Motoring Discussion > A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 23

A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - hawkeye
Third-hand tale; there is a theory among a group of motorists in Bedale that the A1 Disforth to Barton SPECS cameras aren't working. One brave soul has allegedly hammered his 4x4 through the roadworks 6 weeks ago at up to 90mph and not got a NIP yet.

Anyone here been done?

Any information from the Northern contingent about this?
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Perky Penguin
There is no way of telling if they are working or not. For all we know they might all be dummies - rather like the man who broke the speed limit thru the roadworks
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - ....
I've no idea if the cameras are working or not but been through both directions at an indicated 50mph on my speedo (the posted limit) and had the signs light up telling me to slow down.
According to my satnac 50mph is GPS 47mph.
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Bellboy
why woulds anyone want to hammer through roadworks when there might be contracters working?
"Might" being the keyword.
I don't condone speeding in roadworks where people are working only feet away from fast moving cars - I wouldn't like to get hit by 1.5 tonnes doing 50 nevermind 90.
This is a long stretch of roadworks where the main work appears to be off to the side where a new road is being build.
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Iffy
...Any information from the Northern contingent about this?...

I can trump Hawkeye's third-hand pub tale with two third-hand pub tales.

Both of these say the cameras are working, and both drivers had NIPs sent to them.

I recall a couple of gantries were put up first, and then a couple more a few weeks later.

Perhaps the system wasn't working until all the gantries were up.

What odds on the cameras remaining after the works are finished (26 March 2012)?
If people think that SPECS cameras are in operation they will, presumably, comply with the limit. In that case the cameras will make no money, BUT, if they are switched off they make no money, cost nothing to run and may still cause a 95% compliance with the limit. That seems like a result.
Trundled through there last night.

It was very dark - some of the road signs are not lit due to the roadworks.

Can the average speed cameras read a number plate in such poor lighting conditions?

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 31 Oct 10 at 07:50
Yes, they have infra-red lights and work in total darkness, or so I read.
...work in total darkness, or so I read...

Perky,

Makes sense - no one was trying it on last night when I went through.

A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Runfer D'Hills
At the risk of thread drift...who me ?....I was following an oldish Suzuki Vitara yesterday in traffic and it was fitted with a tow bar. Nothing too unusual in that you might think especially on a 4x4 which seemed tatty enough to be being used for its intended purpose.

Anyway, point is, the tow bar completely obscured the rear number plate. Almost certainly illegal but judging by the age and condition of the vehicle I'd hazard it had been like that for years. An at least interesting MOT discussion point I'd have thought.

Struck me that it could be seen as handy enough in the event of a Gatso incident though.
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - PhilW
Been through there a few times recently and found that almost all complied with the limit - lanes are pretty narrow in places anyway which makes overtaking the HGVs hazardous, especially when wet and spray is bad.
Thread drift again - my wife and I went through the M1 roadworks recently when she was driving and stopped for a coffee at Toddington, which is within the speed limit area. As we rejoined the M1 she mused that after our half hour stop, could she now drive at 100 mph and still be below the average of 50mph so not get a ticket. Needless to say she didn't test the theory and stuck the cruise control on at 50. (it was at 6am on a Sunday - at any other time in these roadworks, cruise control at 20 mph would be too fast!)
...that after our half hour stop, could she now drive at 100 mph and still be below the average of 50mph so not get a ticket...

I've had similar thoughts.

At Dishforth, there are several sets of cameras, so it likely you would pass by at least two sets which presumably is enough to give a reading.

A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Zero
The cameras are placed to catch leavers, and entrants to the controlled sections
There are times you are not covered.

The M25 widening on the northeast section for example, is voilatile when it comes to traffic, with contraflows changing on a weekly basis at times. The cameras are not flexible, so cant match this.

A/C single lane contraflow is currently not covered for 3 miles for example.
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - hawkeye
My chum from the next village was NIPped recently. He chose the speed awareness course instead of the points during which he found out that the cameras are very much in operation. If I've understood what he told me, there are 5 pairs of cameras chosen at random by the computer for motorists to drive between. He says he was moving with the traffic at about 60mph indicated. The speed awareness course lady says the cameras are nabbing 200 victims a day and the whole setup cost £2.5m to put together.

This Saturday I will be dodging down to Ripon; I think the motor cycle will be my first choice.
i point my learned friends to my post of Sun 10 Oct 10 17:48
ones doesnt need to speed in roadworks the signs say 50mph you do 50mph its not rocket science,the morons that want to do more in their company paid for cars whilst they lead shallow boring lives should be left to overtake you and get zapped
it could be your son/daughter making our roads better with their yellow jackets on or there could be a breakdown in front that leaves the speeders no room for manouvere
being guilty may be more than points on your licence
------------------------angry mode off-----------------------------
the morons leading shallow boring lives in their paid for company cars are not exempt from getting caught by cameras.

A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - bathtub tom
>>after our half hour stop, could she now drive at 100 mph and still be below the average

I've spoken to motorcyclists who will do just that. They'll stop for a fag between specs sections!
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Harleyman

>> I've spoken to motorcyclists who will do just that. They'll stop for a fag between
>> specs sections!
>>

More fool them; just as easy to stick to the limit through the section, but I suppose it takes the "fun" out of it. Not worth paying the fine to test the theory IMO.

I can live with these average speed sections, assuming they're put there for reasons of safety; what does irritate me though is the plonkers who sit at 45 mph in the middle or outside lane, ignoring the convention that the outside lanes are for overtaking only. I'm sure we've covered this before ad nauseam and there's probably no definitive answer, but it's still annoying!
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - bathtub tom
>>the plonkers who sit at 45 mph in the middle or outside lane

I came through the M1 roadworks recently. I was happily sitting at (around) 50MPH in the inside lane, catching another car. As I signalled to go round it he pulled out. I stayed in the inside lane and watched in my mirror as several large artics went up his inside. He couldn't have got off at J12 if he wanted to.
 A1 Dishforth to Barton - anyone been caught - Dr Prunesqualler
That section in the middle is a puzzle to me. I travel regularly up and down almost all of the roadwork section and it always amazes me the number of numpties I see shooting past me in the middle section. Makes me wonder if they know something I don't about the cameras in that section. Not going to risk it though.

And the thing that really annoys me is the number of HGVs that tailgate through the roadworks. If I am in the inside lane pootling along at what my car reckons is 50 I do not take kindly to some idiot 6 inches behind me flashing his lights because he thinks it is 48 and he'll be late with his load of cream or pop bottles. I am not going to speed up on an assumption.

According to the local rag (D&S Gazette) the 2nd section from Leeming to Barton is shelved. I expect the long awaited Bedale Bypass is at risk as well.

If anyone is in the metroplois of Bedale there is an exhibition in the Hall of forthcoming works around Leeming tonight until 1900.
i went to the full skeedaddle show in leeming a good 6 months ago?
got free tax disc holder,pens and im sure a few donks
Latest Forum Posts