Motoring Discussion > Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 14

Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - Ian (Cape Town)
The kind chaps at Hyundai lent me one for an extended test. here's the report, for anyone interested.
Ian

The Hyundai Sonata has been with us through many different guises over the years, but one thing about the previous generations was noticeable - they were probably some of the most boring cars around. Despite being well-specced, and competitively priced, the old Sonatas had a pipe-and-slippers, off-to-the-bowling-club air about them
Not so the latest offering from the Koreans - I can’t recall ever having driven a car which has attracted so much attention, with countless people stopping to admire it wherever it is parked, and asking for the ‘guided tour’. All have come away suitably impressed by the quality, styling and all-round package on offer.
Aiming at gaining a slice of the luxury saloon market, Hyundai make no secret of their desire to challenge the existing competitors, and believe that the new Sonata’s blend of sportiness and luxury will help them make inroads into the sector.
The design is in keeping with Hyundai’s fluidic theme, already seen in the iX35 –with flowing lines and softer curves, and one of the advantages is a distinct lack of wind noise at speed, which is in keeping with the all-round character of the car as a refined and powerful executive saloon.
10 spoke 18 inch alloy wheels add to the aggressive look, as does the black glass full-length roof. It is a big car, no doubt about it, but not imposing.
Build quality seems excellent – the doors and bootlid open and close with a satisfying weightiness, panel fit is excellent, and even over rough roads there are no rattles or rumbles.
The Sonata’s interior is equally impressive – not as overpowering as many vehicles have become, and without that Tokyo-by-night dashboard illumination which has become synonymous with some manufacturers.
Fittings area mixture of matt and shiny black, without those acres of distracting brightwork. Controls are functional and well laid out, with audio, cruise control and dashboard display functions mounted in the comfortable leather-clad steering wheel, which is height and reach adjustable.
Again, the build quality is excellent, with a solid feel to the controls and switches.
The instrumentation binnacle is all digital, with easy to read tachometer and speedometer flanking a combination odometer/economy/trip/fuel consumption display and warning light panel.
The electric front seats - covered in perforated leather - are roomy and comfortable, with plenty of fore-and-aft, height, lumbar support and squab-angle adjustment, and the driver’s side seat automatically moves back 100mm when the engine is turned off, which can be quite disconcerting at first. And even fully adjusted backwards, there is still plenty of leg room in the back, which can take three hefty sized adults with ease.
Storage space in ample, with plenty of dashboard, centre-console compartments and door pockets to swallow up the detritus of daily life. There is also a USB/ipod connection, linked to the six-speaker radio/CD player. Sadly, this is one feature which lets the Hyundai down – a lack of RDS made constant retuning a necessity as I travelled round the peninsula. However, Hyundai assure us that this omission will be dealt with shortly, as part of their policy to tailor their offerings to local needs.
The simple set-and-forget climate control (available on the GLS Executive model) has proven to be a godsend in recent weeks, coping well with both cold damp early mornings and midday heat. The three-piece glass roof features sliding headliner panels in the front and rear, which give an ‘open’ feel even when the sliding sunroof is closed.
The boot is cavernous – one has to climb in, legs protruding to fetch small items which have slid forward – and can easily swallows a couple of golf bags and enough luggage for a week’s excursion. The rear seats fold down to offer even more space, but I can only imagine skiers, surfers and javelin throwers are going to use this feature.
So there you have it. The Sonata is large, comfortable, superbly equipped, and exudes a certain understated stylishness… and I haven’t even started the engine yet.
Because the Sonata has a smart key system, the 131 kW 2.4 litre, 4 cylinder engine is activated by stepping on the brake and pushing the start button on the dash. Your seat moves forward, the diagnostics whirr through their stuff, you shift the six-speed autobox into ‘drive’, release the floor-mounted parking brake, and off you go. Then the fun starts. If you’ve selected the ECONOMY function from the steering-wheel controlled menu, then the Sonata wafts away quietly and quietly. If you haven’t, it wafts away with a bit more vigour. And if it is vigorous you are after, the steering-wheel mounted paddles allow you to over-ride the box, drop down a gear, and make the car take off like a scalded cat.
At cruising speeds, the paddle shift gives you instantaneous acceleration, and more control, especially on windy roads. Based on throttle input, however, it will revert back to ‘D’ when the gearbox senses the need for the lower gear is over. The gear lever, however, allows you to ‘lock down’ into a preferred gear.
Brake assist, ABS and EBD bring the car to s top very rapidly – I have no reason to doubt Hyundai’s figures of a 42m stopping distance from 100 km/h - and the suspension, which feels neither wallowy or too stiff in normal driving is enhanced with amplitude selective dampers, which stiffen the ride on bumpy and uneven roads.
The solid build of the Sonata not only keeps it from excessive ‘play’ on the road, but also contributes to the safety of the occupants. After recent testing of the new model, Hyundai were recently awarded a five-star rating by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the US.Six airbags – including side curtain airbags - come as standard, as do seatbelt pre-tensioners.
Obviously fuel consumption tends to drift when you are being ‘enthusiastic’ with the Sonata, but once I’d become used to the various settings, keeping the figures close to 9l/100km on the daily commute proved easy – though Hyundai claim 8,2l is achievable.
With a 5 year/90 000km service plan, and 5 year/150 000km warranty part of the package, the Sonata is well-priced at R279990 for the GLS and R299990 for the Executive model.
It is a lot of car for the money, and the new Sonata will certainly make the traditional ‘ luxury saloon’ manufacturers sit up and take notice.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - L'escargot
Did you write that?
yep. about 1am on Monday morning!
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - Collos
Fortunatly it will not sell in europe no matter how good it is, like its predessors its a car you might occassionally see and worthless when three years old.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - Zero
I'll take one at three years old then.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - Collos
They are a good buy at three years old, main Ford agent in Leeds was selling pre reg units for £7k last year and couldn't sell them they went to a closed auction at Brighouse.
www.rethink-luxury.co.za/

Saw loads in the States.

www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/

The old one was a complete dog, wouldn't mind one of these on the drive tho.
Zero, I'm more than happy with the loaner, I must say.
And locally Avis have a load of them - expect some 40 000 km bargains soon!
iX has sold tremendously well here, and from chatting to Hyundai, they tell me the Sonata is already doing great sales after 2-3 weeks.
For the level of spec, it comes in at about 75-80% of the price of a 320i.
100 K free servicing and 150K warranty? Its a no-brainer if you are in the market for this sort of car.
Not keen on the speedo and rev counter being back to front....
>> Not keen on the speedo and rev counter being back to front....
>>
????
Not that i've noticed!
Maybe the mirrored a LHD picture?
Tacho on left, spinning clockwise from 0 upwards,
Speedo on right, ditto.
Yes - its a sloppy bit of photoshop
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - ....
Two points you could possibly clear up Ian:
1. The leather; does it feel like leather or has it been taken off a plastic cow?
2. The boot; you mention it's huge but I'm surprised there is no partition in the floor to divide the boot up into usable sections to save clambering in.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - Stuu
Funny but it seems that far eastern cars stop being sold here when they make a good one.

My sister has an aussie spec 2008 Toyota Camry and she thinks its superb.

I drove a 2007 diesel Sonata a while back and it wasnt half bad, excellent value used too.

Im not suprised the new model is better still, they are getting there now with the whole package rather than just the ownership bit.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai Sonata - Boxsterboy
>> My sister has an aussie spec 2008 Toyota Camry and she thinks its superb.
>>

Are you sure it isn't a Skoda? :-)
1) real cow.
2) just a great big flat floor, gmac. Howver, some cunningly-placed square 'eyes' for hooks etc. I suspect there will be a cargo net or divider package option available at some stage.
Latest Forum Posts