Motoring Discussion > Bye CR-V, hello… Miscellaneous
Thread Author: andyfr Replies: 3

Bye CR-V, hello… - andyfr
Three years ago we bought a new CR-V and I have to say it was a good car. The only problems were the rear diff making a “groaning” noise, this was sorted by changing the diff oil for a different spec. All four alloys started to bubble so were replaced. The worst problem was the battery going flat. This was last winter and the ECU didn’t shut down the electrics so there was a constant drain, after three days it wouldn’t even turn over. This was sorted with a software update. All the above were done without question under warranty.

It was very comfortable, even long journeys were done without any aches or pains. The economy was good, averaging over 40MPG during the 22,000 we covered.

So if it was so good why did we change? Well we live in the Highlands, down a single track road and have a long steep drive, we also get a lot of snow every year without fail. The CR-V just wasn’t as good in the snow as the Freelanders we had before. Also it was a victim of its own success as it had held on to a high proportion of its value so the price to change was very good.

So what did we get? Well we went for a 2011my Freelander GS auto. It’s the facelift model so not only does the front end look better IMHO but the engine is more economical and the emissions are lower than the previous model. Although we have had it over a month we haven’t been very far as we have been too busy doing things around the house, but first impressions are very good. It is very quiet and smooth and the auto box is exceptional. We have a long trip coming up so will be able to give it a good run then.
 Bye CR-V, hello… - Skoda
Congratulations on the new car, very nice!

Bye CR-V, hello… - -
Hope the new motor gives good service AF, was the CRV auto Diesel by the way, if so how does the box compare.

EDIT, i wonder if better more all weather tyres would have made the difference?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 22:15
 Bye CR-V, hello… - andyfr
When we got the CR-V they didn't do an auto box but the reviews I have seen on it say that it's not as good as expected these days. The manual box was really good though.

It's possible that winter tyres may have helped a little but the main problem we have is with the depth of snow. As it's a single track dead end road the snow plough only comes down a couple of times a week if we are lucky. The Freelander has a better ground clearance than the CR-V.
Latest Forum Posts