Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 22

KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - idle_chatterer
First visit back to blighty and I was given a Kia Cee'd instead of the expected Focus by the hire car company. As a self-confessed badge snob (Ford aside) I thought I might post my impressions.....

The car was very high mileage for a hire car at 31K, I guess they're running them longer due to the economic climate or perhaps manufacturers no longer do the huge fleet lease / buyback deals they were once doing ?

After 31K miles of abuse there were no rattles, the interior didn't appear worn and the whole thing drove like a new car, I was impressed.

Then there's the way it handles and rides, again I was impressed - and my benchmark is a 330d and/or Golf VI, it was fun to drive in an FWD sort of way, rode very well whilst being on the firmer side (which I like) - rather like a Focus from memory.

Not so good ? The engine, a 1.6 petrol felt completely gutless - especially compared to the VAG 1.4TSi, no low down torque and revs just added noise, this was the car's real (perhaps only) weakness. I think they do a diesel ? It didn't appear to be particularly economical either.

Only 5 gears, I haven't driven anything without 6 gears for maybe 5 years, wouldn't be so bad but 20mph / 1000rpm in top is about what my 1984 Metro had in 4th, made motorway driving very 'buzzy'. I guess without the torque it couldn't have managed a higher top gear, again the VAG 1.4TSi is much better in this respect.

Finally the interior, it didn't rattle, was well equipped but I thought the seat bolsters were vinyl - again like a 1984 Mini Metro City, however upon reflection perhaps they were some kind of leather... the seats were comfortable though. The interior had similar look and feel to a Toyota IMHO, not up to VAG standards but good enough, lacked some surprise and delight features like soft turn indicators and interior lights which turn on when you take the key out but this is being picky.

Would I buy one ? Probably not, but I wouldn't say 'never' and I wouldn't criticise anyone who does.
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Iffy
...Would I buy one ? Probably not...

You've summed up the Cee'd well.

It's a 'nearly' and 'not quite' car.

The steering's not quite as good as a Focus, the cabin's nearly as good, but equipment and features are not quite there.

The engine on my brother's 1.6 diesel was one of its stronger points, and I think the petrols might have been updated in the last year or so.

I think the Cee'd's biggest 'nearly' problem is the price

It's nearly as much as a Focus and all the other class-leading hatches.
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - RattleandSmoke
I think it is the detail which Kia is still missing, but then the Europeans have had over 100 years to perfect that.

As Idle says the car is good enough. I have been in one as a passenger and was impressed with the quality. It felt better built than my uncles 56 reg Focus Ghia.

I am not sure I would buy one, but with that 7 year warranty if the price was right and I was looking at a Focus sized car it would be very high up on my list.
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Old Navy
Ratlle was a passenger in my diesel estate several times over a couple of days, I agree about his Focus comparison, The build quality is better than my 05 Focus. My Ceed has plenty of goodies, like dual zone climate control, cruise control, and anti skid / traction control / emergency brake assist (I haven't tested that) braking system, six airbags, (in case the electronics crash the car :-) ). The only thing that is a little dissapointing is the fuel consumption, but we all know whose fault that is.
Missed the EDIT:-

The 2010 facelift model has a six speed gearbox.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 15:41
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - lancara
Currently drive a cee'd (2.0l petrol auto), previous car a Golf Mk 5. Cee'd is better equipped than Golf - folding wing mirrors (don't clip the garage door frame now), iPod connection standard, half "leather" seats (seats poor quality in Golf, wore through fabric in 3 years). Only thing missing is "bell" on ice alarm, which is a good thing when you're travellling on an undulating road with ice hollows and temperatures just above/below 3degC, with the bell pinging continually. Cee'd also has a better fuel computer - doesn't fluctuate wildly as the Golf's. When it came to renewing cee'd was 80% of the price of an equivalent Golf or Focus, with 7 year warranty and opposed to 2 years here for Golf. Servicing costs comparable.
The majority of my motoring is on cruise control at 110 kph on motorways and it returns 38mpg - which is not bad for a petrol automatic.
Last edited by: lancara on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 23:46
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Skoda
Aesthetics wise, it's obvious that Kia had some european help putting the ceed together. I'd logically compare it against the Toyota Auris given the heritage, but it's head and shoulders above the bland Auris.

The Auris, and the Yaris to a large extent, fail where the Ceed succeeds. It looks good in a native european way. To me it even says something about the buyer of the ceed -- "i still care, i want my car to look good", where an Auris buyer has given up all notion of aesthetic appeal before they step foot in the Toyota dealership.

(I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing not to value form, but we are human and all that...)

allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/kia-pro-ceed-hatchback-2.jpg

I like the ceed. It doesn't suit me to have one right now but in different circumstances, i'd put my money where my mouth is.
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Dog
>>To me it even says something about the buyer of the ceed -- "i still care, i want my car to look good", where an Auris buyer has given up all notion of aesthetic appeal before they step foot in the Toyota dealership<<

What a complete and utter load of ole blimmin shoe menders.
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Skoda
>> What a complete and utter load of ole blimmin shoe menders.

Haha auris for comparison --> gado2net.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/toyota-auris.jpg

Bought on looks? Hmmm :-)
The first time I saw the Ceed back in early 2007 I nearly banged into the lampost. I had lost interest in the cars at the time and wasn't clued up on new models. To me Kia was somebody that made old Fords (Festiva) and other dodgy cars. When I saw the Ceed I thought what is this smart looking new car and was amazed when I saw the badge.

The Ceed is European anyway, it was designed and built in Europe and I think when the all new Ceed comes out it will finally be a direct competitor to the Focus in that it is as good as it in every way.

From the comments here it seems they need to improve the refinement and engines a bit but now it has a 6 speed gearbox that will help a lot with that.

Kia just need to do this to all their range now.
Just to be clear - I quite liked the Cee'd, I'd be interested in trying a Hyundai I30 too since they're supposedly related ? The 7 year warrantee is no great attraction to me - some commentators point out that it contains many exclusions so is worth little more than Hyundai's 'mere' 5 year one.

I read that either the Kia or the Hyundai was used as a comparator when VW developed the Golf VI - they see them as serious competitors these days. My money would probably go on a Golf VI with a version of the 1.4TSi engine, the warrantee doesn't sway me and the Golf is well equipped in Match or Sport trim.

Do all current Auris have independent rear suspension yet ? After SWMBO's Civic FK3 I'd avoid anything with a torsion beam setup.
"Do all current Auris have independent rear suspension yet ?"

The T Sport use to have independant rear suspension but they don't seem to offer it now (T Sport and Auris don't seem right in the same sentence). The current brochure shows torsion beam in all models.
Last edited by: lancara on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 16:09
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Dog
How about the Hyundai 130, I never seem to hear much about that car, good or bad ~

www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/i30/edition/

I must admit the Cee'd and the 130 don't look an 'awful' lot different to my 05 Almera :)
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Falkirk Bairn
MOTORPOINT - HyundaiI30 - 1.6 comfort @ under £10K, only 10 miles on the clock.

If they are deemed good carsc@ £13.5K then they must be very good choice if your budget is under £10K !!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 17:23
 KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - Ambo
The public must have lashed on to the i30 as mine only cost about £11,600 new in March 2008. This included good trade-in, 0% finance opver 3 years for the balance and 3 years full breakdown RAC cover. Only technical problem, new battery after only 26 months (2 months out of warranty. The car warranty is 5 years against the Kia's 7 but I imagine the drive is the same and I agree with the original comment about the gutless engine. It is quite lively throught the gears but in top it lacks oomph for overtaking and the hill climbing is surprisingly poor for such a large engine.
The Ceed and i30 share oily bits, floorpan, and suspension, with different suspension settings. The KIA is firm and the i30 set up is softer. I prefer firm. My car has the 113bhp diesel, the 89bhp diesel, and petrol engines are gutless.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 15 Nov 10 at 16:33
I thought your car was perfectly decent in the way it rides. You could feel the road underneath a little bit but it cornered perfectly fine and was smooth. If it was any smoother I wouldn't like it either.

It would seem that maybe Kia are going for the more youth market and Hyundai for the slightly older market. However some Hyundais are more youtful than Kias. I think they need to try and create different image for both their brands.

There is currently too much stagmentation in their range. It is rather like the days of British Leyland.

VW currently have this problem with SEAT as they have not really been able to create a clear brand image for the marque. Where as they have with Skoda, Audi and VW.

>> It would seem that maybe Kia are going for the more youth market and Hyundai
>> for the slightly older market.

I must be a confused geriatric teenager then! :-)

The 2010 facelift Ceed has modified suspension settigs to improve the ride.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 15 Nov 10 at 17:08
Not really, plenty of older people would prefer a firmer ride. But I do think it would make sense if they tuned each brand to suit. So Kias could be firmer and better handeling where as the Hyundai could be smoother but less fun to drive.

I sometimes with my Panda had firmer springs but then the ride is very good even on rough roads, I haven't had any back ache since I got my Panda, I suffered from this all the time in the Corsa. However due to the lack of a rear anti roll bar, tall tyres and tall springs it rolls like a double decker bus.

I would see here in south Manchester the ceed seems a bit more popular than the i30 but that could be because it has been on sale longer.

KIA Cee'd - Had a Cee'd on hire - diddy1234
It is the same here in north Herts.
More Ceed's than I30's but then I just rocket past both in the Rio (Lighter and better Bhp per ton than a Ceed)
"I would see here in south Manchester the ceed seems a bit more popular than the i30 but that could be because it has been on sale longer."

Autocar seems to back up my memory:

Hyundai i30 - First drive - Mar 2007
Kia cee'd - First drive - Oct 2007
>>
>> The 2010 facelift Ceed has modified suspension settigs to improve the ride.
>>

I thought the 2009 Cee'd rode more than acceptably well, I'd compare the ride / handling to a Focus I which is no disgrace, certainly streets ahead of a Civic FK3 or Auris. it soaked up bumps nicely and didn't 'skitter' over broken surfaces (of which Surrey has many) like the Civic does.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 00:53
My last car was an 05 Focus, my bum isn't sensitive enough to tell the difference in ride. The Ceed can go around corners fast enough to make the OH grab the door handle, (she must think the door is going to fall off), and issue dark threats. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 09:34
Latest Forum Posts