Motoring Discussion > Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 9

Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Fenlander
Just reading up on this new to Citroen system. Things really are heading into the realms of science fiction...

The eTouch system is able to make SOS calls with an integrated SIM card and GPS system. In the event of an accident, the eTouch system sends the location of your car to the Citroen Urgence call centre. Once connected you'll be put through to an operator who will assess your situation, give you advice, or call the emergency services.

In the event of a serious accident where the vehicle suffers severe deceleration and the airbags are deployed the car takes matters into its own hands. It sends an SMS to the Citroen call centre giving the exact location and time of impact as well as the last ten known positions of the vehicle to establish the direction of travel. The system then establishes a voice connection between the car and call centre.

If the occupants are unconscious or unable to respond the call centre notifies the emergency services providing information about the location of the accident and what type of car you're driving.

Citroen says the eTouch system is designed primarily to assist drivers who are involved in serious and potentially fatal accidents that occur in remote areas where there may be nobody around to call for help.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 12:22
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Bromptonaut
Obviously a leap forward but remote areas are those least likley to have GSM coverage.
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Skoda
I got a chuckle at the videos of the guys on youtube with their Chevvy Camaros on the 1/4 mile drag strip -- at the end of the run a worried sounding operator chimes in over the handsfree -- the GM OnStar system thinks because of the G-forces the cars been in an accident.
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Bagpuss
My BMW has this system. It also has a button next to the interior light to manually request assistance. The button is under a cover in order to prevent it being pressed accidently.

In the US, GM cars have a similar system called OnStar, except it works without a SIM card. I'd never heard of it before and ended up one time with a rental car with a big blue tempting looking button at the bottom of the rear view mirror. Out of curiosity I pressed the button and within seconds a woman's voice asked me out of the depths of the audio system if I needed an ambulance. A bit shocked I said no, and was told not to press the button again as the car's details had been logged by OnStar and I would end up incurring the costs of a hoax emergency call.
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - R.P.
My BMW has this system. It also has a button next to the interior light to manually request assistance. The button is under a cover in order to prevent it being pressed accidently.

It has a certain "press me" quality about it - Bit like a bomb release button on a B52...
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 13:51
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Bagpuss
>> It has a certain "press me" quality about it - Bit like a bomb release button on a B52...

I'd actually mentally pictured the US President with his finger hovering over a similar button, ready to launch the ICBMs. Like in (I think?) Dr. Strangelove.
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Redviper
>>
>> In the US, GM cars have a similar system called OnStar,

Can Even help you find a resteraunt apparently

Extract from
auto.howstuffworks.com/onstar1.htm

"Most people still associate OnStar with emergencies, but today's OnStar offers a host of services, from helping you find a good local restaurant to giving you the latest stock quotes. "

Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Fenlander
Yep I noticed in the detail of the Citroen system it gives you a sort of web access to more routine information related to the car and associated matters.

BTW I wonder if there is a disable switch if you need to have an accident and don't want to be found?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 14:23
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - Runfer D'Hills
Makes you wonder if it calls home on the quiet. "Tell you what boys, if this plank brings me in for a warranty claim don't believe a word he says....drives like a complete...." Oh and, "Hey, you'll never guess what he's up to in here now, if that's his secretary they must be a very friendly company.."

:-)
 Citroen - Citroen eTouch emergency call system. - R.P.
or "Hey look, he's off to that expensive bike shop. I'm phoning his wife"
Latest Forum Posts