Motoring Discussion > Toyota Avensis - Any experience? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeteW Replies: 10

Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - PeteW
Went to look at an Accord today, but ended up taking interest in the neigbouring Avensis. It's a 2002 2.0 vvti SR with 80K miles. Just reduced to £2K. It looked really straight, slight nudge on the rear bumper (a £100 smart repair job) but otherwise nicely presented. I think the fact it is a saloon has prevented it selling...
Took it for a drive which was very comfortable, quiet and pretty nippy!
Downside is a service history which ran out at 60K miles in 2007. There are a few receipts dated since then which indicate self servicing by the previous (2nd) owner since he bought it in 2007.
Now I don't usually go for anything without decent history, but my gut tells me this has been cared for - just not at a dealer. The stamped history is all Toyota to 40K, then the selling dealer at 60K.

Thoughts?
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - Iffy
Sounds a nice enough car for £2K.

As you say, the value in it is that it's a saloon which nobody wants.

Toyota diesels were not that clever around this time, so a petrol is a better bet.

Nothing is going to have a perfect history at this age, condition is far more important.

Trust your judgment.

You enjoyed driving the car, and your gut feeling is it's been looked after.

The conclusion is obvious, but hurry up because the garage might shut at 5pm.
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - Falkirk Bairn
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-1997/

HJ CBC - worth a glance!
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - PeteW
>>he conclusion is obvious, but hurry up because the garage might shut at 5pm.

And there I was thinking you'd got bored with the DG sales jokes!
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - swiss tony
Its a Toyota..
Should be as good as gold!
is it at a dealer, car sales lot, or private?

EP, I'm looking at changing my career.. and I'm after advise regarding working for your company. would you mind contacting me, via my e-mail addy? (contact a mod if you are.)
Cheers.
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - Bigtee
It's banger money at 2k as said it's a toyota it will be fine, i serviced my own with no stamps and was ok when i sold it.

Buy it drive it enjoy it.
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - Skip
Does the car look as if has been looked after mechanically ?
Is the oil clean, is the coolant a good strong colour, if the lid of the air cleaner box just clips on, have a look at the filter, are all the tyres of the same make (and are not the cheapest make available !), and still have a good amount of tread on them ? If you can see through the wheels, are the discs in good condition and do the pads have plenty of "meat" left on them ?
If the above are ok, i would not worry too much about the missing history as it would probably mean that it had been cared for by the previous owner.

Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - Iffy
...And there I was thinking you'd got bored with the DG sales jokes!...

I wasn't trying to make one, believe it or not.

I'm with the others on this, sounds as good a car as you'll get for £2K, and you like it as well, so it would be a shame to lose it and have to start looking again.

Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - Bigtee
Lets be honest a stamp does not mean much after a few years we can all buy a stamp and do our books can't we.

As above if it looks right it will be they can't be bad taxi's were all the rage with these years back.
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - corax
If you were happy with it, buy it, but Accords are better to drive, with nice revvy VTEC engines. Not as economical though, if you were looking at the pre 2003 models.
 Toyota Avensis - Any experience? - movilogo
The previous model of Avensis were used heavily as taxis. Even the new models are used as minicabs too. They can't be bad.
Latest Forum Posts