Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 6

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - Dave
Am I just out of touch (been out of the country for 3 years), or are these holding their prices?

A friend wants a Discovery TD5, and doesn't care that it's RHD. They're very expensive here and very rare. I gave him the usual about crappy build, reliability, donkey engine etc, but he really likes them. Don't worry I say, you can get them cheap as chips back in blighty - no-one wants them anymore, always breaking down, silly fuel prices, road tax, chelsea tracktor, people giving you the finger etc.

Well blow me, had a look on Autotrader (are there any private sellers at all on there now?) and they're asking the thick end of 10K for a 2002/3 with 80-100k miles. I was always under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that you couldn't give the things away, but it seems they are holding their value pretty well. In fact , they seem to be out-pricing Landcruisers and the like.

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - Bellboy
theyve always achieved good bunce think they are horrible things myself but then again never owned one or wanted to
they are driven as balls on a bagatelle round my way by mainly pretend farmers and women with horse faces
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - -
Good selection on Ebay's classifieds, some around the 65/90k miles mark for 6.5 to 8 grand, Pistonheads might be worth a nose.

With the number of criminals out there trying to fleece sellers i'm not surprised people end up dealing with traders for some peace of mind.

Shortage of good Landcruisers especially Colorado's, hundreds of 'em gone by boat out of the country, never managed to land the LR badge thing though for whatever reasons despite being streets ahead in reliability and durability and powered by gutsy engines.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - Dave
He, yeah, I forgot that it was the UK and a criminal seems to lurk around every corner to catch the unwary, and not so unwary.

Mind you, when I say trader, I'm using the term losely. Most of them appear to be a back street garage selling from the side of the road. So not sure what sort of assurance they give.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - AnotherJohnH
>> Most of them appear to be a back street garage selling from the side of the road.
>> So not sure what sort of assurance they give.

Speaking from personal experience -

You can be assured they will cease trading under their current name, and pop back up trading as something else, if anything too difficult or expensive happens their way.

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - Gromit
Plenty middle-aged Discoverys and Range Rovers to be had in Ireland, if you're intending to export it anyway. Recent motoring slot on RTE radio suggested you should be able to pick up an 02-03 Range Rover in most dealerships for under 10,000 euro.

They've been hit by high road tax (€2k+) and the deeply unpopular preception that anyone seen driving one is an ex-property developer...

(GB: Much more demand, new or used, for Landcruisers here - over 50% of all 4x4s sold in Ireland are Toyotas...)
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Used 4x4 prices - -
Much more demand, new or used, for Landcruisers here - over 50% of all
>> 4x4s sold in Ireland are Toyotas...)
>>

We were down in Clare for a family funeral Gromit and couldn't help but notice that it appeared to be only Toyota's, mostly 5 door 3 litre LC's, not Amazons.

Off topic for a moment does Eire have similarly cheaper road tax for pick ups?, i seem to recall twin cabbed jobbies like mine not being given full commercial status, that only applying to single cabbed models.
Latest Forum Posts