Motoring Discussion > Multi car insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 26

Multi car insurance - Pat

Has anyone any experience of this and will it fit what I'm looking for?

The insurance for the CRV is due to be renewed late this month. I find that I have a need to insure another car for just a couple of months, would this be the best way to do it?

Pat
 Multi car insurance - wilco
Admiral multi-car works well. But if you only need to insure car number 2 for a short period it's probably better just to arrange short term cover for that?

This could be over in Motoring I'm sure ?! it is now
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 12:33
 Multi car insurance - mikeyb
Pat - I'm not sure it will work for you. When I lloked at doing it with mine and my partners car they align the dates so if car 1 is due now, and car 2 in 3 months they pro-rata the premium to give you a figure for the two cars which will run out together. Now I suspect that if you try to remove one car after a period of time you may have to cancel the whole policy, or face a massive surcharge.

I would look for a temporary cover type arangement - a good proper broker might be the right route for this
 Multi car insurance - Skoda
I don't know if it's intentional, a mistake or just my misunderstanding of how no claims bonus works, but took an admiral multi car policy for both the BMW and the Skoda and they applied my single no claims to both cars.

I thought that was really fair, and they genuinely seem to have knocked a whack off the price for doing multicar.

It might work out cheap enough to put the 2nd car on and cut your losses / give up the refund when you need to take it off again.
Thanks Mikey and Skoda, I'll have a look at them over the weekend and also see what charges are involved.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 15:54
 Multi car insurance - Ted

I'm going to look at Admiral multicar when mine come up in July.

I mentioned short term cover to Pat in another conversation, I think some will give you a weeks cover...but neither of us were sure whether the DVLA will accept this to tax a car...anyone know ?

Ted
 Multi car insurance - mikeyb
Valid point Ted - I dont know the answer. Think this requires some homework on checking what the admin charges are on different policys
 Multi car insurance - Alastairw
Any form of insurance is enough to tax the car. When I bought the Octy it had one weeks free insurance with Aviva, which was good enough for the dealer to get it taxed before I picked it up.
I think most Dealers have their own insurance that can be used to tax cars, we always pick ours up with a new tax disc on it and have never provided insurance for that.

Pat
 Multi car insurance - Falkirk Bairn
>> I think most Dealers have their own insurance that can be used to tax cars,
>> we always pick ours up with a new tax disc on it and have never
>> provided insurance for that.

Car has to registered with same name as insurance certificate.

Dealer dodge is if they have RFL blanks (common in larger delears I believe, save queues) they just issue their own RFL irrespective of who is registered owner.
Thanks FB, that's a useful bit of information

I'm sure Ted won't mind so I'm going to put you in the picture so we can both get the correct advice on here.
My grandson started driving lessons in September when he was 17, having just left school.Living in a small village he's struggling to get a job so the lessons are not a weekly thing.
We've decided to buy Ted's trusty Fiesta for him for Christmas.
I wasn't in a position to help my son this way when he was that age, and I want to do it for my only grandchild.
The position is that the car is SORN 300 miles away from where I live.
It needs to come down to the Fen, and then get from the Fen to Leicestershire on Boxing Day. It will then be parked 'off road' until Charlie passes his test.
We are happy to tax it for 6 months but need insurance to do that, so I assume it has to be registered in my name to insure it?

Is there any other way this can be done legally with minimum outlay?

Pat

PS Thought I should add that my benefit payments have been particularly good this year then I thought my humour would be seen as sarcasm:)
 Multi car insurance - Iffy
...It will then be parked 'off road' until Charlie passes his test...

Might it not be better to bite the insurance bullet for Number One Grandson now?

Insure it for him as his learner car, which can be cheaper because he's accompanied.

The premium might not be quite so sore after he passes his test because he will then have a track record with the insurance company, albeit a short one.

Better for him to get used to his new car gradually, better for the little Fiesta to be in use, rather than parked up.

I suppose the weakness in my plan is it may wreck any Christmas surprise being planned for the lad.

Multi car insurance - Fenlander
I've had a lot of experience over the past 15yrs helping folks find a youngsters first car. I think it would be great if you could insure it as a learner practice car and pay for the lessons and test. If not...

It's not good for the car... and more so the youngster... for it to stand for an indefinite period while they learn to drive... particularly if cash constraints will mean the learning process may be extended. If nothing else it is a huge huge temptation for even the most well behaved youngster to own a car on the drive where they can't legally drive it for many months or perhaps even years.

The hard truth... and I'm really sorry to be this upfront... is that a prompt course of lessons and the test fee would be a far better present than a car if it has to be one or the other.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 09:55
It doesn't, other family members will be providing lessons etc.

Pat
 Multi car insurance - Zero
Aviva provide 7 days insurance to dealers for new and second hand car sales.

You just give the dealer your details, he will get Aviva to insure for 7 days, and then he can tax it.

You cant then stay with Aviva (I did) or move on after 7 days.,
 Multi car insurance - scousehonda
"You cant then stay with Aviva (I did) or move on after 7 days.,"

Or 'can'.
 Multi car insurance - scottie
>> Admiral multi-car works well.>>

Well, yes - so long as you don't clain. When I hydro-locked my engine during the Cumbrian floods a year ago they took months to settle the claim, caused further damage to the car when they took it away for examination and, to add insult to injury, doubled the premium when renewal came around.
 Multi car insurance - Falkirk Bairn
Admiral is £550 for my son's 06 525d and DiL 06 1.6 golf.

Cheaper by about £200 from insuring separately.

I tried for my 2 cars and they were about £150 more than I pay for 2 policies.

Therefore my advice is try 2 x policies or multicar and decide for yourself
I was up at 4.30am and have spent the whole morning trying to sort out the car insurance.
The good news is the CRV insurance has been renewed at a rise of £51 on last years cost.
The bad news is that I've given up on insurance for the Fiesta today, I'll wait until I have a clear head again!

Dual policies wanted £735 minimum for them both wher the Fiesta was only £211 on it's own.
Learner driver policy for the Fiesta wanted £2,334 for a year with warnings that it would rise on passing test.
Short term insurance of 28 days for the Fiesta is £83 per month.
I year for the Fiesta £247 withe penalties to cancel it.

The CRV was due on 22nd November so it was important to get that one sorted out, the Fiesta can wait a day or two till I can have another go!

Pat

Multi car insurance - MD
Hi Pat,

try the national Farmers union (NFU). I have gone back to the Cornish mutual after being with my mate, (big national broker) cos their prices (CM) couldn't be beaten. NIG Scandia almost doubled the premium on the Colt to over £500.00. I was offered AXA at mid £250's, but (CM) was low 2's. I will almost certainly be moving house and businesses to Cornish M when they are up for renewal or at least giving them a chance to quote. You may find that NFU would like to 'do' all of your business as I described and to be fair their service is unlikely to be bettered. I have no connection with them.

Good luck,

Martin.
 Multi car insurance - Clk Sec
I tried to contact my nearest NFU branch for a quote when renewing my motor insurance last year, and the year before. Completed their on-line form but heard nothing from them on either occasion.

Multi car insurance - Fenlander
Pat if you're keeping to the original plan of just wanting the insurance to get the car to the lad then a one month policy for £83 isn't a fortune in the scheme of things. After all you'll spend far more than that in fuel collecting this car and moving it to Leicestershire.

I'm sure you'd be happier to buy a car you trust from Ted, even with this small extra outlay, than go into the unknown with local side of the road car sales.
Buying the Fiesta from Ted is a done deal:) for exactly the reasons you mention Fenlander.
We both know where all of the local 'bargains' come from, don't we?
Ted is busy tinkering and tittivating as we speak!!

It does sound the best option to insure for a month to get it where we want it to end up.

Wish you'd get up a bit earlier Martin so I could have looked at NFU and CM before we renewed the CRV with E-sure:)

Pat
 Multi car insurance - MD
Listen 'ere missus. I was up at 05.00 with the dorgs doing what dorgs do at that hour. Had a cuppa and went 'back' for an hour. Woke at 09.58!! Never heard of. Still felt like Shsssh even then.

Seriously though they are always worth a shot imho. NFU not the dogs.

Cheers dears x
 Multi car insurance - MD
I am not sure, but I guess and it is only a guess, that CM may not go too far out of area. I could find out if you so wish. Mods will give you my mail if you want it.

Regards........Martin.
 Multi car insurance - MD
CLK. I have absolutely NO JOY with 9/10 on-line enquiry forms. I sent a question to Cluson (torches) and have not had a reply. Fantastic company in every other way. Sent a query to a Plastics company in Florida on their on-line form. No response. These people are missing one huge trick somewhere.

Martin.
 Multi car insurance - Clk Sec
Good point, Martin. Maybe I'll 'phone them next time.
Latest Forum Posts