Motoring Discussion > Halfords profits up (and down) Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 8

Halfords profits up (and down) - Falkirk Bairn
Halfords posted increase profits when incorporating results from the Nationwide Service Centres although 6% down on their retail - may be increased Web competition of SatNavs Hi-fi etc affecting them.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11490849
Do you use halfords? I have not crossed their door in 12-18 months.
 Halfords profits up (and down) - Old Navy
>> Do you use halfords? I have not crossed their door in 12-18 months.
>>
I must admit that I once bought a packet of trim clips from them, and some synthetic oil when it was on a bogof offer. I am sure they still made a good profit from my purchases.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 11:53
 Halfords profits up (and down) - DP
Our local Halfords is actually very good. I recall when we bought our first child seat, the young lady was patient, helpful and very knowledgeable. Happy to test fit several models into the car, and advise which was best (and it wasn't the most expensive, either). Similar positive experience with the Bikehut staff upstairs when buying cycle helmets for the kids.
I also like the Halfords Professional tool range very much. I have various bits, including a ratchet handle that's now 10 years old, has been abused way beyond its design parameters, dropped, run over, and heaven knows what else, and it still works perfectly. The rebuild kit I bought for it is still sitting in the box.
I generally find they sell a good range of stuff, but outside of the special offers, can be on the expensive side. I was able to source the same Yuasa motorcycle battery they were asking £70 for, for less than £40 online. I'd have swallowed a tenner or so difference for the convenience, but paying nearly twice as much would have been crazy.
I'm a pretty happy Halfords customer, overall.
 Halfords profits up (and down) - Fenlander
I only ever use them now for a specific item where they're doing a good reserve online web offer. Then I walk in straight past all the other gear with hardly a glance at the often overpriced items. I assume the service will be poor to middling and usually they meet those expectations.

Compare that to, for example, Tesco last night where I went in to spend £2 but came out with a £26 bag of attractive and worthwhile value offers.
 Halfords profits up (and down) - Skoda
I find them to be excellent value for money when they have offers on, and the selection is very good.

I'd say 80% of my tools are Halfords own, they're keenly priced, but with the snapon type lifetime guarantee. I know from other folks (i've managed not to break anything yet) that the guarantee is worthwhile.

Car care products, in the recent buy on get one free (not the longer running buy 2 get 3rd free) they were unbeatable for certain things (big jugs of Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo).
 Halfords profits up (and down) - RattleandSmoke
Last thing I bought from Halfords was a bush bike. It was a Raleigh for £160 (very basic spec) the bottom bracket failed after 100 miles. Halfords replaced it with a better spec bottom bracket under warranty and its been fine since then.

Its not the best bike but I knew that when I bought it, I rarely use it so didn't want to spend money on something I wouldn't use it that often. That said I might go for ride on it in a bit.

The problem with Halfords is it has the same retail model as a lot of the big stores, sell the big ticket items cheap and make all the money on the accessories.
 Halfords profits up (and down) - VxFan
>> Last thing I bought from Halfords was a bush bike.

Is that for your pending trip to Australia ;o)
 Halfords profits up (and down) - sherlock47
>> Last thing I bought from Halfords was a bush bike.

Is that for your pending trip to Australia ;o)

and I thought that it was a coded reference to a new antipodean girlfriend. (Or have I missed something?)

:)
 Halfords profits up (and down) - Bellboy
my window cleaners profits go up and down
he keeps his wallet in his back pocket
Latest Forum Posts