Motoring Discussion > Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 16

Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - TheManWithNoName
Please don't tell anyone else. It'll just be our little secret but I've discovered this brand new stretch of road, part of the M25 I think, and no-one's using it!

Yeah, I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I think millions have been spent widening the M25 and I can't believe they did it just for me. Its quite sweet really.

There I was cruising at 75 and I practically had the whole lane to myself.
I felt a bit greedy to be truthful and felt as if I should have invited other road users to joint me but none could be persuaded so I carried on cruising until the 50mph limit and the average camers appeared.

Please don't tell anyone about this road because I think it will eventually get discovered and then it'll be busy.

Mum's the word.

All the best.
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Skoda
Is J27 the location of the that channel 4 ad where the merc swerves across in front of the filming car, over slip road chevrons with smoke coming from a locked wheel as it brakes hard?
Last edited by: Skoda on Mon 25 Oct 10 at 13:46
It could be, but all roadworks look the same to me.

I've often wondered if that in-fill film was for real or staged?
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Zero
I thought it was m3 northbound Junction 2 onto M25 J12.
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Old Navy
A better secret is the M74, often 3 lanes all to yourself.
The trouble with 4 lanes on a motorway is that usually eventually the nearside lane turns into a filter lane therefore I think drivers must be scared to use them in case, shock!, Horror, Gasp! they'd have to actually 'change lanes'.

I wonder how many years it will be before regular drivers along that stretch realise its been built for them to use rather than as a concrete and tarmac storage area?
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - RattleandSmoke
There are roads like that near me, they are called bus lanes, my own personal traffic free lane at most times of the day.
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Skoda
>> A better secret is the M74, often 3 lanes all to yourself.

Oi you! We've kicked southerners out for telling lesser secrets... :-P
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - MD
Southerners leave by their own accord where Northern water, sorry beer is concerned. o:)
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Old Navy
>> >> A better secret is the M74, often 3 lanes all to yourself.
>>
>> Oi you! We've kicked southerners out for telling lesser secrets... :-P
>>
It's not a problem, most south of the M4 dwellers think that the UK ends at Hadrian's wall. A friend in Aberdeen told me of guests from south who phoned from Gretna to say that they were in Scotland and would see him soon, they were a bit surprised when told it would take them at least 4 hours to get to Aberdeen.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Oct 10 at 19:15
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Iffy
...they were a bit surprised when told it would take them at least 4 hours to get to Aberdeen...

I've had that happen the other way round.

Colleague coming from Birmingham to meet me in Durham City.

He rang to say: "Passed Leeds a little while ago, so I'll be there in two or three hours."

I told him to take the handbrake off and he'd make it in 50 minutes.

Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - RattleandSmoke
Thats not a joke, I remember when my mate had to drive my Corsa last year and we hit that hill on the A55 just passed Flintshire and he said the car won't won't go passed 40. The girls in the back kept commenting that they could smell burining before that. I then twigged looked at the dash and saw the hand brake was on! He managed to drive 50 miles with the hand brake on a notch. When we got out the car the rear drums were red hot.

Leeds to Durham in 50 minutes, not quite sure how you would do that legally!>
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Boxsterboy
>> Is J27 the location of the that channel 4 ad where the merc swerves across
>> in front of the filming car, over slip road chevrons with smoke coming from a
>> locked wheel as it brakes hard?
>>

The whole location and film is staged, right down to the smoke from the locked wheels of the Merc C-class - all Mercs have ABS which would of course prevent the locked wheels depicted in the ad.
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - R.P.
CGI that.
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - WillDeBeest
Once a motorway gets beyond three lanes, a substantial minority assume the left lane is an exit lane and stay out of it. Another substantial minority never use the left lane anyway, so that leaves MwNN, a few others and me. The southern M40 is a prime example - there's a ten-mile stretch of fourth lane that I used to use every working day and it would usually be deserted.

I do have some sympathy, though. I'm off work this week, so on Monday we had a family day out in Zero's own Leafy Surrey. That meant using the southwestern sector of the M25, which I don't often do, and that has several points where the left lane becomes an exit and those in it have to make other plans. What I think we need are sign boards or matrix displays that say something like "Left lane continues for 8 miles", so that drivers who don't use the road every day can make an informed decision to use it and have time to plan their exit from it.
I agree a road-side reminder would be a good thing, perhaps even repeater signs stating 'Keep Left unless Overtaking'. Afterall we get those matrix signs telling us to think about bikes.
I too can sympathise with drivers who know the road does eventually filter off not willing to use it especially when its busy and the M25 is nose to tail and no-one wants to let you move across despite indicating. For most its easier to simply stick in the middle somewhere and point and shoot.
 Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
When I drove in LA a few years back I made an effort to stay out of the inside lane as they would unexpectedly dive off the main drag. Was caught once, fortunately in day light.Those endless LA city roads are depressing and scary, house number 50,000 anyone?
Last edited by: Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P} on Wed 27 Oct 10 at 14:33
Latest Forum Posts