric pump is used to actually generate that pressure and stop the car.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 8 Mar 24 at 11:20
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Manatee

>> Some cars now have brake by wire though, and whilst still using a hydraulic system,
>> a position sensor monitors how far the driver has pushed the brake pedal, which is
>> used to determine the amount of braking force requested. A control unit then determines how
>> much hydraulic pressure is required, and an electric pump is used to actually generate that
>> pressure and stop the car.

Good point, if that's the case. Do the construction and use regs actually allow that? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the vehicle must be capable of being stopped mechanically if the brakes are not fail-safe, like wagon brakes.

My Scorpio once lost the serpentine belt when an idler broke. It had a vacuum pump for the brakes. It did stop, albeit with very significant pedal pressure.

The Jag thing sounds like operator error to me. Even with total brake failure I think I'd either have had it stopped or hit something long before police cars could get there and box me in.

Back in c. 1982 I was driving an XJ6 4.2 auto when the throttle stuck open, as I launched at a roundabout. Fortunately the ignition key was in the same position as on my regular Golf, and my hand went straight to it and turned it off. Purely mechanical, I twanged the pedal with my toe end and it released after I'd got it stopped. Didn't go near full travel after that.

Another electric car that can’t stop! - Bobby
Two things at play here.
Something making the car go
Something preventing it from being stopped.

I think it’s fair to say that there must have been a braking fault of some kind cos natural driver reaction would always be to use brakes.

But why was the car going? Got to be stuck cruise control surely? Or panic as didn’t know cruise control was on? Unless he has been really unlucky and had a dodgy throttle AND brake?
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - smokie
Normal cruise control doesn't operate below about 20mpo on many cars. Adaptive cruise control would have stopped it before hitting the police car. Unless that circuit had failed too...

The car probably has collision prevention technology but likely turned off. In most environments I quite like the technologies but many "traditional" drivers don't.

Probably he'd taken his shoes off and one was wedged under the brake pedal :-)
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Dog
>>The car probably has collision prevention technology but likely turned off. In most environments I quite like the technologies but many "traditional" drivers don't.

I'm a 'traditional' driver, who was driving along the A30 on Wednesday when all of a sudden BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! my collision avoidance thingamajig kicked in 'cos I failed to notice the dark blue car in front of me was slowing down!!
Drift.

It's surprising how many people hit the wrong pedals.

Pal of mine has size 13 feet and wears large boots. This week His Landy was in the garage (again) and he hired a Corsa.

While being tailgated on a narrow local road, he decided to accelerate slightly to gain a bit of space. He planted the throttle, having braked for a bend, and his size 13 hit the brake at the same time. He collected his tailgater up the rear.

Tailgater said it wasn't her fault because she hadn't been breaking the 30 limit and her car had AEB so it should have stopped! It probably did mitigate because there wasn't much damage.

I had been wondering whether AEB had led to people tailgating more. Seems as if it might have.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68514718
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - tyrednemotional
...a bit more on this.....

tinyurl.com/notallitseemed

A bit more yet to be revealed, I think.
Can't say I'm surprised. Sounded as if the driver was either a complete donkey, doing it on purpose, or just really really really unlucky!
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Fursty Ferret
I’m not going to say “I told you so”, but I’m thinking it quite loudly.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - James Loveless
"I think it's fair to say that there must have been a braking fault of some kind..."

It seems not.

"A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance after claiming the brakes had failed on his Jaguar I-Pace." (www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/electric-vehicle-unable-brake-busy-32289356)

A human fault, then. But not a "failure" - it seems it was a deliberate act.

And it's not fodder for the anti-EV brigade any more.
Last edited by: James Loveless on Sat 16 Mar 24 at 16:40
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - Bromptonaut
Linky no worky - suspect bracket at end is issue.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - James Loveless
I'm sure you're right. I see the bracket has been made part of the link - carelessness on my part.
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - CGNorwich

>> And it's not fodder for the anti-EV brigade any more.
>>

You would think so but if you look at the comments on this video you will see that the police statement has only convinced the anti ev brigade that is all a huge conspiracy.

youtube.com/watch?v=RbnW4TCY9aE&si=Nqwu5psElno9wQ3I
 Another electric car that can’t stop! - sooty123
Lots of references to the PO scandal, I suspect more people will be suspicious of companies and internal investigations of the back of that. Experts in trials may not carry the same weight they used to.
Latest Forum Posts