Motoring Discussion > Treadwear Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 11

Treadwear - Hard Cheese

The very good Goodyear Efficientgrippy thingys on the FocuST state "Treadwear 340", the Michelins fitted before them stated "Treadwear 220" as I recall, the Goodyears are wearing much better and are also more reassuring in the wet.

However I have noticed that the runflat Bridgestone RE050As just fitted to the BMW state "Treadwear 140" hence I am concerned that they will not last.

Any thoughts?

Treadwear - Runfer D'Hills
>> Any thoughts?

Well you could get her a bike with a wicker basket on the front as well. Keep the miles down on the car..Be good excercise too and quite the fashion in Somerset.

:-)
 Treadwear - MD
Annuver 'elpful Git! 0:')
 Treadwear - FotheringtonTomas
You are correct.
 Treadwear - Runfer D'Hills
Aye well, it might just have the edge on being a miserable one...

:-)
 Treadwear - AnotherJohnH
According to the "wheel and tyre bible" the treadwear 140's won't last:

•The tread-wear rating - a comparative rating for the useful life of the tyre's tread. A tyre with a tread-wear rating of 200, for example, could be expected to last twice as long as one with a rating of 100. Tread-wear grades typically range between 60 and 600 in 20-point increments. It is important to consider that this is a relative indicator, and the actual life of a tyre's tread will be affected by quality of road surfaces, type of driving, correct tyre inflation, proper wheel alignment and other variable factors. In other words, don't think that a tread-wear rating of 100 means a 30,000 mile tyre.

Read more: www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#ixzz12rIgflhM
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 20 Oct 10 at 02:39
 Treadwear - L'escargot
>> Read more: www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#ixzz12rIgflhM
>>

And more: www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreinfo.html
Google for "Tyre tread wear rating".
 Treadwear - Hard Cheese

Thanks guys, I am aware that a lower treadwear rating means a tyre that may not last as well however I was after any practical experiences perhaps with the same Bridgestone tyres?

Treadwear - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
Most tyres I've had have said 220/240. I'd a set of Chinese made Touring tyres on my Passat with a tread wear indicator of 400. They did not last any better IMHO.
Michelins last best in my experience over the years, it's just the purchase price that can be hard to swallow.
 Treadwear - paulb
That goes some way to explaining why the non-runflat Potenza RE050s on my Bravo seem only to last about 8,000 miles on the front, then. I'd always put this down to the tendency of diesel-engined Fiats to chew up front tyres, exacerbated in this instance by it being the 150 bhp version.

Although oddly the Turanza whatever-they-weres on the Mondeo seemed to do about 17,000 on the front - car not driven any differently.
 Treadwear - Iffy
The new Barum Bravuris on the CC3 are rated at 340.

So they might not last too badly.

Treadwear - Zero
Well as long as they don't throw up too much water you will be fine.
Latest Forum Posts