Motoring Discussion > I'm in an Interesting Situation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Aaron C. Rescue Replies: 14

I'm in an Interesting Situation - Aaron C. Rescue
I'm in an Interesting Situation

Hmm...just got back from my younger bro's (he's 38, I'm 42) gaff where I turned up a bit unexpectedly. I was passing by, thought I'd call in- we dont normally do that kind of thing, usually we arrange this kind of visit in advance. There's a car involved, an unusual one that he's just bought that I (and he) wanted to see. I'd just returned from a morning's mountain biking with a pal, so was boggin. (And incidentally, managed to snap my middle chainring)

So he expresses delight that I'm there, takes me into the back garden to look at the car, which is all he described it to be. We stand around chatting for a few minutes while we examine the car in detail, and then we decide its time for a brew. So back into his.

As he makes the tea, my eyes are drawn to something unusual. Hanging from his coatrack- at the front, no less- are a set of motorbike trousers (salopette style) and a jacket. Both look in good nick, I'd estimate a year or so old. No sign of a helmet.

We drink our tea, and I say nothing.

Back outside, and he remembers that he was going to ask me to service his pushbike. He drags open the garage door (I gather its a shared garage) and there is...a 650 GSXF, maybe 10 years old. It apparently belongs to someone else in the block. Or does it?

Hmmm...why do I give a toss, you wonder, and why did I say nothing when I saw the bike clothing. Well, 17 years ago this September, our middle brother died in a motorbike smash. Although we've privately expressed a desire to each other to get onto 2 wheels again, we jointly came to the conclusion that it would upset/worry the other too much, not to mention how my Dad (Mum's now gone) would feel, should he know.

I've thought about it, and its his life, I suppose. Despite our middle-aged status, I still worry for and about him- he's single, no dependents. And I cant really blame him for getting another bike if he has. Heck, I cant even blame him for not telling me- chances are he doesn't want to worry me! But part of me would like to openly discuss it with him, I suppose, maybe even congratulate him for getting back on 2 wheels, who knows?

Confused of Lanarkshire.
Last edited by: Aaron C. Rescue on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 20:40
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - R.P.
He's a closet biker and chosen not to worry his nearest and dearest. I did some similarly "daft" things in the last twelve months without telling my family....
Yeah, I reckon you're right PU. Fair play to him, the lure of 2 wheels is a very strong one- I feel it myself still, fairly often.
It's a very odd thing - being intimately involved with my little fleet this week - fettling and tinkering. I love them all.
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - Ted

I had to be reasonably devious when I bought a bike after a few years off. Mrs Cams wasn't too keen so I started with the Velo Le and promised I would never exceed 50 mph ! ( impossible ). Gradually upped the size and power with Condor, BMW and Gold Wing.
Could ride the Wing OK but pushing round in the garage was something else.

She was a lot happier when I bought a little twist & go.....she hasn't been told of it's performance !...0 to 60 in 5 secs and 120 mph. At 64, that'll do for me now.

It's in the blood.......it's something he has to do. Encourage him to get some advanced training if he hasn't already. Knowing that you worry may make him a safer biker.

Ted
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - Avant
Aaron (what a brilliant nom de plume by the way) - why not write or E-mail him saying 'do tell me - is it yours really....I'd love one too and need advice....not a word to Dad' etc. Much better to have it out in the open.
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - MD
Humanity prevails. I like you lot.

M
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - Pat
Far better to look back and have enjoyed what you have done than to regret what you haven't, Aaron.

Pat
Thanks for all the advice, guys. Lots of wisdom here from you all.

cheers!

acr (formerly theterranaut)
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - Haywain
A few years ago, there was a chap from the local village of Eccles who used to race motorbikes at Snetterton. He raced under the pseudonym of 'Eccles Cayke' and, one day, we were informed over the p.a. that he daren't use his real name because if his mum found out that he raced motorbikes, she would kill him!
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - Fullchat
Wanting to own and ride a motorcycle is like an itch that wont go away you have to scratch.
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - Boxsterboy
Yes, life is for the living. But I think I know what you mean - perhaps a little upset, not that he's (probably) doing it, but that he didn't come clean?

We think we know people, but human nature never loses its capacity for surprise.
Had some adrenalin today on the bike - some fool forgot to tax it. And I took a chance - seen a lifetime's worth of Traffic cars in Manchester and the route home, the worst trouser moment was when I saw a lurid BMW Touring covered in ANPR stickers on the A56 - a bit of ducking and diving avoided contact. Felt like the pilot of a Mosquito on a low level daylight raid.....

Same fool remembered to insure and MoT it and promises faithfully to tax it tomorrow backdating it to the end of the last one....so no-one loses out !
 I'm in an Interesting Situation - smokie
In the early 80s I bought a 2nd hand car and for a host of reasons ran it without tax for a couple of months (this was way before camera technology). Eventually bought tax, backdating it to the first of the month in which I taxed it.

Anyway, some months later a Vehicle Enforcement Officer turned up on my doorstep saying my car had been spotted without tax. I explained what had happened (basically the dealer had promised to get me tax as part of the deal, and promised, and promised, then eventually I visited him to get the paperwork to get the tax myself).

I got summonsed and ended up with a £5 fine and no costs - "not displaying a valid tax disc" IIRC. The fact that I'd bought and backdated the tax probably helped in mitigation, but I (and my assisting legal people) didn't expect me to end up in court at all, and definitely not get a rap!
Taxed it this morning at the LVLO - very good and empathetic service. I discovered that I can't backdate it to when the tax finished and they would only issue me with a 6 month tax - being a law abiding type I paid 2 months back duty of 11 pounds. It'll all sort itself as I'll surrender this tax next week when the bike gets sold and get some of my cash back at least !
Latest Forum Posts