Motoring Discussion > SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase.
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 15

SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Roger.
We should (D.V.) be moving back to the UK very soon.
We have been offered a Seat Alhambra 1.9tdi, year 2001, RHD, 102,000 miles with the cam belt changed at 88.000 miles. T & T. A pretty tidy car from the photos I've seen.
The seller wants too much for it, of course, but what are member's views on the general desirability/reliability/fuel consumption?
TIA.
Roger
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Iffy
I have the impression the Alhambra was the least reliable of the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra range.

Not sure if any of them were up to much, mixing the manufacturers didn't seem to work too well.

It's nine years and 100K+ miles, looks tidy and has some history.

You could spend a lot of time chasing around without finding anything better.

SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - mikeyb
Iffy I had heard that the galaxy's tended to suffer more because ford didn't understand how to look after the VAG TDi unit and VW were not keen in supporting ford dealers.......

Think that would be a mark II version which were much improved over the originals and have better reliability.

Dont have any direct experience of one that old, but we have a 5 year old Sharan that has been pretty faultless since new and over 70K

One thing to look out for is many of that age get used as builders vans, so make sure it's been loved, but they are fairly plentiful, so walk away if you have any doubts
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Hard Cheese

>> Iffy I had heard that the galaxy's tended to suffer more because ford didn't understand
>> how to look after the VAG TDi unit and >>

I reckon Ford dealers are/were diligent in using the VAG xxx.xxx spec oil because they could be liable for warranty claims, rather than Ford, if they didn't.

Also of the rear and treatment of the facelift variants, the Galaxy is so much better executed.

I know someone who had a Alhambra 130 and was happy with it.

SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - sooty123
Fuel wise I think they are ok, what are they asking for it? I don't think any of the three were very well built, I know someone had one upto 186k but it was a money pit he spent something like a grand in less than a year nothing major just some very often.
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Runfer D'Hills
Could be quite a good thing landsker. I had a (then new) Galaxy 1.9 diesel ( pretty much the same car ) around 1999 / 2000 for a couple of years.

Only took it up to 80k but it was very reliable up to that point anyway. Surprisingly quick and agile too. Comfortable. Only criticism, which may not be important to you of course, was that the seats were very heavy when you wanted to remove them. Cavernous when you do take the seats out but neat and tidy to drive.

I changed that car for a wretched Espace. Big mistake.
Here's his description:-
"Seat Alhambra SE 1.9PD Tdi Silver 2001 Diesel.
UK '51 plate RHD. UK taxed until end of Feb 2011
MOT until 17th Aug 2011
Recent new front tyres.
Alpine Bluetooth Handsfree stereo with ipod connector.
One of the rear seats has a multi-function child seat built in, which fits from toddler to 12. This was a £500 option when new. It looks like a normal seat when not in use as a child seat.
Only 2 owners from new.
Service History. New cambelt fitted at 88000 miles.
102,000 miles. Up to 45mpg on the airport run
This car has only just arrived down here and is perfect for anyone returning to the UK, as it has a huge carrying capacity.
Because of the excellent all-round visibility, it is also one of the easiest to drive RHD cars to use over here."
He's trying (!) for OIRO 4750€
BUT he might take our 2001 LHD Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi as a PX ,as he wants a smaller car for a daily commute to Gibraltar. If I'm similarly cheeky on my price there might be a difference to change with which we can live!
A mutual tyre kicking session seems to be on!
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Soupytwist
If it is the PD engined version, correct spec oil at the correct intervals is critical as mentioned below. Subject to that, PD engines seem to be pretty long lasting. If it's the 100bhp version it won't be a scintillating drive, the 130 bhp should be perfectly adequate.
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Biggles
The price seems excessive compared with the prices in the UK. They are trying to sell a RHD at Spanish prices by the look of it. Knock €3000 off the asking price.
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Marc
We've owned an 05 Galaxy for four years and been very pleased with it.

As commented, the seats are heavy if you want to remove them. The pollen filter is a nightmare to change and the tubing for the rear wash wipe blew its connector off soaking the front passenger carpet which involved dismantling some trim to fix.

Can't comment on the 1.9 TDi engine as we have the 2.3 petrol. Taxi drivers seem to like the diesels so they must be OK...
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - mattbod
Hey sorry been away from forum a while been working abroad. As long as it has had full regular maintenance using the correct oil the engine sould be great: pulls like a train too.I'm sure you will be fine with it!
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - NeilS
I had a 97 Alhambra tdi. It had the 90bhp engine which pulled it along ok but it was quite slow and overtaking on normal roads was something best planned the previous night. Completely reliable for the two years I had it and about 60,000 miles. I used to average 40mpg which given the size and relatively high speed I used to push it on the motorways was pretty good. As others have said, acres of space, very heavy seats, great vision and comfortable. Replaced mine with a Passat tdi, PD, 115bhp felt like a sports car in comparison and over 50mpg easily.
Thank you all for your input!
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Stuartli
The Seat was the best value of the three marque variants because of its specifications and keener pricing.
 SEAT Alhambra - Your thoughts on a possible purchase. - Boxsterboy
I had an early (97) Sharan TDI 90. It was very troublesome, and I got shot of it when the warranty ran out, but I believe most of the early ones were - I seem to recall both the Galaxy and Sharan coming at or near the bottom of owner surveys in the early days. Hopefully a 2001 model will be a better bet. Certainly they are very popular with private hire around London - Addison Lee must have a massive fleet of (older) Galaxies and Sharans.

If you get a relaible one they are a great design - very useful and versatile, and not bad to drive with it.
Well, we have seen the car and it is a peach! The SE model with 115 BHP.
The PX deal, with our (private) buyer is OK, but the next problem is insurance.
Investigations are proceeding.
HPI checks seem expensive though!
Last edited by: landsker on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 19:08
Latest Forum Posts