Motoring Discussion > 10 crazy car insurance claims Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 3

10 crazy car insurance claims - VxFan
The following are ten of the crazier, more comical car insurance claims received by AA in recent years

Source:- tinyurl.com/yfjk8so - links to www.aboutmyarea.co.uk

1. Taxi trouble

When bad weather caused havoc on the roads of Britain this winter, one AA customer thought it would be safer to call a taxi than drive his own car to the station in snowy conditions. However he probably wished he had not bothered as, ironically, when the taxi pulled up outside his house it skidded and crashed into his parked car.

2. A lovers tiff

One customer had a heated argument with his girlfriend about whether it was safe for her to drive to work in the snow. In the end she stormed off, went on her way and he followed a short while later. Unfortunately, as he approached a set of red traffic lights, he skidded and collided with the rear of the car in front, which in turn hit the car in front of that.

And who happened to be in the third car? None other than the very girlfriend he had advised not to drive earlier that morning. The details do not record whether the claim was settled amicably or not!

3. Good cop car

One customer was surprised to learn his car had helped the police prevent a robbery of a jewellery store in a town some miles away. The thieves had stolen his Land Rover to ram the roller shutter doors of a small shopping arcade where the jewellers was located.

However, not content to be an accessory in a robbery (and perhaps a cop car in a former life), the clever car ensured it got caught on the roller shutter, flipped itself onto its back end and wedged itself tightly in the entrance to the store. This meant the thieves were trapped like canned sardines and could do nothing but wait for the police to arrive.

4. Something rather sheepish

Another customer driving home from the pub with a friend had the fright of his life when there was an enormous thump on the roof of his car, which caved in bumping both companions on the head. The pair got out of the car just in time to see a sheep slide down the windscreen, spring on to the car bonnet and run off down the road. The sheep, it later transpired, had escaped from a transporter on the motorway that was involved in a collision

5. Doggy drivers

When one customer stopped his van on the side of the road to pop into his local shop and buy a newspaper, he did not expect to come out seconds later and find both his van, and the dog inside it, gone without a trace. When he asked bystanders if they had seen anything, one man remarked that he had seen a "large dog driving a van down the road".

Somehow the dog's lead had wound itself around the gear lever and had released it. Fortunately, the van was stopped in its descent by another vehicle parked further down the hill.

6. Bad balance

One unlucky lady who was driving through woodland in her open soft-top car received a nasty shock when a squirrel suddenly fell out of a tree above and into her car. In its panic to escape, the squirrel scampered over her in the car causing her to run off the road into a tree. Unwilling to hang around and make a witness statement, the uncoordinated squirrel shot up a nearby tree and vanished.

7. Toilet trouble

One motorist was left rather red faced when, after stopping in the woods late one night to "relieve himself", he emerged from behind a tree to find his car had gone. In a panic he called the police and his insurer to report the theft and his Dad who came to rescue him. But the night was not over yet!

During the short journey home with his Dad the car managed to break down, forcing them to call for assistance. Later, when father and son poured out the events of the night to the AA Patrolman, he became puzzled by the fact that although the chap was only about 20 feet from his car he did not hear it start up. Acting on a hunch, they all returned to the "scene of the crime" only to find wheel tracks disappearing down a grass bank where his car was waiting patiently at the bottom.

Oh, so that is what the handbrake is for...

8. You snooze, you lose

When one customer parked his camper van on the beach to enjoy the view and a nice nap, he certainly did not expect to wake up to find his feet wet and someone in a boat banging on the window to rescue him. The tide had come in while he was asleep, and although he was safely rescued, the van sank without a trace.

9. Off your trolley

Another unfortunate lady calmly informed AA that her bonnet had been badly damaged after "several airborne shopping trolleys came flying towards her". The offending trolleys had apparently fallen off the back of a delivery lorry.

10. Two in one

This final story apparently had the AA call centre in stitches. Two drivers tried to turn into a parking space at the same time and got jammed against cars on either side. Stuck fast and unable to open the doors, the fire brigade had to rescue them - while an audience of about a hundred people stood around laughing at them. Luckily they saw the funny side too!
 10 crazy car insurance claims - BiggerBadderDave
Number two made me laugh because I kind of did a similar thing with my ex-wife when I turned into our street one evening to find her positioning herself to reverse into the space outside our house. Knowing that it would take her 20-25 mins to find reverse, I thought it would be amusing to nip into the space myself, go inside and put the kettle on. However, against all odds, she found reverse straight away and we collided shattering her rear bumper and my indicator lamps.

How happy was she? Not very.
 10 crazy car insurance claims - L'escargot
>> When bad weather caused havoc on the roads of Britain this winter one AA customer
>> thought it would be safer to call a taxi than drive his own car to
>> the station in snowy conditions. However he probably wished he had not bothered as ironically
>> when the taxi pulled up outside his house it skidded and crashed into his parked
>> car.

More fool him for leaving his car on the road when there was snow. I learned my lesson in about 1980 when my 12 month-old car was parked outside a friend's house. A heavy ground frost developed in late afternoon and my car was hit by a skidding passing car. The repair cost was 50% of the value of the car and it took 11 weeks. Now I only ever park on the road as a very very last resort.
 10 crazy car insurance claims - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> More fool him for leaving his car on the road when there was snow.

I'm terribly sorry, sir, but I'm afraid I may have to leave my car on your road occasionally since - quite appallingly, I might add - the house I'm renting at the moment doesn't have off-road parking.

As I said, I do most humbly apologise in the unfortunate event that you find yourself having to maneuverer around my vehicle and I'm tormented by visions of my own inconsideration.
Latest Forum Posts