Motoring Discussion > Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteveT Replies: 15

Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - SteveT
Hallo folks

Would be interested in your thoughts on this...

I had 2 x Continental Conti Premium Contact 2 fitted to the front wheels of my Mazda 626 2.0L auto in June this year.

5 months, and 4500 miles later, they've had to be replaced due to being worn out, down to the wear indicator.

Now there is a separate issue due to alignment, as they're more worn on the inside. Even taking this into account, would you expect more than 4500 miles for a pair of tyres on the front?
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - DP
Lots of variables affect tyre life. You mention wheel alignment, but also how the car is driven, where the car is driven, how accurately the pressures are maintained, and so on. Does the car do a lot of slow speed manoeuvring, for example where the wheel might be turned without the car moving? Lots of roundabouts? Harsh acceleration or braking?

Was it the more worn inner part of the tread that was down to the markers, or the less worn part? The tyre tread should meet the minimum thickness across 75% of the width, so if more than 25% of the width was excessively worn, the tyre would need to be replaced regardless of the condition of the tread outside of this worn area.

Loads of variables.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Stuartli
>>. Does the car do a lot of slow speed manoeuvring, for example where the wheel might be turned without the car moving?>>

Now that is "slow speed manoeuvring"..:-)
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Armel Coussine
>> would you expect more than 4500 miles for a pair of tyres on the front?

Sounds as if your car has grossly excessive toe-out and perhaps some other alignment problem. It's costing petrol as well as rubber and is potentially unsafe - putting for example continuous sideways stress on the front wheel bearings.

My emphatic advice is to get the front wheel alignment checked properly and adjusted right now, not by your usual garage either. Find someone with proper equipment who knows how to use it. It's an emergency. It could be that your car has a stuffed bottom ball joint or track rod end. Be prepared for parts costs.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Zero
The alignment needs to be checked ASAP, it going to be expensive if you don't.

I get 28-32k out of a set of front tyres on any car.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Runfer D'Hills
>> I get 28-32k out of a set of front tyres on any car.

Drive like a girl then do you?
I would leave you trailing in my skirts...

I happen to drive fast and smooooooooooooothly.

Smooth is not one of your strong points.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - -
>> I would leave you trailing in my skirts...

Blue lights the order of the day then...each to their own mind..;)
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Runfer D'Hills
...of course I bow to your impeccable social skills.
Know thy place you displaced sweaty.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Stuu
Modern cars sure are heavy, Im sure this affects it. My wifes comparitively light Sirion did 26k on its front tyres but my older Charade did 53k on its original tyres.
Id expect more than 4500 though, on anything but a supercar.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - nyx2k
my c3 piccaso needs new tyres very soon as its done 17k in 13 months and is down to 3mm on michelin energy savers.
the backs are at 8mm so have some life left yet
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - SteveT
Thanks all for some great responses, both on and off topic ;) I'll book it in first thing Monday morning.

There's nothing unusual in the way it's driven, although my route to work does have some rather aggressive speed humps, which may have knocked out the alignment.

I should add I have exactly the same make and type of tyres on the back, and these have hardly worn in 18 months.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - VxFan
>> I should add I have exactly the same make and type of tyres on the back, and these have hardly worn in 18 months.

Rear tyres on a front wheel drive car are only there to hold the rear of the car off the ground. Unlike the front tyres, they're not having the forces of the engine exerted on them.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - L'escargot
>> I should add I have exactly the same make and type of tyres on the
>> back, and these have hardly worn in 18 months.

That's not unusual. I expect to get two to three times the mileage out of rear tyres compared with fronts.
 Mazda 626 - Tyres worn out after 4500 miles - Victorbox
The tracking problem is your main issue but my company car had Continental Premium Contacts on from new and they were worn out at 20,000 miles on the front but the Goodyear NCT5's and Michelins since all do 30,000 miles. I think Continentals are a good gripping, quiet tyre but poor for wear.
Latest Forum Posts