Motoring Discussion > Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 20

Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - R.P.
Back in August we bought one of these as a first "big" bike for my wife and pottering bike for me (replacing the BMW GS) - due to unforeseen circumstances not much has been done with the Kawasaki but I needed to clock up some miles for its first service, so that's what I've done !

The bike was a zero miles pre-reg and was bought for an exceptional price (cheaper than 12 month old used examples with a fair mileage on them) - It has been a painfully slow 500 to 600 miles but after today's ride finally bonded with it.

The bike has sufficient oomph for dual carriageways and will (I expect) punt along at 70 to 80 with no drama, but what I love is the raspy little parallel twin 650cc engine pulls like a good 'un, OK hasn't got the torque of the BMW Boxers I'm used to but it pulls well. The bike is small and light enough and balance easily - an ideal commuter as it is so threadable through traffic gaps, easy to filter through stop go traffic...

Already fitted a rack in preparation for a decent top-box so Newspaper/Milk trips are easier....an ideal everyman bike, just need to scrape the chicken strips off before ts service next week.
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - bathtub tom
I've been off bikes too long.

What the hell are 'chicken strips'?
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - Pat
Don't you know anything Tubby tommy? :)

The top box should ensure you stay in place when riding on the back PU!

Pat
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - ....
With some of the tyre technology today you might have to be going some to get rid of the chicken strips.

Last year when I was France with a few mates a couple of them had brand new tyres on their 09 'Blades and weren't hanging about in the corners,they still had the strips at the end of the week. It became a standing joke trying to get rid of them.
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - Westpig
I understand some saddos use sand paper...and 'no' i'm not that soldier.

I have often wondered though if some tyres are easier to get to the edge than others.
... or maybe there's a little green streak in me?
Chicken Strips = a highly visible strip around the outside of the tyre's circumference - the strip still has the waxy texture of the new tyre as it hasn't been in contact with the road as the rider is too yellow to lean that far over. I am not yellow in the leaning department and the chicken strips on the late lamented GS were far narrower than they had any right to be on a Bavarian tractor...! :-)
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - Runfer D'Hills
The mountain bikers equivalent is when the ends of your pedals are too shiny. You can always spot a fellow nutter by the amount of damage to the pedal ends and the ends of the handlebar grips. Mainly results from the "final option" for losing speed on a steep descent by getting the bike sideways to the downslope and deliberately digging the upslope pedal into the dirt as a drag anchor. Not recommended for beginners !
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - MD
O.U.C.H.!!
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - Fullchat
Flat spot down the middle then PU? :-]
You don't often see a squared off tyre these days. After 750 motorway miles in one day my Metzeler z06 was still curved.
Funnily enough this was a conversation over a grew today, a Kawasaki GTR rider had to swap out both tyres on his bike, shot after 3K, 2.5k were on motorways, both sqaured up.
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - Runfer D'Hills
Keyboard sticking PU?

:-)
There are quite a few tyre options out there now even for some of the sportier bikes. As I mainly ride faster open roads I opted for the Metzeler's which are more of a tourer tyre. Not what you'd typically see on a CBR600. Last back tyre I got 9k miles out of. Only downside to these tyres is no tread in the middle so no wear indicators.
I have Metzelers on the back of the RT - exactly as you describe them. Don't like it as it causes the bike to tramline slightly albeit disconcertingly- it'll be ditched at first opportunity. The Dunlops on the GS were as solid as a rock....completely vice-free wet or dry, I never had a "moment" in that bike. I miss that bike :-(
I always fit my tyres in pairs especially the M's as the front tyre is tresaded all the way across to clear the water where the rear has no tread. I don't think it is legal here inGermany to mix & match brands on a bike.
I know the tyres have to be certified and approved for your bike, the Police can ask to see the certificate if they want to.
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - J Bonington Jagworth
Pleased to hear some real-life experience, PU. The ER6 has been on my shortlist for a while, for when my Suzi 500 wears out (although it looks like outlasting me). I would like a V-twin though, and so also hanker for a Moto-Guzzi Breva - decisions, decisions.
A Versys JBJ ?
Despite the lack of a V twin's burble, the parallel twin feels so right, a very British concept, perfectly executed though.....it feels so very right....
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - bathtub tom
Ah, realisation dawns.

Real bikes used to have spring-loaded, fold-up pegs. Dunlop triangles were a revelation in the sixties. My knees are testament to the shonky tyres available before.

Drove a few frustrating miles in my 'eurobox' the other day behind a bike. The rider didn't want to take it off vertical. It meant we crept round bends, but they had more than enough acceleration on the straight bits.
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - swiss tony
>> Drove a few frustrating miles in my 'eurobox' the other day behind a bike. The
>> rider didn't want to take it off vertical. It meant we crept round bends, but
>> they had more than enough acceleration on the straight bits.
>>
In the summer I followed a bike down the A40, and on EVERY bend (even almost straight bends...) down went his inside leg so his foot dragged the floor!

In my youth I used to see how many miles I could go without ever putting my feet down - using forward planing, I seem to remember my record was around 25 miles, and no, not on motorways or the suchlike, I mean urban roads!
 Kawasaki ER6-F - A bike for everyman (or woman!) ? - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm sure you're right PU - I must have a go on one. Not so sure about the Versys, and I do still so want one of these..

www.italianmotorsportsofsanantonio.com/Images/BikePhotos/2007-MotoGuzzi-Breva750b.jpg
Latest Forum Posts