Motoring Discussion > The sleeping killers behind the wheel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 14

The sleeping killers behind the wheel - L'escargot
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8549619.stm
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 10 Mar 10 at 07:28
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - Dog
Perhaps we need a sort of dead mans handle device fitted to vehicles - especially commercial vehicles large & small.
One idea could be a simple brain wave sampling device (biofeeddback?) whereby an alarm would sound if brain waves dipped from Beta to Alpha.
Many lives would then be saved me thinks.
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - BiggerBadderDave
I think the top Audi A8s have something like this already Dog. I read it in Stuff, the gadget mag, apparently it continually scans your eyes and can assess whether you're nodding off or not.
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - Iffy
I think large passenger jets have an alarm which goes off if nothing is touched in the cockpit for a while - the electronics assumes the crew must be asleep.

The sleeping killers behind the wheel - Fursty Ferret
>> I think large passenger jets have an alarm which goes off if nothing is touched
>> in the cockpit for a while - the electronics assumes the crew must be asleep.
>>
>>
>>

Not on ours! But we're allowed "controlled rest" where one crew member has a nap, and ATC can get our attention with SELCAL if all else fails.

Have never come close to falling asleep at the wheel, and in my experience I make far more mistakes first thing in the morning than late at night.
>>> apparently it continually scans your eyes and can assess whether you're nodding off or not. <<<

Yes, I was also thinking along these lines Dave, someone could make a Shekel or 3 by producing such a gadget - could even be another cats eyes earner!
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - Bagpuss
>> I think the top Audi A8s have something like this already Dog. I read it
>> in Stuff the gadget mag apparently it continually scans your eyes and can assess whether
>> you're nodding off or not.

The new Mercedes E-Class also has this.
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - FotheringtonTomas
What the hell does it do if it thinks you're going to go to sleep? Shove 4,000 volts through your rear end?
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - Bagpuss
>> What the hell does it do if it thinks you're going to go to sleep?

It sounds an alarm.
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - ....
>> Perhaps we need a sort of dead mans handle device fitted to vehicles - especially
>> commercial vehicles large & small.
>>
DAC has been available on Volvo models (S80, V70, XC70) since 2007.
www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/pdf/Driver_Alert_Eng.pdf

This is just one of many human conditions which seem to be overlooked.
High Blood Pressure is another example. linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1344622309000170
>>> DAC has been available on Volvo models (S80, V70, XC70) since 2007. <<<

Great idea! And certainly a step in the right direction :)
But I'd like to see a 'simple'? device for aftermarket fitment, possibly based on Bio feedback (Alpha/Beta waves)
----> Hello Mr. Sugar <---
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - L'escargot
Nobody has mentioned the link between obesity and tiredness, which seems to be the backbone of the article.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 10 Mar 10 at 12:48
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - VxFan
Re: sleep apnoea - a condition that I have.

It doesn't just affect us chubby blokes. When I was up the hospital being briefed on how to use a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine to aid sleeping, there were a couple of skinny blokes there too.
>>> Nobody has mentioned the link between obesity and tiredness <<<

Which (in many cases) is due to insulin resistance, or what the medics (incorrectly) call type 2 diabetes which leads to hyper & hypoglycemia.
 The sleeping killers behind the wheel - Mapmaker
>>Have never come close to falling asleep at the wheel,

I am amazed. I often pull over for a quick snooze.
Latest Forum Posts