Motoring Discussion > Any Engineers here? Watch this video. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 13

Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Bigtee
www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/nextengines-3d-scanner/944641/

The above link is a cracking piece of kit American and used in restoration shops in the states and aircraft restorations to make new parts.

What do you think & have you seen them here in the uk?
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Tigger
My dentist has a fabulous 3D scanner/fabricator which he uses for making crowns.

He takes a scan of the tooth before starting, then another one of the tooth when he's finished cutting away - the machine then makes the crown with one set of the measurements for the inside, the other for the outside - result is close to a perfect crown.
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Skoda
The 3D printers are quite popular, you can make your own too -- there's a few (relatively) easy to build, free plans for decent ones knocking about. Around £100 in parts.

It wont print all the moving parts in place like the one in the video though, that's the first i've seen that, seriously cool.

They're popular in the RC model making community, 3D printers and home made CNC milling machines out of up turned dremels and a couple of servos. With those and a copy of Google sketchup 3D drawing app (and a wee script that spits out G-code, fairly standard CNC machine instructions) you can make some seriously impressive planes, and quite cheaply too.

Home made CNC laser cutters are just starting to become affordable but you get no second chances with a class 4 laser...
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Ted

Similar technology from manufacturers of model railway items.

They 3D scan a full sized locomotive and reduce it all down to the scale required.

They must use some sort of hand held scanner...it would be hard to get a Coronation Pacific in the box !

Ted
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Bigtee
Anyone got a link to these scanners please?
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - spamcan61
>> Anyone got a link to these scanners please?
>>
Judging by the photos in the model railway press Dapol used a system similar to this one to scan a 1:1 scale 'Thumper':-

machinedesign.com/article/mini-3d-laser-scanner-sees-big-picture-1020

I think they used a gantry based system to scan the prototype Deltic at the NRM, but I can't find any photos.
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Iffy
...Anyone got a link to these scanners please?...

The guy mentions a couple of websites at the end of the video.

Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - spamcan61
Some more data on scanning systems for big stuff here:-

www.99ranch.com/img/img.php?q=3d-laser-scanning.html
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - jc2
Our company has this sort of equipment more than twenty years ago-our patternshop had a mechanical version in the 1950's.
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Bagpuss
As the guy in the video says, the most amazing thing about this technology is how cheap it has become. 3D printing and selective laser sintering are actually commonly used in the car industry to quickly build working prototypes of subassemblies. It's amazing when you see it action producing a complex object with moving parts such as a gearbox. Some of them can produce an object directly in metal, takes a while though. I've never seen 3D scanners that small and cheap.
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - R.P.
Well impressed with that printer thing....well impressed...
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - henry k
I was well impressed with the video that auto followed on.
Re long life disks.
 Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - Alastairw
Would they go with these brake hoses Henry:

kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Any Engineers here? Watch this video. - henry k
Nah Wrong colour.

kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=48
looks interesting .
Latest Forum Posts