Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 16

Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - Falkirk Bairn
tinyurl.com/33vpe4t

2Wd Freelander, lower ££s, lower CO2 means lower RFL and lower BIK for company car drivers BUT this devalue the brand?

Would you buy a 2WD Freelander and buy winter tyres or buy the $WD version and pay the penalty on fuel, RFL etc
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - R.P.
Seems pointless to me - they also do a two wheel drive version of the CRV in the states - first question would be why ?
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - Bagpuss
Most SUVs sold in the US are 2wd only, at least that used to be the case. I've driven various Grand Cherokees, Trailblazers and the like that were rear wheel drive. In fact there is a label on the dasboard of the 4wd version of the Trailblazer warning you not to engage 4wd whilst on a proper road. I guess you get the big butch looks for less money. Sort of motoring equivalent of all mouth and no trousers.
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - Fenlander
Hmmmm... Given that many here will argue that a set of winter tyres on a FWD car will out-perform (or at least equal) a 4WD on standard tyres then perhaps a 2WD Freelander on winter tyres with its good ground clearance and advanced traction control may make sense.

You also get the advantage of the high driving position, roomy seating and it's probably better looking than many other bloated crossover/mini SUV type vehicles.

Anyway as a huge percentage of Freelanders never go offroad perhaps this really does make sense??
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 15 Nov 10 at 10:44
Well the X1 maybe ugly Fen - but I'd trust it to keep away from dealers more than any Landy !
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - Fenlander
X1....

I didn't have any particular target in mind, just think the comments apply in this particular market. Land Rover reliability not an issue when you are a believer... same as Citroen really!
Land Rover reliability not an issue when you are a believer...

You're probably right ! On this change head said BMW heart said Freelander especially when one of my FB pals got a very nice white Freelander !
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - Bill Payer
>> Most SUVs sold in the US are 2wd only, at least that used to be
>> the case. I've driven various Grand Cherokees, Trailblazers and the like that were rear wheel
>> drive. In fact there is a label on the dasboard...

The Grand Cherokees that are rented in Florida have 4x4 badges on the rear door but they're still only 2WD.

I was quite pleased to get a "proper" 4WD version of Dodge Durango one year and it had a V8 engine instead of a V6. The downside was the fuel consumption was more horrendous than ever.
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - jc2
The original Land Rover was available as 2wd;not many were sold-most to the RAF who didn't need 4wd for use on runways.
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - movilogo
Imagine this conversation.

My mates BMW went to ditch.

Why didn't you pull it out with your Landrover?

Tried and that went in ditch too.

No worries, let me come rescue you in my Land Cruiser.

I see it as pointless exercise (even though it might generate revenue for the company in short run).
They'll probably be popular in the US as well which is good.
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - Tigger
Most of the old model freelanders were two wheel drive by the time they were 4-5 years old anyway - the viscous coupling being famously pathetic
Funny you should say that another FB friend has had her W reg Freelander de-4x4'd...
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - spamcan61
>> Seems pointless to me - they also do a two wheel drive version of the
>> CRV in the states - first question would be why ?
>>

"lower ££s, lower CO2 means lower RFL and lower BIK for company car drivers"

That would explain it methinks.
In the States as well ?
 Land Rover Freelander 2 - 2 wheel drive available for first time - spamcan61
>> In the States as well ?
>>

'spose not, fair point :-)
:-}
Latest Forum Posts