Motoring Discussion > Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 14

Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Cpt. Flack
Fuel starting to creep upwards again.
What has happened to the pre-election pledge to control the rise of fuel pricing with a sliding scale of tax to keep the price at a stable level.
Hyped up before the election. Have not heard a murmour since. Are they going to implement or not? Or is it too much of a cash cow for them as it was for Labour.
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Old Navy
I would forget that one, they will blame the deficit / labour. And it will soon be 20% VAT on the fuel and the fuel tax.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 23 Oct 10 at 15:48
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - -
I doubt this or any future govt will ever be cutting taxes again, especially with something those of us needing to get to work have little choice but to pay up.
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Harleyman
Check out the wholesale price; retail follows it.

It's often around this time of year that prices rise again, after a summer-time dip.

I bought heating oil about two months ago, luckily right at the bottom, still paid 41.5 pence/litre. It's now closer to 50pence.
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Marc
I'm pretty chuffed then. Paid 39.5p+VAT for my oil week before last (but I am part of a co-operative)
Last edited by: Marc on Sun 24 Oct 10 at 18:30
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Tooslow
Lucky devil! I paid 41.something for a top up at the beginning of the month, just a little more than for a big fill earlier in the year. As the tank is a cylinder laid on it's size it's difficult to gauge how much it will take. But I've found some tables on't web now!

John
You did well there. I use Boilerjuice as a rough guide, then phone round the three main suppliers in my area. Difference can be as much as 10 pence/litre!

Best move I made was to replace the 1000 litre metal tank with a 2500 litre plastic one; means I can order a substantial amount when the price is low, without having to bother about running the level down too much. The savings have repaid the extra cost of the larger tank within three years. Also means I don't have to pay the considerable premium for a 500 litre delivery.
Yup, I use that strategy.

In Dec '98 I paid 9.5 p / litre. Sigh...

John
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Bromptonaut
Not related to tax but mention of heating oil prompts me to comment on the diesel/petrol price gap. Just starting to widen as winter approaches.

Locally (south midlands) its presently around 2-3p. But at Shell garage between Milton Keynes and Towcester yesterday it was 7p!!.

How's it looking in you neck of the woods??
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Runfer D'Hills
Still a couple of pence in it hereabouts. About £1.20-ish most places for diesel at the mo.

A funny thing though, you know the "posh" diesel you can get from BP and Shell in particular ? Well, back when diesel was under a pound a litre the fancy stuff was 7p more making it quite noticeably more expensive. It is still 7p more which as a percentage is much less painful.

Appropos of nothing much really unless you like to treat your car to drop of the good stuff now and then.
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Marc
Tooslow and Harleyman - you should start up your own co-ops then. Get the whole village/local area signed up. Savings are pretty good for large bulk orders.

I replaced my larger (imperial probably about 2500 l), rusting 70s metal tank for a DESO H1900 plastic a couple of years ago. I try and get it topped in summer but as I had half a tank already didn't bother this year but was keen to get it done before Xmas after what happened with deliveries and prices last year.
Last edited by: Marc on Sun 24 Oct 10 at 19:43
Tried it Marc; of my three neighbours, one is on LPG, one is persistently loyal to a company which I always find the most expensive, and t'other is too mean to have his heating on!
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Crankcase

>>
>> Best move I made was to replace the 1000 litre metal tank with a 2500
>> litre plastic one; means I can order a substantial amount when the price is low,
>> without having to bother about running the level down too much. The savings have repaid
>> the extra cost of the larger tank within three years. Also means I don't have
>> to pay the considerable premium for a 500 litre delivery.
>>

How does that work then? Just put 1000 litres into boiler juice - 43p a litre. Then changed it to 2500 litres. 43p a litre...

Really? That's not what I find. Price drops as you buy more, though above 2,000 litres the drop, if any, is very small. The fixed price of the tanker delivery is being spread over your litres.

I've just looked at Theheatingoilclub and got 47.3p / litre for 500 or 43.5 for 2000.

BJ shows 45.2 to 48.3 for 500 and 42.4 to 45.6 for 2,000.

Maybe there is only supplier signed up to BJ for your postcode? It just shows that you have to shop around.

John
 Fuel Taxation- Tory manifesto - Crankcase
Tried again to be sure. For my postcode, on standard delivery, 500 litres is 42.9, and 2500 litres is 42.89.

I suppose I'll just have to try harder elsewhere to get any sort of saving - my local supplier I've always used is consistently a penny or so under the boilerjuice figure anyway, even with my little 1000 litre tank (two and half fills a year).

Latest Forum Posts