Motoring Discussion > Air-bag phobia? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 29

Air-bag phobia? - Cliff Pope
Driving into work to day, enjoying the feel of my slightly retro steering wheel with nice blue enamel Volvo badge I fitted from an earlier model, I suddenly had the thought that I was so glad it didn't have an air-bag.
I know these are no big deal, all cars have them now, they are a safety feature, etc, but it occured to me that I would feel quite nervous sitting with an unexploded device in my face. I don't really like even blowing up balloons, expecting the bang at any moment.

This is wimpish I know. Anyone else ever had these feelings? Is there a support group, or am I alone?
 Air-bag phobia? - Old Navy
I have slept alongside a live torpedo more times than I can remember, lived and worked within feet of enough nuclear weapons to destroy a continent, with enough rocket motors to shift them half way around the world, Oh, and a nuclear power plant.

Airbag, grow up.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Oct 10 at 10:16
 Air-bag phobia? - Chris S
Air bags were only invented because the US constitution couldn't force people to wear seat belts. It can force them to sit in front of an unexploded bomb though.

I think you're right to be concerned - children and small adults have been crushed to death by airbags in low speed crashes that they should have walked away from.
Last edited by: Chris S on Wed 20 Oct 10 at 10:18
 Air-bag phobia? - bathtub tom
If it stops me nutting the steering wheel, I'm prepared to take the risk.
 Air-bag phobia? - WillDeBeest
I have slept alongside a live torpedo...

Mrs Beest has a bit of a temper on her too.

Airbags? No. Been driving airbagged cars since 1993 with (a) no mishaps, (b) no hint of a mishap, and (c) no report of even a hint of a mishap from anyone I know. Anecdotal evidence only goes so far, and I'm usually the first to dismiss it in other contexts, but the evidence is overwhelming that this is mature, effective technology and I'm happy to have it. As always, read the instructions and adhere to the safety precautions and you'll be fine.
 Air-bag phobia? - FotheringtonTomas
>> children and small adults have been crushed to death by airbags in low speed crashes

I'd like to see any example of death caused by airbags used properly.
 Air-bag phobia? - FotheringtonTomas
No. Airbags are a valuable safety feature. I'd rather have one than not have one.
 Air-bag phobia? - Cliff Pope
>> No. Airbags are a valuable safety feature. I'd rather have one than not have one.
>>

Yes I know that - that's the point of a phobia, it is irrational. So is being scared of a life-saving injection, or being carried down a ladder by a fireman 400 feet up.

If air-bags were known to be unreliable, it wouldn't be a phobia any more, it would be a rational fear. Rational fears are easy to deal with - assess the risk, take reasonable precautions, look up the facts of actual incidence, then just get on with life. Grow up, as someone helpfully said. :)
 Air-bag phobia? - Snakey
I didn't have a phobia until I read this thread.

Now I keep glancing at my steering wheel with a worried look on my face....
>> then just get on
>> with life. Grow up, as someone helpfully said. :)
>>

Sorry Cliff, I was a little harsh with that statement. As said above, a tiny gas generator going pop, and maybe a scuffed nose, is better than head butting a leather coated steel steering wheel or a windscreen.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Oct 10 at 12:41
 Air-bag phobia? - Bellboy
i let one off again the other week in a car with all doors closed,boy was it loud
however temporary deafness and small burns is infinitely preferable to glass fragments in your vitreous

women and small children only get hurt because they are too near the airbag,try telling your wife/lover/mistress that her seat is too near the steering wheel and you may as well talk to the moon,i dont bother anymore
 Air-bag phobia? - Cpt. Flack
Having attended numerous airbag actuated car crashes over the years, the injuries actually caused by the airbag have been minor friction burns to the lower arms, so wear long sleeves, and slight grazes to the nose.
By the way, the fire service here doesn't operate 400ft platforms or ladders ;-)
 Air-bag phobia? - RattleandSmoke
All the cars I have owned have had airbags, including the '95 Fiestas. I just think its a nice cushion to hit rather than a hard steering wheel :).

I am scared of heights though, I cannot get further than about 10 steps on a ladder. To some that is irrational.

Air-bag phobia? - Bellboy
dont drive your car up blackpuddle tower and you will be ok then :-)
 Air-bag phobia? - Westpig
I've set an airbag off when driving at work...it was no real drama. I knew the shunt was going to happen split seconds before it did..and then all of a sudden I was a bit dazed and my right hand was a bit sore where I did a sort of involuntary Magnus Pike.. and that was it.
 Air-bag phobia? - Iffy
...I've set an airbag off...

Pal of mine parked his Jag in the Armco at a roundabout.

Airbags popped off all over the place, but it was the white fumes that bothered him.

"I thought the damn thing had caught fire," he told me.

Air-bag phobia? - Zero
I set off 5 airbags. The cabin was full of fumes and cloudy, very hot, I had burns on my arms, and am slightly deaf in one ear.

It was quite a drama.
>> I set off 5 airbags. The cabin was full of fumes and cloudy, very hot,
>> I had burns on my arms, and am slightly deaf in one ear.
>>
>> It was quite a drama.
>>

Do you think they reduced the damage you would have received without them?
 Air-bag phobia? - Zero
Who can tell really, I am still alive so who knows.
 Air-bag phobia? - Westpig
Would never have imagined you as a drama queen Zero?....;-)
>> Would never have imagined you as a drama queen Zero?....;-)
>>

I did. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 22 Oct 10 at 09:25
 Air-bag phobia? - Pat
Me too:)

Pat
 Air-bag phobia? - Zero
Not a drama queen, Bit of a "Lovey" tho ;)
 Air-bag phobia? - CGNorwich
white "fumes"is talcum powder or corn starch used to prevent bag sticking to itself
 Air-bag phobia? - AnotherJohnH
>> 'd like to see any example of death caused by airbags used properly.

I'm not so sure I'd like to see that.

I'd be interested to know about a problem, but no, not be seeing dead bodies, thanks all the same.
 Air-bag phobia? - Redviper
When my Laguna slid into the side of the road bumping into the Armco at the side that set the airbag off, there was a loud bang and that made me jump more than anything.

A scuffed arm, ears ringing a bit, and then all this smoke, i too thought the car was on fire - before realising what it was - it was scary, but nothing im frightened about. its the noise and smoke more than anything that scared me at the time of it going off.

Air-bag phobia? - Injection Doc
I would much rather have one! as Cpt flack says quite rightly, long sleeve shirts are better to reduce friction burns! The biggest lesson is to make sure you hold the steering wheel properly ! those that put their hands across the spokes run the greatest risk of injury from air bag deployment
As already mentioned fine if used properly! as the saying goes "its all down to the nut behind the steering wheel"
 Air-bag phobia? - CGNorwich
Coming soon, an airbag for cyclists:

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/21/cyclist-collar-airbag-helmet
 Air-bag phobia? - bathtub tom
Oh dear! That must have been a very contrived impact. Look at the back wheel of the bike.

I've seen bikes that have been rammed from behind at junctions, without the rider suffering any injuries and the bike's been unrideable afterwards because the back wheel's so deformed it won't go round between the frame.
 Air-bag phobia? - swiss tony
Have you noticed how the airbag collar, changed the wearer for a male, to a female?
look at the top pictures.....
Latest Forum Posts