Motoring Discussion > Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 7

Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover - nice but dim
Not a problem but a thought of mine. The current car I have (Mazda 626 2.0 petrol) refuses to move on level ground with the release of the clutch at tickover. The rev counter just drops and tries to stall which is frustrating in heavy traffic and I'm forced to continually rev the engine to move forward. Contrast that to my last car (Audi 80 also 2.0 petrol) that was almost unstoppable in 1st and 2nd gear even up mild hills at tickover and could even pull away in top gear with a few revs, almost diesel like at slow speeds but pathetic over 40! It was a joy to be sat in traffic in that car.

Does anyone else notice this?
 Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover - madf
That's why I drive diesels... abiliy to travel at zero throttle in traffic...
I might add that the first two gears ratios on the current car are shorter than previous car too!
Last edited by: nice but dim on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 20:19
 Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover - Stuu
My Espero has no issues creeping in the lower gears. With careful clutch work it will get up to 15 mph in 3rd with zero throttle.
I imagine more modern cars have certain ECU set-ups which are to blame.
 Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover - Skoda
Is the car definitely ok?

When you turn on the the rear screen demister, you can normally hear the ECU raising the revs because it's detected a load on the crank -- the torque to meet the increased mechanical load of the alternator (because the EMR / regulator inside the alternator bumps up the current through the coils, making each turn of the alternator produce more current for this input RPM -- also meaning it's harder to turn the alternator).

I'd expect the ECU to increase the revs, to a point (maybe only 100-200rpm i guess) in response to the clutch.

It's possible i guess that the engine just doesn't produce enough torque at that speed to shift the weight.

it drives fine when moving, although not rapid moves at a fair pace. You have a good point, i feels like a weak idle, any electric demands at idle just drag the idle lower and it doesnt compensate upwards. The battery gets a charge and in the recent cold spell turns over instantly. I might add it fares better at cold but it does fast idle for a few mins
 Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover - Skoda
Have these got an idle control valve that could gum up or something like that?

The only thing i remember about the 626 is the 2.0 petrol's a non interferance engine i think, no major cambelt worries, nice :-)
 Mazda 626 - Movability at tickover - MD
>> That's why I drive diesels... abiliy to travel at zero throttle in traffic...
>>
ZERO THROTTLE!
Latest Forum Posts