Motoring Discussion > Documents in car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Documents in car - legacylad
Pub chat recently.
We all know insurance details have to be exchanged after a prang, but how many carry a copy of the MOT certificate and V5C ?
Presumably you can have a copy of your Driving Licence on your phone in some app or other, but a number of friends don’t carry any paperwork in their vehicle. It can always be produced later if so requested.
I keep my DL in my wallet, and a copy of my insurance certificate....that’s all.
 Documents in car - smokie
No physical docs carried.

I don't carry my DL-containing wallet unless I need it (now rarely).

I tend to scan most "official" documents these days (and dispose the originals in most cases). I can reach the scans (on one of my NASs) fairly easily.

I do backup all this stuff daily within the system, weekly onto another NAS, monthly onto a removeable USB drive and "regularly" onto a USB drive kept offsite.

Now it's been mentioned I will download the folder onto my phone and put it on Google drive,
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 13 Mar 24 at 18:46
 Documents in car - Bromptonaut
Drivers License is in my wallet on my person; useful if I need I'D. Like recovering the hire car that was towed from outside our hotel this morning

I understand that insurance certificates are 'not worth the paper they're written on' for police etc. They can see stuff on MIB etc. Last time I was subject to a potential claim I told the third party who I was insured with and reported it to them asap.

Insurance cert and V5 for Mrs B.s. car live in it as we've needed the carte the carte grise in France for the exact model etc if needing spares repair. Assume we might need proof of insurance too.
'
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 13 Mar 24 at 19:25
 Documents in car - tyrednemotional

>> Insurance cert and V5 for Mrs B.s. car live in it as we've needed the
>> carte the carte grise in France....

...the V5ç should definitely be with you abroad (a legal requirement in most countries). I think carrying the insurance documents is a no-brainer.

I've only needed it once, having been waved in at a speed trap in the Black Forest. (No, I wasn't speeding, and could see the Polizei for miles kilometres). All documents requested by the very pleasant "bull", and he had to wait as they were in the rather inaccessible safe.

Quick perusal and all was OK. Then the reason for the pull became apparent. He had a rather similar camper, and asked if he could be shown around; No problem.

He was most helpful as, when informed of our destination he warned us of a major road en-route closure, and gave us a more user-friendly diversion than the official one, and also warned us of the Weinfest at our intended (Mosel) target, and suggested we wouldn't get a pitch anywhere near so we might wish to rethink.

He was correct on both counts.
 Documents in car - sooty123
I do backup all this stuff daily within the system, weekly onto another NAS, monthly
>> onto a removeable USB drive and "regularly" onto a USB drive kept offsite.
>>
>> Now it's been mentioned I will download the folder onto my phone and put it
>> on Google drive,
>>

Do you have a dead drop as well ;-)
 Documents in car - Fullchat
The Road Traffic Act 72 states that DL. Ins, and MOT are produced on demand at the roadside by PC in Uniform. Failing to do so is an offence. However if the documents are produced at a nominated PS within 7 days, or within a reasonable time or before proceedings are commenced. (Most people only refer to the 7 days), then there will be No Further Action in respect of the offences.
Strangely enough the Reg Doc didn't fall under the requirements of the RTA but the 2005 Serious and Organised Crime Act brought the production of the Reg Doc in line with the other documents.
This is old legislation and the Police can access all the databases at the roadside and can generally validate all the necessary documentation but the original legislation is still valid.
It actually has a use in that if someone is coming the 'big I am' (Sovereign Citizen and Youtube filming warrior type) at the roadside, the failure to produce and subsequent refusal to provide sufficient detail for service of a summons can give the Police a power of arrest.
So ultimately to have the documents in person is no longer strictly necessary. Electronic copies of the Insurance Certificate are deemed acceptable.
 Documents in car - zippy
www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/question/Q648
 Documents in car - Falkirk Bairn
I carry the driving licence -an easy ID if needed
Photos of V5c & Insurance on my phone

V5c & Insurance never been needed but handy should I be stopped by police - there is a first time for everything even after driving 60+ years..
 Documents in car - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> V5c & Insurance never been needed but handy should I be stopped by police -
>> there is a first time for everything even after driving 60+ years..
>>

You've never been stopped?

Blimey, in my twenties and driving a Capri I lost count of the routine pulls I got.
 Documents in car - Bobby
Only have my driving licence if I happen to have my wallet with me, which is rare. I just use my Apple Watch for payments anywhere.

As far as insurance is concerned, I would need to open my email and go to my car folder and get info from there. As I type this I genuinely don’t know who I am insured with.
 Documents in car - Runfer D'Hills
>>Blimey, in my twenties and driving a Capri I lost count of the routine pulls I got.

Yeah, the girls used to love a Capri…
;-)))
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 13 Mar 24 at 22:00
 Documents in car - tyrednemotional
...only enough for a routine pull; nothing special... ;-)
Never been stopped by police.
My wife is the same.

We both have clean licences - 61 years for me (2 wheels & 4 wheels) and my wife 55 years (car only)
 Documents in car - Zero

>> You've never been stopped?
>>
>> Blimey, in my twenties and driving a Capri I lost count of the routine pulls
>> I got.

Exactly the same. 19 years of age In a capri, was a guaranteed nightly pull, sometimes by the same copper.

I got stopped by the Nevada State Troopers once in 1975, driving a hired Buick LeSabre in the middle of nowhere (outside Silver Springs I seem to recall). Anyway when demanded to "Show me your drivers license" I gave him the old UK green one, the long strip of paper we used to have. He held one corner of it dismissively in thumb and forefinger while the rest dangled waving in the breeze. "You call this a drivers license?" he drawled.

Anyway, carry my drivers license on me, nothing else, the ole bill have already checked registered keeper and insurance before they pull you over. In an accident you dont need to exchange insurance details, just contact details.
 Documents in car - Oldgit
>> You've never been stopped?
>>
>> Blimey, in my twenties and driving a Capri I lost count of the routine pulls
>> I got.
>>

I also, have only been stopped once by the bill in the early 60's for having what they thought was illegal number plate that was made from 'Fablon' numbers on a plastic backing. A lot of we racy folks had plastic film markings adorning our cherished motors with go faster stripes as we called it.
Last edited by: Oldgit on Thu 14 Mar 24 at 09:51
 Documents in car - Oldgit
Since I started driving in 1956, I've carried by driving licence and Certificate of Motor Insurance with me all the time, in my wallet. The now A4 size Certificates can be folded about four time to form a nice small packet which can hold the Driving Licence in the opening of the folds of the Certificate.
I have also, to most people's surprise carried both set of car keys on my person to save the embarrassment of the rare event of losing one when out. Obsessive behaviour some would say.
Other mates of mine, now ever dwindling down due to age, don't carry anything like that on their person.

I have never left any car keys on hooks near entrance doors of my house so that light fingered gits can retrieve them and drive away my car/s.
 Documents in car - VxFan
Only carry my driving licence, mainly for if ID is ever required.

ownvehicle.askmid.com/ for checking whether you're insured or not. And if anyone else is if you lie about the Data Protection Declaration.

There are various sites that will check tax and MOT status.
eg
www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

And there are also many App's and websites available that will do both at the same time, although I have found there can be a delay if recently renewed.
eg
www.mycarcheck.com/ (IIRC you need to have a registered account (free).
www.carcheck.co.uk/ (no need to register) and the App has a ANPR search option.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 14 Mar 24 at 11:00
>>Keys & the embarrassment of the rare event of losing one when out.

I have never lost the car keys BUT, 30+ years ago, I did manage to slam the boot shut. The doors had been locked and the keys were in the boot.

Walked about 300 yards to the local Dundee Vauxhall garage. Told them the problem & they gave me a ring with probably 150+ keys on it. No idea of what key would fit but around key #20 the boot opened.

Nowadays with coded locks I would imagine it would be a lot more difficult.

Driving in 1956? I was 10 and a new bike was my ambition - took me 3 years to save up the £30.
 Documents in car - Bromptonaut
Lost Mrs B.s. key to my Fabia in January.

Only because of inertia and flu we'd not got around to replacing them by last week when they turned up in one of the collection of bags for life in the boot.
 Documents in car - bathtub tom
>>Keys & the embarrassment of the rare event of losing one when out.

Two of our friends have lost the only car key on them when they've been hundreds of miles from home and the spare key's been at home. One spent a fortune getting it couriered, the other just had to wait a few days for the post. Luckily, both had someone who could access their house.

SWMBO and I always carry a house and car key each when we're out.
Latest Forum Posts