Motoring Discussion > Numptys on our roads. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 18

Numptys on our roads. - Bigtee
I was walking into Asda last night when this bloke says 'hey mate your a big lad im stuck give us a push'

He was stuck alright snow and ice as i leant to push his motor out of the snow the front tyres were almost bald!!

It was a swear word i used snip and with that i walked off.

Numpty's on our roads.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 1 Dec 10 at 10:32
 Numptys on our roads. - Bellboy
i very rarely would help a numpty because if they can get stuck then they can also side swipe you as they break free ,break your leg in 3 places and you can never walk again
no------------ hate pushing cars------
friend broke his leg really badly pulling a car a few years ago backwards out of the mot slipper plates on the ramp
 Numptys on our roads. - BiggerBadderDave
I remember watching some blokes trying to get one of the very first Astras unstuck on a slight hill when I was a young lad. One of them slipped a piece of hardboard under a front wheel. As soon as the driver hit the gas, it was fired out at an incredible speed, whizzing right past the faces of the guys who were pushing.
 Numptys on our roads. - Old Navy
Recently I passed someone changing an offside rear wheel on a motorway hard shoulder in the dark. No hazard flashers, and the passenger was spectating and obscuring the right rear light.
 Numptys on our roads. - Bagpuss
Last winter I stopped to help a blonde woman whose Porsche 911 was stuck in the snow. Strangely I was not the only gent assisting this damsel in distress.

The car really was stuck fast so someone came up with the idea of taking the floor mats out of the footwells and using them to get some traction under the enormous tyres. We wedged the floor mats in front of the rear wheels and told the woman to carefully press the accelerator pedal. She decided to floor it (it was an automatic) and the mats shot out from under the wheels and flew over our heads. One of them picked up a nice amount of side spin like a frisbee and landed gracefully about 3m from where we were standing. The car moved forward about 30cm.
 Numptys on our roads. - Fenlander
One of you should have driven and let her push... nothing like a fit woman pushing a car!
 Numptys on our roads. - Iffy
Easy to put a dent in a hatchback or bootlid while trying to push a modern car.

Numptys on our roads. - corax
If it was an auto it could be 'rocked' out of it's hole. I did this successfully with my Opel Monza. It needs a bit of timing, but works. Unfortunately I was watching the rear wheels with the drivers door open and the wheel span and spat out half a ton of mud against the crushed velour interior door trim :-)
Last edited by: corax on Wed 1 Dec 10 at 11:33
It's possible to rock a manual with a bit of clutch pumping.

Did that once with a Volvo stuck in mud.

Numptys on our roads. - Skoda
'scuse the ignorance :-) What's rocking, how do you do it? I fancy another skill in the toolbox.

Is it just stirring the gear lever? Mine wont go into R without footbrake :-(
 Numptys on our roads. - Zero
you dont need R

you can rock an auto using N - D - N - D - N - D
>> you dont need R
>>
>> you can rock an auto using N - D - N - D - N
>> - D

Yeah, that should do the same thing. As long as you have a transmission that doesn't have to think about it for 5 seconds between shifting.
>> 'scuse the ignorance :-) What's rocking, how do you do it? I fancy another skill
>> in the toolbox.
>>
>> Is it just stirring the gear lever? Mine wont go into R without footbrake :-(

Ah, it may not work then. It just means shunting the car back and forth quickly by shifting between drive and reverse in succession, each time getting a bit more travel using momentum, which you can use to finally heave the car over the 'hump' and out of it's misery. But having the footbrake on while you shift into reverse sort of defeats the object - damn modern cars :-)
 Numptys on our roads. - Tooslow
Move it gently forward. Before it hits resistance let it roll back. As it is about to stop and roll forward, gently "encourage" it with the tiniest bit of throttle. Repeat this and with any luck you will build up momentum and "tip over" the point you were getting stuck on and off you go.

John
 Numptys on our roads. - Skoda
Cheers, that makes sense. I wonder if it's possible just to cover the brake pedal, enough for the switch to trip the brake lights (and the transmission lock?) and stir it.

Finally a use for left foot braking on the highway? :-)
 Numptys on our roads. - Netsur
I got a friend out of the snow and ice earlier this year using carpet mats. However as has been said before, you need to press very gently on the gas and also helps to have a shovel to break up the ice in front of the driving wheels to create a bit more grip.

I managed to get grit down on the drive before the snow arrived this week, so moderately safe this winter. I have a friend with 'underground' heating elements under the drive surface. Very very expensive to use, but as its a steep hill, it could easily save a life or just a few thousand pounds worth of damage.
 Numptys on our roads. - Runfer D'Hills
Guy I knew in Scotland had a very steep drive. Ingeniously enough he installed a winch at the top of it to pull his car up and lower it down again when it was icy. Like the sort of thing they use on breakdown trucks.
...Cheers, that makes sense...

Using reverse - if you can - and drive to rock gives you the option of rocking out backwards as well as forwards.

Numptys on our roads. - -
Looking forward.;) to rocking one of our trucks with automated manual, many unprintable words to describe them and not a hope in hell of it working such is the delay in gear selection and throttle response moving off.

I followed a proper numpty a couple of weeks ago...she unfortunately...seemingly only able to travel at 40 mph...along the open road i assumed a safe driver, over the cross roads barely lifting off at the give way marks she must have assumed the minor road had priority...i hope, into the village, through the 30 limit, wrong side of give way traffic calming blockage narrowly missing a Fourtrack coming the other way, all at 40mph...the last incidents i viewed from increasing distance and with increasing incredulity as i did observe the 30 limit.

People changing offside tyres on a hard shoulder, why don't they put the n/s wheels to the left of the shoulder when able, the number of cars that are almost in line with the n/s lane side markings whilst you could drive a coach and four through the gap between the car and the verge, death wish?
Latest Forum Posts