Motoring Discussion > Tricks of the trade revealed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 11

Tricks of the trade revealed - Iffy
Wooden ducks, low balling and ankle tapping.

Know what I mean, squire?

tinyurl.com/2vpgk74
 Tricks of the trade revealed - Bellboy
could be worse you could be a shorts wearing mushta
 Tricks of the trade revealed - Stuu
Dunno who wrote that junk but the lingo is so far outta date, it must be some kinda recycled stuff from an older article from 20 years back atleast. Someone is trying to appear cleverer than they are.

I never heard salesmen talk like that, they just didnt. They spoke normally or as normally as jumped up nobodys do.
...They spoke normally or as normally as jumped up nobodys do...

'Ere, I'll have you know I was a car salesman - and I agree with you.

We didn't use those terms.
Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 16:17
 Tricks of the trade revealed - Stuu
No offense Iffy, its just that every car salesman ive ever met through my trade has been some twerp who frankly has no more skills in sales than those sign up merchants who sell electrical goods. You wouldnt know it to see them prance about the place though.

The properly great salesmen are few and far between in car sales. Ive met two, one was a serial womaniser ( and family man ), the other, well he sells Astons now. Funny enough, I liked the first one best although wouldnt trust as far as I could throw him, nor should his customers!
...No offense Iffy...

None taken.

We didn't have that type at the place where I worked, which is probably why I fitted in OK.

But they do exist.

As you say, even those wallys didn't use the terms in the article.

Tricks of the trade revealed - bathtub tom
I would've thought that with the average intelligence of the car salesmen I've met, they don't stay in the trade long enough to learn these euphemisms.

They go to work in Currys/Dixons/Halfords. ;>)
 Tricks of the trade revealed - Skoda
There's a used car salesman, must be in his late 40's, works for a fairly well known used car place in Tollcross, previously worked for another place (now closed) on the same street.

This is the only car salesman i've ever found myself trusting. Back when i was looking for a Golf i went looking for him specifically because i'd previously bought a wee Peugeot 306 from him which turned out to be everything he said.

We were looking at a golf he had, i've never known a salesman to willingly crawl (in white shirt and trousers) under a car on the concourse to point out something he was a bit worried about.

Tricks of the trade revealed - Ted

I have a complete distrust of salesmen who present themselves with jet black, curly permed hair, shiny suit and bling hanging off them like a Christmas tree. You're just a mug punter to them....A lot have little technical knowledge of the product and would be at home flogging anything..........just a commodity !

We went to a well known bed company to see if we could obtain a 2'6" mattress for a child's bed. The above described sidled up to us in an oily manner and ignored our request, insisting on trying to flog us a double mattress, and it was only about £600 !!
The corner bed shop in Moss Side found what we wanted and delivered it promtly and efficiently. He was dressed just like an ordinary bloke.

One round here had a cheapo fireplace shop....same type except a white suit. He had the ultimate bit of bling, which he spent a lot of time staring at...a Panther deVille in cream.
Had to chuckle, couldn't even spell the name of his own shop...Flaming Fires.....always had an E in....' Flameing '

Ted
 Tricks of the trade revealed - BobbyG
That surprises me Skoda, all those garages look extremely dodgy to me even though I used to know` the guy who ran Swales Forrest on the same stretch.
 Tricks of the trade revealed - L'escargot
I always buy what I choose to buy. I've never had a salesperson "sell" me a car.
 Tricks of the trade revealed - Soupytwist
Surely Carcoat Damphands offers the only reliable guide to carsales lingo.

sniffpetrol.com/category/carcoat-damphands/

If only we knew what he was talking about. Minty.
Latest Forum Posts