Motoring Discussion > VED surprises, anyone caught out. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 31

VED surprises, anyone caught out. - -
We were looking at a colleauges Freelander TD4 t'other day, nice enough car on an 06 plate, top of range so i believe.

Astounded that the VED was approx £425 for the current 12 months!

I was convinced that there'd been a mistake and some fool had registered it as a petrol V6, so looked it up on Parker's, sure enough HSE auto Diesels cost £425, not quite so highly specced models go into the £225ish? band.

VED surprises, anyone caught out. - RattleandSmoke
Its purely about how much emissions came out of the exhaust when the car was tested in some lab. Mine just scrapes the £30 a year rate:)>

VED surprises, anyone caught out. - R.P.
Is it the autos that do that to it - the X1 is a reasonable 155 - bargain it seems.
I was shocked seeing as it's the 2.0 litre BMW motor i believe which is one of the best engines out there performance versus emissions.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - jamesh764
My Citroen diesel is £425 per year, and I didn't realise until I'd already paid the deposit on the car. When you look at the overall cost of running a car, road tax is quite a small percentage, whether it is £35 or £425.

I always thought that CO2 and fuel economy were somehow related, but in a recent unscientific experiment I discovered I get the same fuel economy from a one litre Chevrolet (which according to Parkers is 137g/km for CO2) and a two litre Alfa (which is over 200g/km).
>> My Citroen diesel is £425 per year,

Is that a C6 by any chance Jamesh?, if not what on earth have you got?
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Bromptonaut
I did a double take there as well GB. I wonder if it's another case where auto x/mission is the culprit.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - jamesh764
It is a C6 - well guessed. It's a 2.7 diesel automatic. The newer ones have a 3.0 engine which produces less CO2 and is therefore a mere £225 pa to tax, but I'd rather suffer higher road tax than the first 3 years' depreciation on a new Citroen.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Iffy
...It is a C6 - well guessed. It's a 2.7 diesel automatic...

Saw one in a showroom a year or so ago.

Proper, big, luxurious motor.

I'd love to be driven around in one of those.

>> It is a C6

We've got some right teasers here and you have just gone to one of the top 5...;), come on man you can't have an unusual car like that and not tell us about it.

New thread please with some real life experiences of life with a C6, a car many of us wish we had the guts to buy, i love 'em.
. I wonder if it's another case where auto x/mission is the culprit.
>>

I suppose so Brompton but unless i've misread the Parker's an SE auto Diesel goes £225 ish, what the heck can be so different on an HSE to send it over the limit.

TBH it would make me sell the thing and buy the biggest ugliest Landcruiser i could find, if i'm paying £425 i'd want me moneysworth.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Stuartli
>>When you look at the overall cost of running a car, road tax is quite a small percentage, whether it is £35 or £425.>>

It's the large lump sum involved that's often the problem for many people.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - ToMoCo
>> It's the large lump sum involved that's often the problem for many people.
>>

Agreed.

It's surely going to kill the value of some cars at 5/6 years old.
I think the £425 will be a significant problem when those affected vehicles fall below say £5K in value, the VED will become an increasing precentage of the vehicles worth.

Will those be joining the the thousands of other vehicles on the slow boat to Africa and other such destinations when their values drop.

Our Hilux would have been an Amazon if not for the VED.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Bill Payer
>> I always thought that CO2 and fuel economy were somehow related,

Fuel consumption used to be calculated from the emissions but they've changed the way it's done now.

They're still be very closely related though - the issue you're seeing is that real world MPG vary so randomly from the official figures.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 21:40
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Runfer D'Hills
Mondeo estate 2.0d manual £150 ( about 45mpg ), Qashqai 2.0d 4x4 auto £215 ( about 38mpg )

S'pose it sounds about right although I'd have thought the Ford chucks out a fair bit more nasty stuff judging by its ability to "make smoke" on demand.

>> S'pose it sounds about right although I'd have thought the Ford chucks out a fair
>> bit more nasty stuff judging by its ability to "make smoke" on demand.
>>

That's always highlighted the lunacy of the emissions based VED, many turbo Diesels pre DPF's could obliterate the road with black smoke under power but were deemed less polluting that an equivalent performance petrol that apart from condensation had no visible exhaust.

Still greater minds than mine know what they're doing.

Surprised the Cashcow is so high on tax being such a new design.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Runfer D'Hills
>> Surprised the Cashcow is so high on tax being such a new design.

It's fairly steamy on "bik" too for such a modest car.

Mustn't grumble though.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Roger.
"Still greater minds than mine know what they're doing."
No they absolutely do NOT!
VED allied to the great "Green" God is just a way to screw more money from motorists.
Logic has nothing to do with it.
99% of "Green" legislation is absolute testes.
>>99% of "Green" legislation is absolute testes.>>

As low a figure as that?
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - a900ss

>> That's always highlighted the lunacy of the emissions based VED, many turbo Diesels pre DPF's
>> could obliterate the road with black smoke under power

Not sure that post DPF don't obliterate the road with black smoke under power. My Subaru Legacy has a bit of a smoke problem but apparently 'they all do that'. Judging by the Subaru forums, unfortunately , they do!!
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - FotheringtonTomas
>> That's always highlighted the lunacy of the emissions based VED, many turbo
>> Diesels pre DPF's could obliterate the road with black smoke under power but
>> were deemed less polluting that an equivalent performance petrol

It depends on what pollutant you measure. Emission of elemental carbon is not an issue for the VED.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - PhilW
" the X1 is a reasonable 155 - bargain it seems"
Surprised it is so high Pug - aren't some of the 1 Series and 3 Series diesels zero VED?
Mind you, as you say, £155 isn't bad for such a car - is it good in the snow??
Phil
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - MrTee43
Wasn't the VED increase and the linking to emissions output supposed to be because of the so called greenhouse effect ?

It's amazing how quickly that lie has been quietly dropped.

No doubt a "greeny" will be along to tell us that the greenhouse effect is real and definately man made. The only trouble is that nature and the snow we have right now sort of makes their arguments a bit feeble.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Collos
Seeing that about 90% of co2 is caused by humans breathing the pope probably did more for the world last week with his speech about contraceptives than all the so called green measures brought in round the world.

I nearly bought a Mazda with a rotary engine last year in the uk till I saw the the VED costs.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - FotheringtonTomas
>> Seeing that about 90% of co2 is caused by humans breathing

Claptrap, if you mean the actual CO2 exhaled by mankind. Amusing thought, but utter rubbish.
Whatever the current fashionable thinking or the terminoligy of the day re global warming and other associated industries, VED changes have altered buyers choices.

Remember the outrage when they decided on retrospective taxation of high band cars back to 2001 in 2006, it didn't happen in the end but many people who owned affected high band cars regd between 01 and 06 sold them sometimes at great loss and who can blame them, and who knows what this lot have planned for the future.

It helped alter our purchase of an Amazon to a pick up, halved VED costs...well till they shift the goal posts and i don't have Mystic Megs crystal ball to ask.

It also influenced our purchase when we bought the C2 VTS Diesel, we wanted to get in the £30 bracket whilst still having a quick but very economical car, only 2 contenders ticked every box and we bought the Citroen instead of the Grande Punto 1.6 Multijet.

I wonder what they have in store for us next.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Bellboy
every vehicle i buy for resale is based on costs the customer will need to pay after paying me
this is why i am successful
i know the needs of customers before they ask
they dont know that i know of course
brilliant business strategy
if i could buy more of the product i buy at the price im happy at i could retire tomorrow
-------------------------
unfortunately i cant
>>VED changes have altered buyers choices.>>

A stealth tax, no more or less.

VED rates are, basically, a quite modest sum in view of the cost of depreciation and fuel costs annually.

Claiming to save the world with "green" measures is one of the biggest rip-offs around unless, for instance, you pay £3 plus in your club or pub for a pint of soda and lime or other soft drink.

Modern cars emit vastly reduced levels of emissions compared to 10 or even five years or less ago.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 23:58
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - L'escargot
>> >>VED changes have altered buyers choices.>>
>>
>> A stealth tax, no more or less.

There's nothing stealthy about it. It's all open and above board.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - IJWS14
>> Wasn't the VED increase and the linking to emissions output supposed to be because of
>> the so called greenhouse effect ?
>>
>> It's amazing how quickly that lie has been quietly dropped.
>>
>> No doubt a "greeny" will be along to tell us that the greenhouse effect is
>> real and definately man made. The only trouble is that nature and the snow we
>> have right now sort of makes their arguments a bit feeble.
>>

On the offchance that they are right the effect on the UK would be colder winters, cause being the meltwater from the Arctic moving the gulf stream south.
 VED surprises, anyone caught out. - Netsur
I would like to think that I can afford to run pretty well any car on the market (perhaps not buy) but when I realised how much VED was and how much it could easily go up to, I decided to drop my sights a bit.

If I did 30,000 miles pa then buying and running a juicy SUV or large saloon would seem sensible and the VED would pale into insignificance compared to the fuel costs. But doing just 9,000 miles pa then the VED of £425 works out at about 12 weeks worth of fuel. That's almost a quarter of a year and that a big proportion.
Latest Forum Posts