Motoring Discussion > Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: wazza Replies: 19

Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - wazza
My friend has a 1999 T reg Perouda Nippa. I believe it is 850cc. It has a rectangular air filter. What car is it based on? From my search i find that it is based on Diahatsu Mira. Can someone confirm this?

Are the mechanics/engine parts the same? It is just that i have difficulty sourcing parts where i live. There is no local perouda garage. However there is a local daihatsu garage.

thanks in advance for any replies
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - RattleandSmoke
Its a mid 80's Mira but no idea the rest :). Your local Diahatsu dealer may be able to help.
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - Stuu
1993-95 Daihatsu Mira, itself based on the 80's Daihatsu Domino.
Re parts, likely body parts will differ slightly, but service/mechanical bits shouldnt be a problem. Prob get them from any motor factor, no need to go to Daihatsu.
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - Iffy
I don't want to be accused of uselessly lengthening a thread, but I just knew Stu would have the handle on this one.

Bet he didn't even have to look it up.

My mum actually had a brand new Daihatsu Domino in 1986, we had it 5 years. One of my childhood cars. Ya knows Im a bit of an anorak, otherwise, how would I come up with such obscure cars :-)
Thanks for the info.

The car has lost its coolant. A split pipe somewhere. Am hoping it is a simple straight pipe which i can get from any motor factors. If it is a unique pipe only for this car then we have problems.

Just found out that i can only get the alternator from the dealer itself. Price? £270+vat. More than what the car is worth :-(
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - RattleandSmoke
Nippas are very cheap even in the current climate. If your friend has space it might be worth finding an MOT failure on the cheap for parts.
unfortunately no garage etc. Did mention visiting scrap yard and stock up on parts last year. Fell on deaf ears.
Who says only from the dealer?
Theres an alternator on Ebay for an 850cc Daihatsu Move, might fit. Id be suprised if the part was special to a Perodua.
thanks, will look into it
have rang motor factors/halfords/alternator stockists no luck regarding alternator.
Well id get the part number off the one fitted and the specs and ring around with that info rather than say Perodua Nippa parts. Id bet its the same alternator fitted to most 850 Daihatsu or if its not, they would be interchangable, its only a re-skinned Mira afterall.
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - AnotherJohnH
I'd sort the coolant loss first, and if that's successful then consider an alternator repair if the thing is unique/expensive.

Bushes? Regulator? Bearings? or burnt out? In increasing order of likelyhood/difficulty.

Scrap yard parts for something that age are likely to have the same faults if they are "end of design life" issues.

IMHO
That is what i plan to do.

This is what happened.

Friend had a flat battery. Got it started. After a while there was a screeching sound from the alternator area when you switch on the lights/heater etc and rev the engine up. It would go away when you release the accelerator pedal. With no load there was no screeching sound when you rev the engine.

With the engine off checked belt and it's tension. Seems okay. Start up car. Rev it up till it starts screeching. Sprayed WD40 on fanbelt. No change. Sprayed behind the alternator puller screeching disappears. Then comes back after a while. The alternator works, it charges the battery. The reason why the battery went flat is because she uses it for very short journeys.

Went for a spin and the car starts perfectly. Told her to run the car as it is. If the alternator stops charging then get rid of car. Cheap solution. She wants to change the car anyway because her teenage kids now refuse to be seen in it. :-)

She takes it out later that day and rings me to say there is no heat from the heater, the temp gauge is reading hot and steam from under the bonnet. Have yet to check out what the problem is. The silly woman does not recall putting antifreeze in for years.

Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - AnotherJohnH
>> The silly woman does not recall putting antifreeze in for years.

that could be the death of the car, depending on what's burst.
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - bathtub tom
>>She wants to change the car anyway because her teenage kids now refuse to be seen in it.

Mine tried that trick. They were given the choice of walking or paying their own bus fare. Guess what?

When I got a newer car I told them they weren't allowed in it. ;>)
 Perodua Nippa - What is Perouda Nippa based on? - Dave
Are you sure the waterpump hasn't/wasn't seized.
The waterpump is okay, it rotates. When the weather improves i will check the car out thoroughly
Latest Forum Posts