Motoring Discussion > New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 35

New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Falkirk Bairn
BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11601537

National agreement for cheaper cars from restricted list of manufacturers

No Skodas, Hondas, Nissans.....................
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - FotheringtonTomas
From the article:

"They will be able to select only certain models of Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot or Hyundai, while forces seeking a high-performance traffic vehicle - which police often use while on motorway patrol - will be able to choose from certain BMW, Audi or Volvo models.

Other manufacturers in the preferred suppliers' list include Jaguar, Iveco and VW should forces decide they need other types of vehicles including motorbikes, vans and armoured VIP saloons.
"
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Marc
There should have been a provision to support British built cars only so Honda, Toyota and Nissan should have been on the list IMO.

Can't see French, German or US police forces using anything other than domestic products.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - RattleandSmoke
It would have been too restrictive, however many Vauxhalls are built in Britian :).

I am sure they will be buying many British built Tranists too.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 22 Oct 10 at 10:30
"It would have been too restrictive"

Not sure about that. All you need is one car in each sector - which we can meet.

I reckon a 'police spec' Jag XF would be OK as a BMW 5 series replacement.

Where we fall down is on a performance estate - we don't have one so we'll just have to stick with Discos, RRs and RRSs in that respect.

New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - WillDeBeest
Next thing we'll hear is that the British-built Tranists are the new Greatest Threat.

Rattle, don't you ever re-read the stuff you type before pressing Post? OK, we can guess that one but working out what you actually meant can be exhausting for the rest of us.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Iffy
...we can guess that one but working out what you actually mean can be exhausting for the rest of us...

I don't want to get mucked into the lad, but The Beest has a good point, which also applies to one or two others.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - BobbyG
I had to re-read Rattle's post 3 times to see what you were getting at - every time I had read it , it said Transit to my eyes.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Old Navy
I hope this is the start of sensible government procurement with centralised mass purchaces and supply to all government departments. Not going to hold my breath though.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Tooslow
Hmm, it ought to work but... The company I worked for had centralised purchasing. They made the purchasing manager redundant or, more accurately, they brought in a new system and she told them that if she had wanted to run a Grattan's catalogue... You didn't want to negotiate with her. You lost. After she went I'm convinced the negotiating strategy was "that's not expensive enough, we want to pay more".

As an aside, if you wanted a mobile phone you looked in the on line purchasing catalogue under.... N for Nokia. Obvious really. Of course when they switched to Orange and you got an Orange branded piece of junk I reckon there was more work than ought to have been necessary in re-jigging the web pages.

The public sector doesn't have a monopoly on dimwits :-(

John
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Bromptonaut
>> Can't see French, German or US police forces using anything other than domestic products.

You'd think that but I'm fairly sure I've seen 'Gendarmerie' Subarus on the autoroute.
So no more Evos and Scoobies.... well that sounds the end of at least one TV series :)
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Perky Penguin
No Great Loss really. "Police rescue cow from Motorway" - "Foreign Driver speeding and given a warning" It is infotainment not entertainment
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Bill Payer
>> while forces seeking a high-performance traffic vehicle - which police often use while on >> motorway patrol - will be able to choose from certain BMW, Audi or Volvo models.
>>

Perhaps I'm having a mental blank, but I can't recall ever seeing an Audi police car?
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Fri 22 Oct 10 at 11:32
"Perhaps I'm having a mental blank, but I can't recall ever seeing an Audi police car?"

You're not. I can't recall either. Don't see why we need them (together with Peugeot and Hyundai also IMO) The BMW and Volvo do make sense however as they're proven.
>> "Perhaps I'm having a mental blank, but I can't recall ever seeing an Audi police
>> car?"

I think you will find that the CID and covert police units use all manner of vehicles which may not be obvious to the casual observer.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Londoner
Do the police fit winter tyres on any of their vehicles, I wonder?
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Routemaster
I thought the French Police use Ford Focus Estates - although IIRC in the past used Megane estates.

RM
>> Do the police fit winter tyres on any of their vehicles, I wonder?
>>

This was discussed recently, The police drivers basically said that they wear out too quickly on traffic cars.

Highland police have full mud and snow tyres on their Landrovers all year round, don't know about their other cars.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Londoner
Thanks, ON. That's interesting.

So all those police BMWs which I see driving perfectly well on snow are still on summer tyres. Must be down to the higher standard of police drivers compared to plebs like me.

A sobering and slightly dispiriting thought.
"I think you will find that the CID and covert police units use all manner of vehicles which may not be obvious to the casual observer."

That's completely separate from this standardised liveried scheme though. You'd expect plainclothes/undercover to use anything.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Zero
The should be allowed to buy what they want for whatever use they want based on experience, requirement and budget.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Armel Coussine
>> and budget.

I wonder when the 'pre-enjoyed' jalopy will become a main police choice?

Bell boy definitely needs to start gearing up for the new era.
So not that long ago, white cars were strictly not the in thing. So much so that the police changed their cars over to silver in many places, partly to assist with any residual resale values (though I would have thought dearer for paint repairs).

Now white seems to be the in-colour . Will police cars change back? Do police cars lead the fashion or break the fashion?? :)
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - madf
"The should be allowed to buy what they want for whatever use they want based on experience, requirement and budget. "

Any - but any- person with purchasing experience will wince at that..

How to spend more money on buying new, maintaining and repairing..

New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - spamcan61
>>
>> Can't see French, German or US police forces using anything other than domestic products.
>>

I must admit to being very surprised a year or so ago, pulled up next to a California Highway Patrol motorbike in San Diego, it was a Honda!
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - R.P.
BMW are supplying 6 cylinder diesel engines and drivetrains as the basis of a national spec patrol car for the US - something like a 125000 will be built.
www.cars-10.com/2010/03/bmw-ordered-240-000-diesel-engines-for-american-police/

Sorry it was 240,000 - that is a lot of Police cars.
www.carbonmotors.com/machine

More details here.
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - rtj70
Will they be usable in all states? Has California legalised sale of diesels of late?
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - midlifecrisis
Audis are coming, but only a few, They price was to good to refuse. (But they won't be marked). A number of Forces use A6 Quattros as ARVs as well.

The Jag XF is better to drive than a 5 series, but is not proving to be as robust. We're having a few 'issues'.
"BMW are supplying 6 cylinder diesel engines and drivetrains as the basis of a national spec patrol car for the US"

Jake and Elwood wouldn't look right in a 5 Series IMO.
"The Jag XF is better to drive than a 5 series, but is not proving to be as robust. We're having a few 'issues'."

Good to hear they're being used though. Is that a special 'police spec' then?
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Armel Coussine
>> We're having a few 'issues'.

Nothing that a couple of hidden girders front and back can't deal with surely mlc? :o}

Or are we talking running gear?
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Bill Payer
>> www.carbonmotors.com/machine
>>
>> More details here.
>>
Ooops - I just clicked some boxes and I think I might have ordered 1000 of them!
 New Cop cars from preferred Suppliers only - Skoda
>> No Skodas

Booo! :-)
Latest Forum Posts