Motoring Discussion > Guess the car!!!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Enoughalready Replies: 29

Guess the car!!!! - Enoughalready
On a recent trip to Bosnia I came across this...
tinyurl.com/3xzt8or
tinyurl.com/3a2gd4t

It's in daily use and the owner told me what it was but for a bit of fun anyone want to hazard a guess?
 Guess the car!!!! - R.P.
Wartbug Knight..?
 Guess the car!!!! - RattleandSmoke
Saw plenty of those when I was in Berlin, they tended to more modern late 80's examples though and probably were not two stroke.
 Guess the car!!!! - Clk Sec
>>Wartbug Knight..?

I would say so...
 Guess the car!!!! - helicopter
Looks like the spawn of a threesome between a Yugo , a Lada and a Trabant .......
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 00:52
 Guess the car!!!! - Fenlander
Yep it's a Wartburg Knight for sure. Remember Dad test driving a new one at the dealers as a second car back in the 70s. We were let out on our own and returned to the showroom laughing saying to the sales guy that's nothing like a real car is it and walked away shaking our heads.
 Guess the car!!!! - Iffy
My guess is also Wartburg Knight, although I see it's the de-badged Q-car version.

Guess the car!!!! - Armel Coussine
Yes, it's a Wartburg. 3-cylinder 2-stroke I think.
Well done all. I was told by the owner it was a 1973 Varburg manufactured in Dresden! Probably translation issues as Varburg and Wartburg knight throw up the same looking cars in Google images.

You get quite a few older cars (owned by older gents) out there with shops in the back - it's amazing the services they can provide from the back of a car. This is in stark contrast to the younger generation who all seem to be driving around in the latest BMW X6's etc..
 Guess the car!!!! - Runfer D'Hills
"W" is pronounced as we would pronounce "V" in many other languages. "V" is pronounced more like an "F". EG "Volkswagen" ins correctly or at least pnonetically correctly pronounced "Folksvagen".

So it probably is a (V)Wartburg !
 Guess the car!!!! - hawkeye
You've got to wonder what he tows with it. Brave chap. No engine braking and 2-stroke oil all over the front of the trailer.
 Guess the car!!!! - Dog
>>it's amazing the services they can provide from the back of a car<<

Ooo, you are awful ;}
 Guess the car!!!! - Zero
>> My guess is also Wartburg Knight, although I see it's the de-badged Q-car version.

The badges fell off. Lots of things dropped off Wartburgs.
 Guess the car!!!! - Skoda
Is it not a Fiat 128? There were a few of those in Poland kept going.

EDIT>> Nah i guess not :-)
Last edited by: Skoda on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 14:45
 Guess the car!!!! - R.P.
Haven't BMW or VW bought the rights to the name now ? I seem to recall particularly pretty sports car at some show or other ?
 Guess the car!!!! - R.P.
robson.m3rlin.org/cars/wartburg-concept

Ah it was Opel maybe on ice pending better days.
 Guess the car!!!! - Old Navy
>> robson.m3rlin.org/cars/wartburg-concept
>>
>> Ah it was Opel maybe on ice pending better days.
>>

Looks like an Insignia. Same designer?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 15:23
Thought I'd continue with another..

What's this? tinyurl.com/2u7l4kp

Nowt to do with me but still a strange car
 Guess the car!!!! - Zero
Perhaps its a Toyota Will?
'Perhaps its a Toyota Will?'

Yep! Well done
Blast, I know nothing. Will have to resort to posting parts of a car ;)
 Guess the car!!!! - borasport
Styled on the old AC Invacar by the look of it
 Guess the car!!!! - Zero
they bolted two together side by side
Little bit 2CVish no?
 Guess the car!!!! - Bagpuss
>> Ah it was Opel maybe on ice pending better days.

I think Opel didn't in the end buy the rights to the name Wartburg as the Wartburg Trust who own the rights to the name were asking for too much money for it. Opel did buy the old Eisenach factory where Wartburgs used to be made in the early 90s. Up until the Soviet occupation of East Germany the factory actually belonged to BMW.
 Guess the car!!!! - Mike Hannon
Almost alone in the population of the Western world, I actually OWNED a Wartburg Knight. It was unreliable but a hoot to drive and I remember it with affection. NYB160E I bet you've made a few baked bean tins by now.
If I found one now I would be tempted.
A couple of months ago there was, remarkably, an article in Gazoline - a bit like Practical Classics in France - about the former motor factory at Eisenach, in the former German Democratic Republic, in the shadow of the local schloss, known as the Wartburg. All very interesting and it seems that most of what the advertising blurb said years ago about the company's history was true. The first car was assembled there before 1900 and the last was apparently an Opel Vectra. Apparently the workforce wouldn't countenance a takeover by VW but accepted GM. The place is now an unlikely motor museum.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 10:28
 Guess the car!!!! - John Mathews
Lol it looks more like a clothing store then a car. :D
 Guess the car!!!! - MD
Wartburg(er) McDonalds do 'em.
 Guess the car!!!! - Mike Hannon
By a remarkable coincidence an old friend yesterday emailed me a photo I didn't know existed, featuring a group of us at college in about 1968. - and my Wartburg. Made my day. Now people will have to believe me.
 Guess the car!!!! - Dave_
The Wartburg Kombi (estate) had the rear lights mounted entirely on the tailgate, so that when it was opened they couldn't be seen from the rear. Extra red lights were mounted inside the boot aperture to compensate for this.

Audi copied this feature on the Q7 :)
 Guess the car!!!! - Alanovich
On my regular trips to points ex-Yugo, I frequently see interesting old relics like this.

I have learnt not to take photos without permission, and not to point at the vehicle with an expression of delight and amusement, as the owners can take it as though you are taking the mickey out of them. The OP seems to have taken the correct approach in his dealings with this Wartburg owner.

Many locals do not understand that the hateful old wreck which they can not afford to replace can be the object of someone else's admiration and interest.

These sort of motors are now fast disappearing at an accelerated rate in recent years, due to the introduction of such innovations as finance and stolen second hand VWs and Renaults from Western Europe.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 11:13
Latest Forum Posts