Motoring Discussion > Revelation time Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Revelation time - Zero
Currently in Suffolk/ Norfolk border for the w/e

Towed the BC up, got 23.4 mpg! Usually it's 18.5 to 20.

Before I left I pumped the tyres up to max, 44 psi rears

Usually at 40 for towing
 Revelation time - Bromptonaut
>> Currently in Suffolk/ Norfolk border for the w/e
>>
>> Towed the BC up, got 23.4 mpg! Usually it's 18.5 to 20.

We find mileage towing the van varies a lot. Usually mid to upper twenties but can be near 40. Factor, I'm sure, is headwind v following wind.
 Revelation time - tyrednemotional

>> We find mileage towing the van varies a lot. Usually mid to upper twenties but
>> can be near 40. Factor, I'm sure, is headwind v following wind.
>>

It can certainly have a significant effect.

Going North in the motorhome last week with what was largely a tailwind I averaged just over 39mpg. It's the best I've seen on a trip, and rather surprising for a 3.5t brick.

The average was down to 34,7mpg after the return trip without the same wind assistance.

Over the last 3500 miles it's averaged 33.4 mpg in all conditions.
 Revelation time - Kevin
No difference felt in how it handled?
 Revelation time - Zero
>> No difference felt in how it handled?

Not really no. The beemer is a bit weird when towing, it knows it is, cos it tells me so I'm a warning, but setting off it's all nervous, traction control coming on, stability dabbing a rear disk side to side, but then after about 8 miles it goes"oh this is easy:peasy" think it goes into some kind of learning mode
 Revelation time - Kevin
Stop being such a wuss! Switch the DSC off.
 Revelation time - Zero
>> Stop being such a wuss! Switch the DSC off.

Cruise control switches DSC on, its a co-req. (and no there is no PTF)
>> No difference felt in how it handled?

Our caravan is pretty stable on the Berlingo even in high winds - crosswind over Thelwall for example. The only time I'm aware of it trying to jump around is passing LGVs if I'm doing more than 55/60.

Obvs 60 is the limit towing in the UK but in France as the gross combined, i.e. plated, weight of the outfit is under 3.5 tonnes the Autoroute limit 130/110, same as everybody else. I've gone as far as 110 at which point my nerve gave out due to the wiggle around LGVs. The fuel consumption also falls off a cliff at high speed.
 Revelation time - legacylad
Funny you should mention France…I’m just sat considering several route options prior to visiting friends who live just south of Foix. It’s been a few years since I’ve driven through France… normally to get to a ski resort, not in September as I’m planning.
 Revelation time - Mr Moo
I recall my folks towing our Lynton Arrow caravan with our family 1979 Opel Ascona 2.0S, which I think produced around 85hp. One return journey home with a strong headwind, it wouldn’t pull in 4th (top) gear, so the motorway / dual carriageway leg of the journey was completed foot to the floor in 3rd gear, which resulted in 16 mpg! At least fuel was relatively cheap ‘back in the day’!
 Revelation time - legacylad
es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Opel_Ascona_400_a.JPG

This would have towed it better ?
Racking my brains to remember where I last saw one in action on a rally stage.
 Revelation time - Kevin
>This would have towed it better ?

With a hair-trigger clutch and a powerband that doesn't start until 6000rpm?

>Racking my brains to remember where I last saw one in action on a rally stage.

Caravan Club Welsh National?
 Revelation time - Zero
22.1 on the return, same route. to complete the picture, so wind not a major influencer. 44psi on the rears seems absurdly high but ride is not overly compromised, so I may well stick with it
The 'lingo has a massive difference between rear psi for normal running and if heavily laden.
Latest Forum Posts