Motoring Discussion > Thanks, but did you really have to...? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 28

Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Runfer D'Hills
My sister-in-law's husband, ( I still want to call him my brother-in-law despite you lot ) drove my Mondeo today as a favour to me. Ten miles tops. I'm tall enough but he is one big son-of-a-gun. In the process, he had to move the seat back, fair enough, he had to move the mirrors, fair enough. But, why did he have to re-set the climate control, change the radio station, alter the direction of all the vents, turn down the rheostat on the dash lights, adjust the lumbar support, leave the heated seats on and move the rake and reach of the steering wheel ? Why eh ?.....

What's more he ate crisps in there I know he did. There's evidence you know. Salt and crumbs. If there's one thing I can't stand in a car it's salt and crumbs..

Took me the journey back to get it all back where I like it. It's still not right. Now of course "she'll" mess with it all again in the morning...

There that's better now !

Carry on....
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - FotheringtonTomas
Don't you just have to press a button and everything re-sets to your stored spec.?
No, but I bet there'll be someone along in a bit who has got one. Good for them I say, good for them...

:-)
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - R.P.
....an a nice little FoMoCo battery powered vacuum cleaner..
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Zero
lend him your bike.
I'd rather lend him my.....no maybe not, he'd move the seat on that too.....

Reminds me of when we had a right dude working with us - you know the sort, informal to the point of ignorance, backward facing baseball cap type......anyway one day he had a "migraine" and wanted to go home, trouble was he couldn't drive his chavved up 106 so someone gave him a lift on the understanding I drove his car home later. Horrible thing with the radio tuned to some crackly pirate FM station at full volume....so what I did was re-tune all his presets to Radio 4 and just before dropping it off leave the radio at full volume....made me feel better
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - BobbyG
Humph are you trying to say that when you sit in a strange car you don't have a fiddle with all the controls and see whats what????

Must admit I hate people moving the seat. The works Transit has a variety of drivers and I always need to adjust it, both for reach and for height.

I can drive my missus' car without adjusting anything, OK its not the comfiest but I can make do but any time she drives mine everything is adjusted. Grr
I once left an ungutted mackerel and a cricket ball under the spare wheel in a car I had borrowed. It belonged to a friend but he deserved it. Oh yes indeedy he deserved it...

Took him about a month to trace the clunk and the smell...

Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Bellboy
interestingly i sometimes tune all stations of a car radio to classic or to galaxy depending on the customers attitude prior sale and subsequent collection
havent done the prawns in congealed places for years though
i must be getting soft
I knew a girl who had a shoe shop. If a customer upset her she used to try the shoes on herself in the stockroom first before bringing them out for the customer to try on if she had a verrucca or athlete's foot that day...She later sold the shop and re-trained as a solicitor..... appropos of nothing really.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 20:53
unlike the prawns...BB
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 20:55
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - MD
Inside a curtain rail.
As told by an old acquaintance.
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Skoda
>> or to galaxy

What's wrong with galaxy?! :-)

There's a radio station somewhere, or there was, called "The Wolf". That cracked me up. It was on the dashboard display when i first turned the key on my wee corsa a few years ago on uncle arnold's forecourt.

Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Jacks

>> havent done the prawns in congealed places for years though
>>

I knew a Sales Rep a few years ago who was fired by his company (unfairly he thought) and after conferring with his BiL (a used car dealer) he was advised to carefully peel the front carpet back and pour a pint of milk into the thick underfelt, & wait for it to dry before refitting the carpet.
Only then - said the UCD - was he to return the company Granada Ghia.

The SR told me the only way he could drive it back was by having all the windows open and his head half out of thw window.

He heard later from ex-colleagues that nobody could drive the car without feeling sick and they eventually sold it early at a big loss.

Well it made him feel better

J
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - spamcan61
>> Horrible thing with the radio tuned to some crackly pirate FM station
>> at full volume....so what I did was re-tune all his presets to Radio 4 and
>> just before dropping it off leave the radio at full volume....made me feel better
>>

For full effect switch Traffic Announcements on and make sure the TA volume is cranked right up.
His blinkity blink blingy radio was far too difficult to figure out, buttons designed for a stiletto fingered dwarf. BTW Radio 4 is ever so hip listened to an interview with the "DJ" TinyTemper tonight...
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - corax
>> My sister-in-law's husband, ( I still want to call him my brother-in-law despite you lot
>> ) drove my Mondeo today as a favour to me. Ten miles tops. I'm tall
>> enough but he is one big son-of-a-gun. In the process, he had to move the
>> seat back, fair enough, he had to move the mirrors, fair enough. But, why did
>> he have to re-set the climate control, change the radio station, alter the direction of
>> all the vents, turn down the rheostat on the dash lights, adjust the lumbar support,
>> leave the heated seats on and move the rake and reach of the steering wheel
>> ? Why eh ?.....

Maybe because he's a different person.
Perhaps he likes cold air, not tepid air.
Perhaps he likes Radio 4 not Radio 2.
Perhaps he likes air in la visage, not the feet (can't remember French for feet)
Perhaps he likes dim lighting.
Perhaps he's got a different shaped back.
Just a thought :-)
I admit though leaving the heated seats on is plain irritating, and he should be lashed if possible.

>> What's more he ate crisps in there I know he did. There's evidence you know.
>> Salt and crumbs. If there's one thing I can't stand in a car it's salt
>> and crumbs..

Get him to hoover out the car then :-)

Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Ted

SWMBO never, ever thinks to move the seat back or move her booster cushion when she gets out of the Note.
She's a petite 5' 1" whilst I am a manly and attractive 5' 10".
So first iI have to unhook the cushion and chuck it onto the passenger seat where it usually bounces off and falls in the footwell. Then I have to try and squeeze myself in so I can get at the seat adjuster so I can actually get in.
If she just pushed it back when she vacated then we'd both have better access.

I haven't mentioned it, I don't want to start a fight !

Ted
Much the same here Old Hand.
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - Cliff Pope
Standard practice I think.
My wife leaves my car with the mirrors out of adjustment, seat heaters on, fan blower turned on full but the heating off, and radio pre-set on R2 at full volume.

But she has learned how to fill up with petrol, so I am not complaining.
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - FocalPoint
"Perhaps he likes air in la visage, not the feet (can't remember French for feet)"

Should be "le visage". The French for feet is "les pieds".

You probably didn't want to know that. :-)
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - bathtub tom
>>The French for feet is "les pieds".

I thought they were metric.
Metric feet, you mean?
>> Should be "le visage". The French for feet is "les pieds".
>>
>> You probably didn't want to know that. :-)

Not at all, I could always do with a little re-education in French :-)

So, perhaps he likes air dans le visage, ne pas les pieds.

Is that right?
Not really. "Dans le visage" doesn't really work, in that "dans" implies being inside something. "Ne pas" seems odd, too. I suggest: "au visage, pas aux pieds".

Please would a native speaker correct me if I'm wrong.
>> Not really. "Dans le visage" doesn't really work, in that "dans" implies being inside something.
>> "Ne pas" seems odd, too. I suggest: "au visage, pas aux pieds".
>>
>> Please would a native speaker correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure any native speaker would be laughing their socks off by now. My grip of the French language however, isn't so amusing, it's quite sad.

Think I'll stop now before I dig myself deeper...
 Thanks, but did you really have to...? - zookeeper
Maybe he just likes pushing your butons :}
Latest Forum Posts