Motoring Discussion > Police have that sinking feeling... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 25

Police have that sinking feeling... - BobbyG
tinyurl.com/yehk8zl

Whats the car? I am guessing a Focus Estate?

For those of you who may know the area, this apparently happened near the Stables Pub/Restaurant just outside Kirkintilloch.
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Zero
"The Strathclyde force paid out £721,000 for 1216 pranged cars."

Thats an average of £592 pounds per prang. I wonder how many car they have - assume they have 1200 - that each one pranged each year. Not good drivers are they.
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Dave_
>> Not good drivers are they

Considering a lot of their driving is done flat out, adrenaline pumping, without knowing exactly what situation's going to greet them at the end of their journey, I think one bump a year is pretty good going. Not to mention the fact that £592 could quite easily cover just a single Focus bumper with painting, strobe lights and decals.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere a long time ago that the average private motorist makes an insurance claim roughly every 60,000 miles; a vocational driver every 220,000 miles; and a police driver every 5,000 miles... When doing 100,000 miles a year in a minicab I agreed with the vocational driver figure.
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Pat
So now we castigate their driving standards?

If this was Mr Average Car Driver would it be worthy of note?

Like lorry drivers, the Police always have the finger pointed at them if they are involved in an accident. We are supposed to be professional and beyond reproach, but as we see in the case of Mrs Humph last week, these things can happen all too easily.

Let's not be too hasty in recrimination of one and not another please.

Pat
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Dave_
Oh, and yes, I reckon it's a Focus estate too. :-)
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Boxsterboy
>> Oh and yes I reckon it's a Focus estate too. :-)
>>

Yes, definitely a Focus. (God we're a sad bunch on here, aren't we?)
the average car driver does not get tems of thousands of pounds worth of training. When they are expected to drive fast, you expect the best.
 Police have that sinking feeling... - SteelSpark
>> the average car driver does not get tems of thousands of pounds worth of training.
>> When they are expected to drive fast you expect the best.

I guess you must be joking. Police drivers are going to inherently be put in situations where there is risk of damage to their vehicles, and they have to drive to balance getting the job done compared to the risks.

Why didn't you block that joyrider? Sorry guv, I was worried that he might run into me and I would lose my no claims bonus...

Police have that sinking feeling... - L'escargot
>> I wonder how many car they have
>> - assume they have 1200 - that each one pranged each year.

Or one car pranged 1216 times.
;-)
 Police have that sinking feeling... - LEDFoot
Were they chasing those dukes again? It's always gonna end like this...
 Police have that sinking feeling... - BobbyG
Never could work out - what was Sheriff Roscos proper full name? Always came across as Sheriff Rosco Peko Train!!

One lesson Ihave learned is to never watch re runs of Dukes of Hazzard, I loved them when I was a kid, I recently watched one and I cringed at the whole thing, the stunts, the stories, the chases!! Not watching them again!
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Alanovich
Roscoe P. Coltrane, I believe.
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Focusless
>> Roscoe P. Coltrane I believe.

... P for Purvis en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff_Rosco_P._Coltrane
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Focusless
>> >> Roscoe P. Coltrane I believe.
>>
>> ... P for Purvis en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff_Rosco_P._Coltrane

"Why Rosco does not simply arrest the boys at their farm for resisting arrest because of these chases is never explained."

I knew something about that programme didn't ring true... :)
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Aaron C. Rescue
everything2.com/title/How+to+write+an+episode+of+Dukes+of+Hazzard
 Police have that sinking feeling... - L'escargot
"The officers were speeding to an emergency call when the driver lost control."

I bet the passenger lost control as well!
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Alanovich
I wonder how they escaped from the vehicle. The tailgate's open, so perhaps that way, as I expect the car's front end would go down first, leaving the tailgate in the air and free from external water pressure.

Do Focii have an internal boot release? Must be difficult to operate electric windows when in the drink.
 Police have that sinking feeling... - midlifecrisis
Police officers are human shock!!!

When we T-PAC a car, it can result in damage to 3 or 4 Police vehicles. So one deliberate tactic to stop a pursuit can lead to 4x damaged cars. Doesn't make the statistics look good and gives the ignoramuses plenty of ammunition. But we all know there are lies, damn lies and statistics!
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Bellboy
well im glad they got out safely trying to uphold justice in this increasingly lawless society i find myself living in
what was he trying to do, TPAC a houseboat?

Anyway, this was no accident, the word is not allowed to exist in the police manual. Therefore the driver was to blame, end of.

confused ignoramus
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 9 Mar 10 at 19:30
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Westpig
Zero,

Stop being a 'male bird'.

The driver was more than likely* to blame because whilst driving in a stressful situation in circumstances where you're more likely to come to grief..he came to grief. No surprise there, it happens. Unless robots are employed, it will always happen, you try to minimise it through driver training, regular check tests and education... and being a public service, (particularly in these times of budget restraint and cutbacks), all three are not what they could be.

*if he was driving like a clown, it will be easily found out through analysis of the Incident Data Recorder (presumably some data still on it having been in a canal) or the remotely fed Mobile Data Terminal.

If at fault he'll be summonsed to court.... one of those real ones, where the armchair lawyers don't usually go.
>> If at fault he'll be summonsed to court.... one of those real ones where the
>> armchair lawyers don't usually go.

I know what they are - been there.

Its just a bugbear of mine that the sanctimonious police attitude that no longer accepts the concept of accident and someone to blame has to be found. If I had my way him, and anyone else who had a momentary lapse would be given a verbal slapping and told to watch it in future.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 9 Mar 10 at 22:30
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Westpig
>> Its just a bugbear of mine that the sanctimonious police attitude that no longer accepts
>> the concept of accident and someone to blame has to be found. If I had
>> my way him and anyone else who had a momentary lapse would be given a
>> verbal slapping and told to watch it in future.
>>

yeah...fair enough
 Police have that sinking feeling... - Ted

How things have changed...deliberate ramming of suspect's cars ? No chance in my day.
Scratch any police vehicle and you were grounded with reports flying around.

Much better now, I think. They're only a tool of the trade....and to be used as needed.

I remember one poor Patrol Driver wrote off a complete Humber Super Snipe accident car in a traffic lights incident.........He was grounded for weeks and at the end sent back on the beat !

Ted
 Police have that sinking feeling... - R.P.
One marvellous story about some Officers on nights going to a party - they came out and found the back end of their car stoved in - much panic. Woke up a friendly garage whose owner "made good" paint still tacky when they were booking out.

Next day the sergeant was very curious as to how a car's rear end has mysteriously been fixed by the garage faries overnight following a documented "Polvac" by the afternoons shift the previous day. Probably an urban myth...
 Police have that sinking feeling... - SteelSpark
>> Its just a bugbear of mine that the sanctimonious police attitude that no longer accepts
>> the concept of accident and someone to blame has to be found.

I know what you mean. Sometime it almost seems as if they are trained to be suspicious and to investigate the facts to see if an offence has been committed.
Latest Forum Posts