Motoring Discussion > To drive or not to drive..? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeteW Replies: 11

To drive or not to drive..? - PeteW
My wifes Clio tends to get used maybe 3 times a week, the rest of the time is spent sitting under a tree on the road.
In this current cold weather is it better to use it everyday to keep the battery charged up or let it sit there just to be used for an infrequent 10 mile trip?
Last edited by: Everest Pete on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 12:10
 To drive or not to drive..? - TheManWithNoName
I'd say use it. Cars like to be driven otherwise things start to rust, seize, rot, dry out, lose power etc, etc.
 To drive or not to drive..? - borasport
I'd say if you are going to use it, make sure it is for a decent run and properly warmed up.

I do a 27 mile commute and so far this week its taking 13 or 14 miles before the temperature gauge hits its normal position
 To drive or not to drive..? - FotheringtonTomas
It probably won't make much difference.
 To drive or not to drive..? - Mapmaker
Only sensible solution is to build it a double-glazed shed.
 To drive or not to drive..? - RattleandSmoke
My Corsa's head gasket died when I was unable to drive it for a month due to a broken elbow (caused by ice last year).

Now there was already symptons including gunk in the header tank so I have no idea if it being left had anything to with the timing of the head gasket failure.

My dad Fiesta was also dumped as he had broken his arm in many places and was unable to drive for a few months. It spent over 8 weeks without being driven. When I was well enough to drive but my dad wasn't I tried to start it and the battery was flat as a dodo.

I put the battery on a slow charge over night and it started instantly. Nearly a year and 6000 miles later no problems at all. As far as I can work out apart from the battery going flat being dumped for a few months did it no harm at all.
 To drive or not to drive..? - IJWS14
My sons Corsa managed 3 years of being stood in the garage during university terms, battery got charged when he came home and never failed to start first time.

When he graduated it stood outside for six months and managed his 4 mile daily commute until he got a scheme car from his employer.

Not running didn't do it any harm - possibly because it was in the garage.
 To drive or not to drive..? - L'escargot
My car did 4000 miles in the 16 months before I bought it, so I guess it stood idle for long periods. The only deterioration was rusty brake discs.
 To drive or not to drive..? - Cliff Pope
Notice that when amazing old cars are discovered unused for 50 years, they are always "barn finds", not sitting outside under trees.
 To drive or not to drive..? - ....
The barn is invariably not on an island at the edge of a salty ocean either.
 To drive or not to drive..? - Bill Payer
>> ...or let it sit there just to be used for an infrequent 10 mile trip?
>>
Realistically, it would be better to sell it and call a cab when your missus needs to go somewhere.

However, I don't think it needs to be taken for a run for the sake of it, although when it is used, 10 miles probably isn't enough - 20 would be better.

I often don't use my Merc from one week to the next - took it out yesterday for a 200 miles round trip having not moved for 10 days and it was fine (once I'd chipped the ice off!).
 To drive or not to drive..? - PeteW
>>Realistically, it would be better to sell it and call a cab when your missus needs to go somewhere

Try telling that to SWMBO. Also the journey is to and from a stable yard so I think the taxi driver would probably not appreciate the smell/mess/various horsey items that both the Clio and I have to put up with!!!!

Anyway thanks for the comments. Have decided that it can sit there like it does throughout the year. The only concession to marital bliss is that I de-ice it at some point during the day so it's ready to go for her after work!
Latest Forum Posts