Motoring Discussion > You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 15

You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - zippy
Just had the first MOT on the Tucson and it had it's 3rd service at the same time.

When I collected the car they suggested I might consider changing my offside front tyre as it only has 4mm of tread left (the nearside was replaced a few months back as it had a non-reparable puncture).

When I delivered the car to the garage a huge truck was delivering tyres.

I guess they had a few to sell.

You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Bill Payer
I had a VW dealer tell me that, at 4.5mm, the tyres were close to the European legal limit of 3mm (there's no such thing) and should be changed.

Don't use that dealer any more.

You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Zero
Change mine at 2.5mm, but I also have good branded tyres
>> Change mine at 2.5mm, but I also have good branded tyres
>>

Yes 2.5mm for me, plus a few weeks dithering about where to get them for the best price.

When I got the puncture I was near an Formula One chain and just pulled in to see if they could fix it. I was doubtful that they could because there was a screw right on the edge of the tread and side wall.

The manager was taken aback when I said I wanted the same on the front that was already there (Continental) and said it would cost.

I was surprised when he came back a short time later with a good price (and I checked at home he - more than matched the cheapest of the main fitters).
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Bromptonaut
>> When I got the puncture I was near an Formula One chain and just pulled
>> in to see if they could fix it. I was doubtful that they could because
>> there was a screw right on the edge of the tread and side wall.

Formula One are my go to. Nearest to home and not usually beaten on price.
>> Formula One are my go to. Nearest to home and not usually beaten on price.
>>

Same for SWMBO's car which is now out of warranty. They do the same service for less than 1/2 the price of the main dealer. Their premises are generously described as "tatty". Their service and attitude are polar opposite.

You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Kevin
What tyres have you put on the 5 Z? Are they the 19" wheels?
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Zero
>> What tyres have you put on the 5 Z? Are they the 19" wheels?

Yes 19's - GoodYear Efficient Grips. For runflats they are very good, better ride, less noise, reassuring in the wet, wearing well too. Well impressed.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Mar 24 at 13:30
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Dog
>>Just had the first MOT on the Tucson and it had it's 3rd service at the same time.

Same 'ere with my wife's Vitara (18,000 m) Pain dealer wanted to replace fronts on 3mm.

Indie MOT gaff didn't mention 'em at all at all.

I'll hang on 'tll late Autumn and might change all 4 as I don't like the Conti Eco's on there.
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Bromptonaut
I change them when they're close to but not quite on the TWI thingies.

The 'lingo wares them oddly, rears before fronts and outside edges first. Questioned whether there was an alignment/tracking issue but was told they all do that!!
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Falkirk Bairn
Many new tyres have 7 mm tread today.
Replacing at 4 or 3mm seems OTP far many of us who drive "conservatively"

I know of people who get 8 to 10,000 out of their tyres
I get anywhere between 25-35,000 out of a set of 4, rotating them around 15+ K plus depending on the car/tyre combination
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Oldgit

>> I know of people who get 8 to 10,000 out of their tyres
>> I get anywhere between 25-35,000 out of a set of 4, rotating them around 15+
>> K plus depending on the car/tyre combination

I got 18k out of my Michelin Primacy up and until two years ago and only changed them then because at the MOT they said there was some cracking on the inside walls obviously invisible to me. It was only an advisory and I wonder whether an MOT somewhere else would have come to the same conclusion?
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Boxsterboy
>> I change them when they're close to but not quite on the TWI thingies.
>>

Same. That's what they're there for, isn't it?
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Manatee
The European thing is a fairly widely accepted recommendation that winter tyres should have a minimum of 3mm.

I tend to go with 3mm, they've usually done 25,000 by then anyway. The MX-5 tyres were changed last year at nearer 4mm because one had a non-repairable puncture. I saved the least worn of the others in case it happens again.
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Biggles
In Austria winter tyres need a minimum of 4 mm, otherwise they don't count as winter tyres any more.
 You might consider replacing your tyre @4mm - Mapmaker
I’ve got Crossclimates on. Car came with them. I’ve just had to replace two of them owing to a nail. (Can’t replace one at once.)

Must say they’re *amazing*. Ice, snow, mud. Wouldn’t ever have anything else now.

And if I have to swap them at 4mm, it’s not the most expensive part of my motoring.

Quikfit needless to say wanted to replace the other two owing to ‘cracks’; as I’d just had an MOT I which hadn’t mentioned them I said no thanks.
Latest Forum Posts