Motoring Discussion > One stretch of road, two speed limits. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 10

One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Badwolf
Morning to you all,

I regularly drive along the A673 between Adlington and Horwich during the course of my work (detail map here: tinyurl.com/35maj37 )

As you drive from Grimeford Village towards Horwich, there are 'NSL' signs (tinyurl.com/32gg4m6 ) but coming the other way - ie from Horwich - there are no 'NSL' signs, but instead there are '40' signs. Street View only shows that there are 'NSL' signs so I presume that the '40' limit is new as the repeater signs on the lamposts have been 'whited out'. However, the 'NSL' signs coming from Grimeford Village are still very much there.

So how can a road be 'NSL' in one direction and '40' in the other?

Last edited by: Badwolf on Wed 27 Oct 10 at 10:39
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Bromptonaut
I think there is a similar thing on the A45 as it rounds Wellyboro'.

Traffic approaching a roundabout is speed controlled, those exiting can accelerate straight to NSL - seemples.
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Iffy
...Traffic approaching a roundabout is speed controlled, those exiting can accelerate straight to NSL - seemples...

How would he know that, he's only a bus driver. :)

Badwolf:

Actually, I sympathise, I didn't know, either.

One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Badwolf
Cheeky blighter, Iffy :-)

I can see the sense of having a lower speed limit on one side of the road when approaching a junction, but in this instance the road is fairly straight for at least a mile with no hazards on the 'lower limit' side to explain it away. I'm still mystified.
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Stuartli
>>I'm still mystified.>

Perhaps the Technical Services department for the area is as inefficient as that of Sefton often proves.....
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Cliff Pope
I've seen this sometimes. NSL on leaving a village, long stretch of 40 mph restriction on approaching.
There is nothing inherently wrong with the practice, and arguably it makes sense and should be applied more commonly.
Where it breaks down is if you join from a side road. That would require a special sign on the approach to the T-junction saying 40 mph if you turn left, NSL right. The one I knew, until they made it 40 mph in both directions, had a side turn with no speed restriction notice. That meant, bizarrely, that the speed limit depended on where you had come from, and was apparently not the same for all vehicles even in the same direction.

It also has implications for pedestrians crossing the road, and anyone overtaking going in the 40 mph direction suddenly meeting 60 mph cars head on.
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - L'escargot
>> So how can a road be 'NSL' in one direction and '40' in the other?

Perhaps the limits each apply to one direction of travel. NSL in one direction, 40 mph in the other. Why not?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 27 Oct 10 at 13:49
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Bromptonaut
The bit of the A45 I have in mind is dualled so there's no joining traffic to complicate signage.
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
Had this in Chesterfield a few months ago. I think the signage was in transition but confusing while it lasted.
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - movilogo
>> So how can a road be 'NSL' in one direction and '40' in the other?

Some part of M4 around London has similar restriction. NSL when going away from London and 50 MPH when driving towards city.
 One stretch of road, two speed limits. - Routemaster
Actually sounds very sensible. There are often bit of dual carriageways exiting from town/cities that have unrealistic 40/50 mph speed limits, whereas in reality they could have NSL. Of course, it would reduce the speed camera cash take as these are popular spots from scamera vans - coming out of Hull going west coming to mind.

RM
Latest Forum Posts