Motoring Discussion > Copies of driving documents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 11

Copies of driving documents - Iffy
I wonder what the risks are if you let someone copy your licence and insurance documents?

My employers like to do this, and since they won't pay my expenses without recent photocopies, I don't argue.

But I don't see the value in the photocopies to them, it only proves everything was in order on the day they copied the documents.

In fact it proves less than that, because were I banned I could tell the court my licence was lost which would mean I'd have a nice clean one to show the people at work.

The reason for my query is I have little faith in our inhuman resources department keeping the copies safe.

They recently sent me a routine internal memo and also in the envelope was another employee's sicknote - oops.

So are driving licence and insurance details of any use to a criminal?

Copies of driving documents - Hard Cheese

>> But I don't see the value in the photocopies to them, it only proves everything
>> was in order on the day they copied the documents.
>>

Yes though it assists in their obligations under the health and safety at work act relating to employees who drive as part of their business.

Copies of driving documents - Bromptonaut
Iffy,

Don't get me started on the paperchase that is this organisation's driving (or for that matter cycling) at work policy. If I managed debt collectors doing rounds by car, or sent staff out to relieve at branches and put them under pressure to be there quick, I can see there is a risk that needs managing. The people I pay expenses for drive a handful of miles to the station in order to attend meetings every few weeks.

I suppose DL details could be used in support of 'identity theft' and I'd certainly expect records to be kept under lock and key. Apart from anything else some people get quite sniffy about colleagues having access to their home addresses. Perhaps with reason bearing in mind I once had to interview a male member of staff over allegations of calls to a female colleague's home number!!

But I don't think I'm going to add theft of DL copies to my risk register!!

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 8 Nov 10 at 13:17
 Copies of driving documents - TheManWithNoName
Where I work, they are now checking that anyone who drives for the company is insured correclty (including occasional business use) and has a licence.

I suppose its all to do with corporate manslaughter laws and your employer having a duty of care etc, etc.

Saying that, you are well within your rights to ensure they are keeping the data secure, purely for the purpose it was provided for and retained for no longer than necessary.
The Data Protection Act will govern that.
 Copies of driving documents - sherlock47
Why worry about copies of your documents when there are sites like this! www.fakeutilitys.com/id28.html

Last edited by: pmh on Mon 8 Nov 10 at 13:27
 Copies of driving documents - Iffy
...Why worry about copies of your documents when there are sites like this...

Didn't realise I was sat on an asset.

Seventy quid a pop, there's money to be made.

My employers probably wholesale to the site. :)

Copies of driving documents - Bromptonaut
>> Where I work, they are now checking that anyone who drives for the company is
>> insured correclty (including occasional business use) and has a licence.
>>
>> I suppose its all to do with corporate manslaughter laws and your employer having a
>> duty of care etc, etc.

Same checks and rationale here. Address on DL must be confirmed as matching home address on HR records else further inquiries required.
 Copies of driving documents - Fullchat
Employers must take all reasonable steps to ensure that their employees have a current licence with all the entitlements likewise valid business insurance coverage and MOT.

They would have a defence against any claims against them or interviews in respect of Using, Causing or Permitting use of a vehicle whilst on company as they had taken all reasonable steps and had sight of those documents. A photocopy corroborates that fact.
 Copies of driving documents - Skoda
>> I wonder what the risks are if you let someone copy your licence and insurance documents?

With a photocopy of the insurance docco, i can't think of many attacks other than send it back to the insurance company (provided it's a half decent quality copy) to terminate your insurance, you'd know as soon as the insurance company fired out a letter with "sorry you are leaving" though, but it might be enough to cause some inconvenience to you.

I wonder if the attacker could cause them to change your address, then terminate your insurance in round #2 with the freshly issued certificate, but i doubt it because change of address == change of premium and i'm pretty sure they have to advise you before they process a charge on your card.

The licence photocopy, i can't think of anything other than talking someone into taking a photocopy as proof for something. Can't really see that flying.

EDIT: i guess someone who came across it could decide to pursue you as a target, the licence photocopy might come in handy for cracking your reset password questions on your email. Your email address would probably be found via facebook or something like that. Even if you hide it, the attacker just creates a new profile with an attractive photo and asks to become your friend.
Last edited by: Skoda on Mon 8 Nov 10 at 20:48
 Copies of driving documents - Bagpuss
I've had 2 examples of mistaken identity.

One was a meeting with the manager of my high street bank in the UK, when I applied for a mortgage. The customer file was lying on the desk in front of the bank manager. The numbers didn't add up, even upside down.
"How's the divorce going Mr Bagpuss?" asked the bank manager.
"I'm not married", I replied.
"That's the spirit", he said, laughing, "how are the children?"
"Er, I think you're confusing me with someone, I've never been married and I don't have children".
"Oh", he said, looking worried. What's your date of birth?"
He rushed out of the office and returned carrying another customer file. Moral - never confuse anyone in banking with unnecessary complexity, like the fact that different customers can have the same name.

The other occasion was when working for a multi-national company. I received an e-mail from the HR department with the results of the personnel review for "Mr Bagpuss". I opened it and was bemused to see my annual salary listed. It was similar to what I actually got paid, except there was an additional zero at the end. Of course there was a board member who was also called "Mr Bagpuss". I sent an e-mail to the HR department pointing out their mistake. Within 5 minutes someone phoned me up.
"Did you open the mail?" asked someone nervously.
"Of course I did."
"You're not allowed to do that, it wasn't addressed to you."
"Well you didn't encrypt the mail. Don't you have personnel guidelines?"
"What do you mean, encrypt the mail?"

This is a long winded way of saying to the OP, yes I share your lack of the faith in your HR department keeping copies of important information safe.
 Copies of driving documents - Falkirk Bairn
You drive your car from point A to Point B on company business - company pays you mileage allowance/ On the way back you hit another car. It is then found your licence has expired, as such you have no insurance cover.

3rd party is looking for recompense - travelling on company business? then your company asked you or encouraged you to go from point a to b and they did not check you had a licence?

Your company can be held responsible..................
Your company says they checked your licence and insurance regularly then they have no case to answer as they had done their "a duty of care".

Previous employer - colleague is found guilty of drink driving in his own private car, does not tell company and continues to drive company car..............driver stopped for minor offence and company is then told of his ban................employee sacked and local manager warned about not checking licence details of staff at least 1 x per year.
 Copies of driving documents - bathtub tom
I had a call from personnel (I refuse to call them HR).

"We need to check your address for CSA".

"If you're personnel you know it".

After a while I thought about this and contacted personnel, who refused to disclose any details, so I escalated it to a very high level (they weren't pleased). I informed them that they'd made a serious mistake. I explained I could understand they didn't believe me, but they should do a thorough check. I told them in 24 hours I'd escalate it through my union.

I told SWMBO and kids. The latter were excited about finding relatives!

A high-level manager called me back to apologise, profusely. I told them I now had personal information on the only other in the company with my surname, the line went very quiet.

Latest Forum Posts